Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in now or wait to sell when CT3 comes out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was hoping my CT3 l(preordered first day)would have been out in first of next year but that isn’t happening. So I have a 2017 Ford F-150 now. The trade in market is very strong now and my Fors is about to go out of warranty and I have had trouble with it my entire time owning it. I am thinking of trading my Ford in now for a new Toyota Tacoma. My reasoning is that the Tacoma has an insane resale value(I had one before my Ford) so it will still be worth more than what my current Ford is worth. Would you all trade now for Tacoma and then in 2 years when CT comes out trade the Tacoma? Or would you risk the depreciation of the Ford and possible repair costs?

if your primary motive for selling the ford for a tacoma is resale value, you will very likely not come out ahead $ wise. I would rather risk the depreciation of the Ford given most of the depreciation of a vehicle happens in the first 2 years. Although you cited having trouble with the Ford the entire time you owned it, so you should consider weighing your decision more heavily on vehicle reliability than resale value.

Consider:
You are selling a used vehicle to buy a brand new vehicle because the new vehicle will have higher resale value in 2 years. You will not get back the money you spend on the new truck with trade in values. Unless the trade in on the Ford is higher/same as new Tacoma.

if your primary motive for selling the ford for a tacoma is resale value, you will very likely not come out ahead $ wise. I would rather risk the depreciation of the Ford given most of the depreciation of a vehicle happens in the first 2 years. Although you cited having trouble with the Ford the entire time you owned it, so you should consider weighing your decision more heavily on vehicle reliability than resale value.

Consider:
You are selling a used vehicle to buy a brand new vehicle because the new vehicle will have higher resale value in 2 years. You will not get back the money you spend on the new truck with trade in values. Unless the trade in on the Ford is higher/same as new Tacoma.
That is the thing I can pretty much trade the 2017 F150 even over to a 2021 Tacoma, maybe pay $2k. Still trying to decide if I “need” a truck and rather trade the Ford for a MYP instead and dip my toe into Tesla and when CT comes out give my wife the MYP and get the CT

I would buy the Model Y now and then get the Cybertruck when it comes out. I cannot drive an ICE anymore. I went through some bad financial straits, so I am stuck driving a Kia Soul EV. I really miss my Model S P100DL... I'm hoping that I will recover enough by the time the Cybertruck comes out that I can pay cash.

Brent

That is the thing I can pretty much trade the 2017 F150 even over to a 2021 Tacoma, maybe pay $2k. Still trying to decide if I “need” a truck and rather trade the Ford for a MYP instead and dip my toe into Tesla and when CT comes out give my wife the MYP and get the CT
Not a bad deal then all things considered. Maybe downgrade if you can since its just a short term interim car.

I’m am heavily leaning toward the Model Y just deciding if I need to get FSD. I always wanted it but saving that $10k would be nice. But part of having a Tesla IMO is for the advanced tech including option of FSD in future
Save your $10K for now because currently FSD is IMO "fools gold" for us but pure profit for Te$la. It's pretty much unusable at this point and now is undergoing a major revision with "Vision Only" cars. No one knows if it will actually ever be usable as described with the current hardware in Tesla vehicles.

I was in Manhattan last week- some of the construction had crazy road patterns around the sites... signs that said one thing and a flag person pointing you the other way, cones missing from lanes that ended in a 8' deep hole if you took that lane, etc... just stuff that there was no way FSD could handle.

Save your $10K for now because currently FSD is IMO "fools gold" for us but pure profit for Te$la. It's pretty much unusable at this point and now is undergoing a major revision with "Vision Only" cars. No one knows if it will actually ever be usable as described with the current hardware in Tesla vehicles.

I was in Manhattan last week- some of the construction had crazy road patterns around the sites... signs that said one thing and a flag person pointing you the other way, cones missing from lanes that ended in a 8' deep hole if you took that lane, etc... just stuff that there was no way FSD could handle.
I put an order for a MYP no FSD in metallic blue. Pretty excited. Hoping my truck will have a new transmission put in by November(
Just got that estimate from my dealer) so I can seek it before I take delivery

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I’m am heavily leaning toward the Model Y just deciding if I need to get FSD. I always wanted it but saving that $10k would be nice. But part of having a Tesla IMO is for the advanced tech including option of FSD in future
We got FSD on our MS in 2019. I am not ordering it on my MX refresh ordered. I think basic autopilot is all I need. Smart summon are party tricks and not really reliable. IMO Save the $10,000 if you buy a Tesla.