Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In M3 with FSD Beta for Model S FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to take delivery of Model S Plaid in January with FSD and considering trading in my M3 with FSD Beta (10.5). Does anyone have any idea if the Safety Score attaches to driver or car? In other words, when I trade in the M3, will I have to go through the Safety Score process all over again to get full FSD on the Model S. Does the new owner (if sell private party) retain the FSD full Beta or do they have to start all over wrt Safety Score. So far no reply from Tesla which is not too surprising.

See this related thread: Selling A Beta Car

I think it's pretty certain that you'll have to start over with the new car, and it's likely that the new owner of your car will have to start over too, but there was some doubt about that part.

Don't forget to do a Factory Reset before giving up the car to erase all your personal data. A Factory Reset doesn't update the firmware, so I don't think that has any impact on FSD Beta functionality.

I know this official Tesla post is re Safety Score, but I’d guess it also applies to FSD beta:

From Safety Score Beta
How does my Safety Score work if I have more than one vehicle?
Your Safety Score is vehicle specific. If you have more than one Tesla vehicle, each one of your Tesla vehicles will have its own Safety Score.

What happens to my Safety Score if I sell my vehicle?
If the vehicle ownership changes, the Safety Score data previously collected will not be used for the vehicle under the new owner, nor will it be used for a new Tesla vehicle you purchase.

See this related thread: Selling A Beta Car

I think it's pretty certain that you'll have to start over with the new car, and it's likely that the new owner of your car will have to start over too, but there was some doubt about that part.

Don't forget to do a Factory Reset before giving up the car to erase all your personal data. A Factory Reset doesn't update the firmware, so I don't think that has any impact on FSD Beta functionality.
Factory reset caused me to lose navigate on autopilot and I had EAP and up graded it to the FSD package. I have to wait for them to push those features to my car again.

Traded in my Model 3 with FSD Beta for a 2022 Model 3 at the end of Dec 2021 and had to begin the safety score all over again.
“Perseverance Furthers”

im getting ready to do this now. did you do anything to try and get your data to swap over? did you email the beta team or try and reach out to someone at tesla to see if they could help? i read the FAQ above under the safety score that states the data collecting process has to start over again but still wanted to ask on your experience.

did you do anything to have the beta REMOVED?

Over the course of the 2 months that I was waiting for my new car I emailed the early access and beta teams at the advice of the several people I talked to from Tesla on the phone, and never got an email response. After reading what I could find I came to the conclusion that the beta software is vin related and opted in on my new Model 3. My first 30 days of my new safety score is up tomorrow. I will see what happens. when I left my trade in at the Tesla Store In Mesa, Az the beta software was still in the car.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt