Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in match?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I searched this forum and got conflicting messages. Some said that the car max trade-in match went away as of June 1. Others said it is still available for non Tesla trade-in. Can someone confirm if I can get Tesla to match my car max trade-in offer? Thanks.

I got offers from Tesla, CarMax, Vroom and Carvana for a 2013 BMW X3. Carvana was the best so I went with them. They were $600 more than Carmax and over $1500 more than Tesla so I would shop around. The advantage of selling to one of these rather than Tesla is you can arrange for the car to be picked up after you get your Tesla so if there are quality problems you still have a car. You will lose any sales tax benefit but in my case the higher trade in more than offset the tax difference.

Sorry newbie question. I am in the process of getting a trade in quote from Tesla for a non-Tesla. They have sent me an offer and want me to accept the offer. I am 2-4 weeks out from delivery. Do I have to click accept offer and upload title in order to proceed with getting assigned a MY? I don't want to be locked into trading in to Tesla since I have not gotten offers from CarMax, Vroom, and Carvana. Those offers are only good for 7 days, so I was waiting until I get a delivery date. TIA!

They have sent me an offer and want me to accept the offer. I am 2-4 weeks out from delivery. Do I have to click accept offer and upload title in order to proceed with getting assigned a MY?

You can take your trade-in off the table after accepting their offer. I got the offer from Tesla for my 2009 RAV4, then shopped Carvana and Carmax. Carmax offered $2100 more than Tesla did, and $1000 more than Carvana. This more than offset the extra sales tax on the purchase of the Y. After getting the appraisal from Carmax, I called Tesla and had them take the trade-in off of the deal. The sales associate I spoke with said this has become more common since Tesla stopped matching offers from Carmax.

If your state offers a trade-in tax credit just make sure that its worth it to do a trade-in elsewhere. For example, I got a slightly better offer through Carmax but only by $500. Even with the value being less by going through Tesla, I saved money trading in my vehicle with Tesla when factoring in taxes.

Reactions: Matsayz
Well I was going to pick up MY this weekend and my trade in offer expired yesterday. They had me resubmit mileage which was only 200 miles in last 7 weeks I was waiting for my vehicle and now they offer me $1500 less. Sounds like bait and switch to me. My SA states nothing he can do to help...they just don’t care so use this as a warning if you have a trade-in. Walking away.

Well I was going to pick up MY this weekend and my trade in offer expired yesterday. They had me resubmit mileage which was only 200 miles in last 7 weeks I was waiting for my vehicle and now they offer me $1500 less. Sounds like bait and switch to me. My SA states nothing he can do to help...they just don’t care so use this as a warning if you have a trade-in. Walking away.

I had my trade re-evaluated after approximately 1000 miles and the value dropped from 14k to 13.5k, seems really odd to me that they give trade values good for 30 days when you are getting ready to place an order, but lead time when I ordered was 5-9 weeks, so the trade offer never could have been valid. This is normal for Tesla but a consumer who has dealt with other brands for their entire car buying experience where the deal is the deal when you make the deal. Tesla changes it in their favor at the last minute pissing off the customer who was under the impression they had agreed on a total package. Leaves a bad taste in the buyers mouth. I love my Model Y but everyone who asks me about it hears alot more about how Tesla sucks to do business with and their delivery quality, albeit improving, still is pretty sad for vehicles at this price point.

Mine only went down $500 so I was angry but it was still the best I could get so I didn't walk away.

Depreciation continues marching along with the passage of time. As a car ages it’s value in the “blue book “ continues to drop. The problem is that they don’t inform you that this will happen ahead of time. Hence the 30 day time limit.

I was planning to trade in with Tesla, but though would shop around, so I went to carmax, tried the KBB fast cash and Carvana. Carmax was worst, like $2k less than both Tesla and Carvana for my 2017 fully loaded MX5. KBB was okay, but free hundreds less, so I went with Carvana. They have pretty easy and clean process. So I would suggest don’t get hung up with the Tesla trade in, though learned that that’s quite an easy process as well.

So update is my SA was able to pull strings after 2 days work and lock me back in to original trade in quote. The day before pick up I received a text stating car is delayed and I have a new delivery date this Friday. Oh well looking forward to driving the car.

I had my trade re-evaluated after approximately 1000 miles and the value dropped from 14k to 13.5k, seems really odd to me that they give trade values good for 30 days when you are getting ready to place an order, but lead time when I ordered was 5-9 weeks, so the trade offer never could have been valid. This is normal for Tesla but a consumer who has dealt with other brands for their entire car buying experience where the deal is the deal when you make the deal. Tesla changes it in their favor at the last minute pissing off the customer who was under the impression they had agreed on a total package. Leaves a bad taste in the buyers mouth. I love my Model Y but everyone who asks me about it hears alot more about how Tesla sucks to do business with and their delivery quality, albeit improving, still is pretty sad for vehicles at this price point.

Mine only went down $500 so I was angry but it was still the best I could get so I didn't walk away.
My Model 3 2019 trade in offer went down $2800 from original offer. I was pissed off and I did cancel my Model Y order. no Carmax or anything similar in Canada and I didn't want to do person to person Covid Kijij sale. When tesla will have REAL competition in Canada they will offer fairer trade-in policies that stick over the length of delivery delays. After a few months of this happening I am very happy with my 2019 Model 3 which is loan free.