Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in mileage UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I know there have been some older discussions around the topic but none that answer my specific question, would appreciate any insight!

I'm going to be trading in my car when i pick up my M3 in (hopefully) 6 or so weeks. I know as part of the final valuation, you're only allowed to do 1240 further miles per month until the trade in date. Does anyone know if this is pro-rata'd for days in a month e.g. if there was 1 and a half months between valuation accepted and trade in, would the allowed further mileage be 1880?

I can't imagine it would be the case that each calendar month would be a hard cut +1240 right? Has anyone got experience of this with a Tesla Trade In?

Thanks

Hi,
I plan to trade in my vehicle, the support pages says:

How long is the trade-in offer valid?
An Estimated Offer is valid for 7 days. Once an Estimated Offer is applied to an order it will convert into a Final Offer, which is valid for 60 days.

I cannot find if there is a mileage cap also, older posts reference up to 1000 miles and 30 days but not sure if that's for the US?

Cheers.

Reactions: Andyb5
Upvote 0
Hi

I did the same a couple of weeks ago, what I was told was that it is approx. 1000 Miles per month by Tesla in the UK (there was a delay in getting my log book changed etc).

I said I needed to use my car until I picked up my new one, they said yes the above limit is there so you can carry on using it until you trade in

Reactions: tesstuff
Upvote 0
Hi,
I plan to trade in my vehicle, the support pages says:

How long is the trade-in offer valid?
An Estimated Offer is valid for 7 days. Once an Estimated Offer is applied to an order it will convert into a Final Offer, which is valid for 60 days.

I cannot find if there is a mileage cap also, older posts reference up to 1000 miles and 30 days but not sure if that's for the US?

Cheers.
From the trade in T's&C's
"odometer will not increase by 1,240 miles or more per month at delivery of the Tesla Vehicle, calculated from the first odometer reading Seller has provided."

Last edited:
Reactions: tesstuff
Upvote 0
From the trade in T's&C's
"odometer will not increase by 1,240 miles or more per month at delivery of the Tesla Vehicle, calculated from the first odometer reading Seller has provided."
They are going to get a shock when I take mine in. Since I ordered on 7th March 2022 I have already added 6k miles to mine in two month.

I asked Tesla about this last week and they told me my deal offer was locked regardless of mileage once I ticked the box and accepted the price.

That's good enough for me.:)

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I know there have been some older discussions around the topic but none that answer my specific question, would appreciate any insight!

I'm going to be trading in my car when i pick up my M3 in (hopefully) 6 or so weeks. I know as part of the final valuation, you're only allowed to do 1240 further miles per month until the trade in date. Does anyone know if this is pro-rata'd for days in a month e.g. if there was 1 and a half months between valuation accepted and trade in, would the allowed further mileage be 1880?

I can't imagine it would be the case that each calendar month would be a hard cut +1240 right? Has anyone got experience of this with a Tesla Trade In?

Thanks
I asked Tesla about this last week and they told me my deal offer was locked regardless of mileage once I ticked the box and accepted the price.

I have added 6k miles to mine since ordering.

Upvote 0
They are going to get a shock when I take mine in. Since I ordered on 7th March 2022 I have already added 6k miles to mine in two month.

I hope you have that in writing because that is not what the Terms say and it would be crazy for Tesla to keep the same price irrespective of mileage. Don't expect them to honour it just because some random CS rep allegedly said it was fine.

Its probably irrelevant anyway because the lock is only for 60days so I am assuming you got your final price post pictures in March some time based on your order date which means your 60days will expire before you get a car anyway at which point Tesla will want to re-quote based on your current mileage anyway.

Upvote 0
I hope you have that in writing because that is not what the Terms say and it would be crazy for Tesla to keep the same price irrespective of mileage. Don't expect them to honour it just because some random CS rep allegedly said it was fine.

Its probably irrelevant anyway because the lock is only for 60days so I am assuming you got your final price post pictures in March some time based on your order date which means your 60days will expire before you get a car anyway at which point Tesla will want to re-quote based on your current mileage anyway.
I'll keep you updated as and when Jason.👍

Upvote 0
I ordered on the 5th of March so I am in a similar situation. My final price did not come back until the 21st . my mileage is not excessive but still no idea what will happen to my trade in price post 21st of May. I think there will be a lot of others in a similar situation
Agreed 100%. This did worry me if I'm honest because my first offer was very decent indeed, they then came back after 3 weeks with another lowball offer (almost £4k less than the original) to which I was shocked, The lower offer was still more than WBAC or Motorway offered so I ticked the box and accepted as quoted. I now have an agreement "In writing" with the price of the new car, the price they offered me (second offer) and the balance that is to pay.
I have that in my account now and like you was worried about the 1200 or so miles per month that is allowed. I have been on two occasions to Tesla asking the same question "will they come back with yet another lower offer because of the mileage I am doing"
They assured me (verbally) that my price was locked in with the balance that has to be paid when the car arrives.

Any further reductions and I will be shouting from the rooftops.

Upvote 0
Agreed 100%. This did worry me if I'm honest because my first offer was very decent indeed, they then came back after 3 weeks with another lowball offer (almost £4k less than the original) to which I was shocked, The lower offer was still more than WBAC or Motorway offered so I ticked the box and accepted as quoted. I now have an agreement "In writing" with the price of the new car, the price they offered me (second offer) and the balance that is to pay.
I have that in my account now and like you was worried about the 1200 or so miles per month that is allowed. I have been on two occasions to Tesla asking the same question "will they come back with yet another lower offer because of the mileage I am doing"
They assured me (verbally) that my price was locked in with the balance that has to be paid when the car arrives.

Any further reductions and I will be shouting from the rooftops.
Basically it will come to trade in day and the person at the desk will ask the mileage, I’ve not heard of anyone then being charged more or turned away, I really doubt they will care as most people would be within the limits

Reactions: busterboy
Upvote 0
The small print on my email estimate was as below;

*Price is subject to Terms and Conditions. This trade-in estimate (“Estimated Offer”) will be valid for 7 days as long as the trade-in vehicle meets the requirements of the Terms and Conditions, among others that it is free of major cosmetic and mechanical issues, has no history of any accidents, is drivable, and the odometer reading does not increase by 2,485 miles or more. A vehicle history check, where applicable, will be performed on your vehicle prior to delivery to ensure the history of the vehicle is clear.

I have calculated the mileage I provided for the estimate and added 2485 and will make sure my mileage on trade in day does not exceed this.

Upvote 0
so just T&Cs filler then

Might also be ignorance on the part of the advisor. But it is also entirely possible that Tesla won't check / care at trade in. They are pretty casual about that (I've done it twice, neither had any visual inspection, nor a check that the cables etc. were present - although maybe if they weren't they would have contacted me afterwards ... although "paperwork done" by then ... so not sure they'd have many legs to stand on. "Definitely present when I dropped it off Gov" ...)

My trade-ins were Tesla cars, so they would have had plenty of data on their systems about them, so also possible they are more casual about own-brand

All speculation! We could do with a comment from someone who traded in a car which had gone massively over the mileage allowance (1,000-ish miles per month I think)

Upvote 0
I got concerned about mileage and a dent in my door that someone gifted me a week before trade in my M3 for an MY. I do 1600miles/month (so was over their allowance) and the dent was clear. The Telsa guys were looking at it while having a cigarette as I drive out in the new MY. After signing the T and C I was convinced I was going to get a call to charge me. I spent the next 2 weeks worrying they would call, but they didn't. They paid off the finance and I never heard anything. So I really think you have to go a long way to cause them to take any recourse. In fact I have not seen anyone on the forum saying that Tesla has come back to them on a trade in to ask for a further payment.

Upvote 0
I got concerned about mileage and a dent in my door that someone gifted me a week before trade in my M3 for an MY. I do 1600miles/month (so was over their allowance) and the dent was clear. The Telsa guys were looking at it while having a cigarette as I drive out in the new MY. After signing the T and C I was convinced I was going to get a call to charge me. I spent the next 2 weeks worrying they would call, but they didn't. They paid off the finance and I never heard anything. So I really think you have to go a long way to cause them to take any recourse. In fact I have not seen anyone on the forum saying that Tesla has come back to them on a trade in to ask for a further payment.
That's really good to hear - thanks for letting me know!

Upvote 0