Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in price changed in one week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any help anyone can provide with a bad buying experience would be appreciated. Please see below email I just sent to Tesla in the hopes someone has some decency to step in and assist.

Hello,

I hope this email finds you all well. I regretfully am having a very difficult experience with Tesla Sales in regards to my recent order for a new 2022 Model 3 Long Range and am in desperate need of some assistance.

I recently paid the $250.00 deposit and completed and passed the credit process for a new lease. I have uploaded the documentation for my trade-in and have received my offer of $21,000.00. Previously within the last few weeks I originally was on my way to purchasing a pre-owned 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range through Tesla direct. I paid the $500.00 deposit and after having a few questions answered along with review of the vehicle I decided it was best to go new. I was advised that my deposit was not transferable though I was remaining with Tesla. During the process of looking to purchase the pre-owned Tesla i was quoted a trade-in value of the same vehicle of $22,300.00.

Within a weeks time my vehicle value with Tesla went from $22,300.00 with purchasing a used vehicle to now only $21,000.00 in leasing a brand new vehicle. I would have assumed the value of the vehicle would have remained the same as nothing has changed. I'm not looking to take my business anywhere else but with Tesla but I can't afford to keep losing money this way and I don't believe your corporation is about treating customers this way, it's another major reason why we're choosing you over your competition.

I am now out of pocket a total of $750.00, and am being offered $1,300 less for my vehicle then what I was offered a week ago.

I know you a large company but I am desperately in need of help. My wife and I work very hard for what we have and this was a major purchase for us as we love what Tesla as a company represents and wanted to be very much part of the movement. I am 48 years of age with 4 daughters and money is always a consideration for us. We were expecting a much different experience given what I consistently read and watch on Elon and your organization. I'm hoping you can please step in here and provide some positive change to what is quickly becoming a very sad and costly situation for my family and I.

I have multiple text messages out to your Sales Team as instructed but have not received a response at this time.

Please help.

Kind regards,

Keith

There are no deposits with Tesla. The $250 is a non refundable order fee. I don’t know what the $500 is for. Was it transported from a different location?

Sorry to hear about your mess with Tesla. The company can be very robotic sometimes. Their internal rules provide no flexibility.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I thankfully heard back from them and they stood by their originally trade in offer thankfully. Thanks for the clarification on the order fee. Still a little put back as to why it couldn’t be transferred to another Tesla vehicle. For all the complaining I did about traditional car dealers, the one thing I do know is that would not have happened, they would have been happy to keep the business and not lose it.
I’m keeping my hopes up for when my vehicle is ready for delivery, which initially stated in April and now shows a May/June timeline. Again, not winning fans like that.

I thankfully heard back from them and they stood by their originally trade in offer thankfully. Thanks for the clarification on the order fee. Still a little put back as to why it couldn’t be transferred to another Tesla vehicle. For all the complaining I did about traditional car dealers, the one thing I do know is that would not have happened, they would have been happy to keep the business and not lose it.
I’m keeping my hopes up for when my vehicle is ready for delivery, which initially stated in April and now shows a May/June timeline. Again, not winning fans like that.

Tesla can be weird.

I had a trade-in evaluated for a M3SR+ then I found a MYLR in the inventory and had to re-do the entire trade-in valuation process again (that finished 1-2 days before). They finally realize how foolish it was to re-do it and moved the "old" trade value amount to the new order.