Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in - inform DVLA of sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3LR on Monday and traded in my Mini. I went to the DVLA website today to complete the paperwork and it said the car had already been reported as sold. Has anyone else who has part-ex'd found that Tesla informed DVLA on their behalf? I assume then I have nothing to do and should await a cheque as part refund of car tax on the Mini?

I picked up my M3LR on Monday and traded in my Mini. I went to the DVLA website today to complete the paperwork and it said the car had already been reported as sold. Has anyone else who has part-ex'd found that Tesla informed DVLA on their behalf? I assume then I have nothing to do and should await a cheque as part refund of car tax on the Mini?
its really supposed to be the seller who does it but anyone who has the V5, or one of the tear off slips from it, or just the document number from the V5 can do it so looks like that is what Tesla have done. No there is nothing else to do. you should get a letter from DVLA confirming that you are no longer keeper and a refund by cheque if one is owed. It's usually pretty quick, a few days, but who knows how much of DVLA is still running normally in these strange CORVID-19 times?

Hi, like Jason71 said, THEY are meant to do this for you.
I always had the motor traders doing it.. but somehow I beat them to it :p

I guess I just want to make sure it’s done.
I reported my trade in while waiting to pick up my car.. so I had piece of mind it was done...

the seller is supposed to do it not the motor trader, but I've never met a trader that doesn't want to do it themselves. The trader needs it to happen to sell the car on, but the seller could forget or not bother. It's a standard part of the Tesla trade in process, so while you "should" report it, I personally wouldn't bother, unless I didn't get confirmation from the DVLA within a couple of weeks.

Hi, like Jason71 said, THEY are meant to do this for you.
I always had the motor traders doing it.. but somehow I beat them to it :p

I guess I just want to make sure it’s done.
I reported my trade in while waiting to pick up my car.. so I had piece of mind it was done...
Um actually I said the seller. It used to be the other way around once but it didn't work well. the logic being there is little incentive for the buyer to rush to do it since they can drive around on your tax and you get the speeding fines etc so more incentive for you to do it so they changed it to the seller. doesn't really matter at the end of the day so long as someone does it