TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trade-in impact on delivery date

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by BTaylor32185, May 10, 2018.

1. BTaylor32185

BTaylor32185 Member

#1 BTaylor32185, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Does opting to trade in another vehicle when ordering your Model 3 have any impact on VIN assignment or delivery date?

I ordered on 4/18 and I'm hoping that I can take delivery by the end of May because I'm going on a vacation in early June and I would really like to take the new car on the trip. I'd be willing to forgo the trade-in if it meant that I could get the car sooner.

2. Emmexx1

Emmexx1 Member

No additional time in my experience. The main thing is getting the VIN. Once you get that, the process flies. I had my VIN on the 30th and have delivery set for the 18th.

I just finished the trade-in part today and everything else is a go.

I set my delivery up Monday for next Friday. I went through the trade-in steps through the website. My sales advisor, already amazing, was extremely helpful in tips about it. Tesla made an offer, I had an appraisal done at Carmax for verification, and submitted it today. My advisor updated my information from my email to my account and all the boxes are checked. The delivery date is unaffected.

I would suggest discussing the trade-in value once you have a rough estimate of a delivery window.

3. chowfun

chowfun Member

What was the value from Tesla compared to Carmax? Were they able to match? I have to trade in the car too and there's not much info on the process. Any info you can provide is appreciated.

4. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

Trade in process is as follows

Once you have a vin, the ISA will open up the option in your tesla.com account. It will then send you an text message sending you to a different web site (not sure why it's a text message).
    Once you're in the web site it will ask for VIN, mileage, condition and if there is a loan, the bank, account number of the loan plus your SSN.

then it will have you take photos of the car - front angle, side, back angle and dash. Plus a picture of the title (since mine is still owned by the bank, I gave them a photo of the registration just so I can hit submit)

the ISA takes all those photos and submits it to their appraiser and comes back to you with a price. If it's low you can go to carmax and hope they give you a higher appraisal and Tesla will match it.

5. Emmexx1

Emmexx1 Member

Same thing I went through. Thanks JT. Carmax actually matched what Tesla quoted me. If Carmax is higher, email Tesla sales advisor a photo of the appraisal and thats it. If not, and you accept the offer, just submit title pictures, front and back, and agree to offer. Sales advisor should walk you though this as well if any stumbling blocks.

6. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

Yes, this portion added up to a week's delay to *delivery. I should've bypassed and just went straight to Carvana (easiest way to sell a car, ever).

*I still don't have the vehicle 2+ weeks later as a result of factory defects and botched body shop repairs.

7. vijay0129

vijay0129 New Member

I don't believe it makes a difference as long as your rep is engaging the trade-in people quickly. From my experience, the 2 are happening in parallel (trade-in valuation and the delivery/financing etc)

• Like x 1
  8. Emmexx1

Emmexx1 Member

Agreed. I completed my trade-in while I was waiting for the car to reach the pickup destination.

9. dduffey

dduffey Member

For me, after VIN assignment it was the last thing holding up the final agreement to sign and setting a delivery date (Texas). Initial expectations was getting a trade-in value in "24-48" hours.

Four business days later the agent said they were still waiting on the trade-in team. I cancelled the trade-in (via the website) and within 30 minutes was able to sign and execute the final agreement.

In short it added 4+ days to the process in my (Texas) experience. Maybe longer because it was also 4 days after VIN assignment before I could submit trade-in info. If I had not elected to do a trade-in maybe (guessing only) it would have allowed me to finalize the agreement sooner.

10. dduffey

dduffey Member

For Texas, Tesla won't/can't load the vehicle for shipping until the final agreement is signed and fully funded. In order to finalize the agreement they need the trade-in value. So you need to wait for the trade-in to get the agreement to get the final value to mail/wire/ACH to Tesla and then wait for confirmation of posting to Tesla's bank, then wait for the car to be loaded onto a truck, at which point they can then schedule a delivery time.