Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in for new or buy AP to my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a used Model 3 (LR AWD) last month. It did not come with AP (or FSD). The cost differential vs buying a brand new one was about 4500. The car was built in 10/18. At that time, I was under the impression that I could retroactively add EAP or buy AP for 2000 and FSD for 3000 on top of that.
However, it turns out that the special pricing was only for those who bought this around the first half of March 2019. Since then, pricing for AP is 3000 and FSD is 6000.

I can trade in to tesla and purchase a brand new model 3 for about an extra $4500 (after the $1875 tax credit, no state credit in GA), or keep my car and purchase the AP for $3000 (thus saving about $1500).

What would you do?

So I bought a used Model 3 (LR AWD) last month. It did not come with AP (or FSD). The cost differential vs buying a brand new one was about 4500. The car was built in 10/18. At that time, I was under the impression that I could retroactively add EAP or buy AP for 2000 and FSD for 3000 on top of that.
However, it turns out that the special pricing was only for those who bought this around the first half of March 2019. Since then, pricing for AP is 3000 and FSD is 6000.

I can trade in to tesla and purchase a brand new model 3 for about an extra $4500 (after the $1875 tax credit, no state credit in GA), or keep my car and purchase the AP for $3000 (thus saving about $1500).

What would you do?

If those prices are accurate 100% trade it

If you're happy with your present Model 3...it doesn't have defects that nag you (rattles, paint issues, etc)...you like the color and wheels, then I'd keep it and spend the $3k.

Buying a new Model 3 could open a can of worms regarding factory defects that require service department correction.

It's obvious that if I can save $1,500, that would be my choice. Is there any other alternative to let me save even more?
Not get AP and save more. I drive to work about 30 miles each way in stop and go traffic and am thinking that AP would be valuable. Don't care that much about FSD.
Another option is to wait a few months and see if there are any incentives in Dec (like free upgrades/ free supercharger miles) and then do the trade in (depending on trade in value offered at that point in time).

In hindsight, I think I got swept up in the excitement of buying this amazing car that if I had waited for a couple of weeks, I could have taken advantage of the early Sept upgrades and freebies and ended up being better off. Oh well...

If you're happy with your present Model 3...it doesn't have defects that nag you (rattles, paint issues, etc)...you like the color and wheels, then I'd keep it and spend the $3k.

Buying a new Model 3 could open a can of worms regarding factory defects that require service department correction.
No such issues. The previous owner did tire rotation only once (right before he sold it) which means that fronts are at 5/32 and rears are at 8/32 which means I will need new tires in about a year. So if you factor that cost in.. probably weighs towards trading it in.
Does tesla care whether the car has AP or not when I trade it in? In other words, do they usually hold to the trade in estimate they provide upfront?

Is the new car you are shopping for the same model (LR AWD) as your present used car, and is the new car equipped identically to your present car with the exception of AP?
Current car is black with 18" wheel. I dont really care that much about the color, I would just go with the white. The color I want is Blue, so if early Dec they offer incentives (2 free upgrades), then I would use one to get the color and potentially the other one to upgrade the wheels to the 19"

Of course! They deduct whatever features that are missing and not activated as well as the assumption that you've got incentives even in reality that you did not!
So you are saying that the price they provided would be reduced by $3k to account for the fact that the car is missing AP? If that is the case, I would want to know that upfront.

Telsa usually does not offer a good trade in value for used Telsa's so your cost difference is surprising to me. I would definitely try and get confirmation of the trade in amount.
In my experience with an older car of a different brand, the number generated on their computer was exactly what they offered later.
I went to CarMax who offered a little more and Telsa upped their offer to match it.
My car was going to go to auction though, they may treat a car for their own fleet very differently.

Not sure why they are offering so much in your case, but waiting a couple of months could result in that offer going way down.

I have seen Tesla list CPO cars like mine at around 2-3k higher than what they offered me. Now to Tesla, adding AP to a car is a zero cost upgrade. They do not have any used inventory in ATL so maybe it is worth it for them to buy back? Just wishful thinking?

In hindsight, I think I got swept up in the excitement of buying this amazing car that if I had waited for a couple of weeks, I could have taken advantage of the early Sept upgrades and freebies and ended up being better off. Oh well...

Keep in mind those freebies were used in ways they did not original intend. That program lasted a few days, before it ended. Plenty got a good deal but the program overall was a communications mess. If they do it again it, expect it to be handled far differently and not that likely you can get the exact combo you want with free stuff like paint, wheels, etc...
Also that started up mid Sept not early Sept.
Was announced on 9/13 ; was cancelled 9/16 though kind of remained in limited form the rest of the month.

I have seen Tesla list CPO cars like mine at around 2-3k higher than what they offered me. Now to Tesla, adding AP to a car is a zero cost upgrade. They do not have any used inventory in ATL so maybe it is worth it for them to buy back? Just wishful thinking?

Worth it, no
But getting you to buy a new car and boost their Q4 delivery figure that might be the more important incentive to them.

Keep in mind those freebies were used in ways they did not original intend. That program lasted a few days, before it ended. Plenty got a good deal but the program overall was a communications mess. If they do it again it, expect it to be handled far differently and not that likely you can get the exact combo you want with free stuff like paint, wheels, etc...
Also that started up mid Sept not early Sept.
Was announced on 9/13 ; was cancelled 9/16 though kind of remained in limited form the rest of the month.
My service adviser told me that I had to order prior to 9/10 to benefit from those, but I guess you are correct. Again, those would be additional incentives and not factored into my cost analysis above.