Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Match?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see if there has been any adjustments on RECENT Tesla Trade In valuations with CarMax, Carvana, Algo, etc. Given the sales tax savings for most states for trade-ins, even a couple of thousand in adjustments can make a big difference.

I know in the past there have been some adjustments made to better compete with other car buying services, but wanted to see if there have been any recent attempts given the high valuations for used cars now.

I wanted to see if there has been any adjustments on RECENT Tesla Trade In valuations with CarMax, Carvana, Algo, etc. Given the sales tax savings for most states for trade-ins, even a couple of thousand in adjustments can make a big difference.

I know in the past there have been some adjustments made to better compete with other car buying services, but wanted to see if there have been any recent attempts given the high valuations for used cars now.
Tesla stopped matching competitor trade ins a while back.

They really do not want your used car.

Tesla trade-in value has always been many thousands more than Carvana for me. For my 2018 (~45,000 miles), Carvana: 72,000; Tesla trade-in: 82,500. So far, Tesla increases the value every month that I update the mileage.

I'm very surprised at this. I tried getting a trade in for my 2018 Model S (35k). Tesla offering me $22k (!!!). Carvana/Vroom/Carmax in the mid 50s. The car even had a MCU upgrade and prepaid FSD. The only thing I can think of is that when. I took the photos to upload to Tesla, I had my winter tires on which do not have OEM rims. Perhaps the adjuster at Tesla didn't like the look? They were gray turbines similar to Tesla but matte.

Unless Tesla can come close to the other car purchases, will NOT be trading in through Tesla. I miss the days where they matched CarMax.

I'm very surprised at this. I tried getting a trade in for my 2018 Model S (35k). Tesla offering me $22k (!!!). Carvana/Vroom/Carmax in the mid 50s. The car even had a MCU upgrade and prepaid FSD. The only thing I can think of is that when. I took the photos to upload to Tesla, I had my winter tires on which do not have OEM rims. Perhaps the adjuster at Tesla didn't like the look? They were gray turbines similar to Tesla but matte.

Unless Tesla can come close to the other car purchases, will NOT be trading in through Tesla. I miss the days where they matched CarMax.
Did you ask your SA.
I just did and am waiting to hear back.

I'm trading in a PHEV from another company. Tesla's offer is a little lower than carmax/carvana/vroom, but with the savings in sales tax and the lower capital gains tax (all are offering more than I paid for the car when I bought it 10 months ago), it is pretty close to a wash to just trade it in.