Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I received my invite and configured my 3 yesterday!!

The Model 3 will be replacing my 2015 Acura TLX that is currently leased for $415 per month. I have 10 months left on the lease and my payoff is $26,200.

I took my car to the Acura dealership this morning hoping I could terminate my lease early since I only have 10k miles (without any fee).

But they were only willing to give me $23k for the car...unless I purchased/leased another Acura.

I don't see the value of paying $3k to return my car early when I can keep it for the remainder of the lease (10 months) for $4k.

CarGurus Market Value is: $28,686
Edmunds:
Private Party: $27, 209
Dealer Retail: $29,057
Trade-In: $25,029

Do you think Tesla would give me a better value if I trade-in with them?? What are my alternatives (CarMax, etc...)? What is the best way to sell with a private-party?

I am not looking to make a profit...just want to get out of my lease.

I received my invite and configured my 3 yesterday!!

<....>

Do you think Tesla would give me a better value if I trade-in with them?? What are my alternatives (CarMax, etc...)? What is the best way to sell with a private-party?

I am not looking to make a profit...just want to get out of my lease.

When I bought my Tesl Model S, I traded in my Fiat 500 Abarth with a Carmax quote. I plan to fo=do the same when buying the Model 3 and trade-in a Hyundai Elantra with its Carmax quote.

You need to read your lease agreement to answer those questions or call the leasing company.

Why not just wait and get the model 3 at the end of your lease?

Already ordered the 3 so it is too late to cancel now...and I want the tax credit. But I need to get $26,000 for my TLX.

What am I gonna do with 5 cars? Even 4 cars...can only fit 3 in the garage.

Is that a realistic amount? What have you seen used ones go for? If you think you can get that, an option is to pay off your lease and sell it private party.

The dealer is selling a similar car with nearly 2x the miles for $28k. So my $26k is about right.

But I will check out Vroom, Carmax, Beepi, Swift, and Roadster. Anyone recommend anything else??

I heard Tesla matches CarMax and Beepi, is that true??

If neither one of those get me $26k...I will go to Craiglist, Ebay, Nextdoor, Cargurus and try to sell the car myself. But I haven't sold a car myself before so I am worried about getting scammed....even cashier checks can't be trusted anymore. Maybe I should accept bitcoin only lol

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and DR61
But I haven't sold a car myself before so I am worried about getting scammed....even cashier checks can't be trusted anymore. Maybe I should accept bitcoin only lol
Funny you mention this .. I just sold a car and learned a little along the way.

If you go to the buyer's bank with the buyer, you can receive a bank check that has zero chance of being a counterfeit.
If you have an account at that bank you can deposit it into your account immediately, otherwise you have to deposit the check at whatever bank you do use and you take a small risk of the check being lost/stolen/damaged in the meantime.

In my case, I took the bank check home. Smarter would have been to use my bank's electronic deposit feature right at the buyer's bank.

Funny you mention this .. I just sold a car and learned a little along the way.

If you go to the buyer's bank with the buyer, you can receive a bank check that has zero chance of being a counterfeit.
If you have an account at that bank you can deposit it into your account immediately, otherwise you have to deposit the check at whatever bank you do use and you take a small risk of the check being lost/stolen/damaged in the meantime.

In my case, I took the bank check home. Smarter would have been to use my bank's electronic deposit feature right at the buyer's bank.

Thanks for the info...how did you find the buyer??

KBB just gave me a super low instant cash offer of $20,180 and shift offered me $24,700.

Still holding out for $26k