Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In - Older Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I know there are several threads on trade-ins for purchasing a Tesla but I'm not sure I found one pertaining to my situation. I know that selling private party is probably the way to achieve maximum value, but I wanted to entertain Tesla's trade in as it was higher than Carvana, Carmax, etc. I'm trading in a 2005 Subaru Forester that's been a workhorse for us - I've taken the car across the country several times, the paint needs work, there's rust around the body, etc. We have small kids now and the interior is just a mess. Mechanically it's sound.

I did the online trade in thing and took pictures of everything, but is there a possibility that on day of delivery that Tesla would change their offer, and if so, how do you resolve that? Would I just have to bring a check book to cover the difference? Would they just pull it from the bank account?

I'm planning to finance my MY but haven't decided if I'll rate match to Tesla or give DCU the business.

Thanks for any advice.

Clean out the interior and run it through the car wash on your way over to pick up the Tesla. They will take your keys and ask you to sign some papers. They hardly even looked at my car ……. Maybe just to verify the odometer reading. My guess it was off to auction the next day.

You should be fine ….. based on mileage and pictures you sent them, they know what they’re getting.