Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Process in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested in purchasing the 3 with a trade in. I understand the trade in process is initiated once the deposit is placed. Pictures and other information is uploaded and evaluation is given. Does anyone know if they match offers from dealers?

Interested in purchasing the 3 with a trade in. I understand the trade in process is initiated once the deposit is placed. Pictures and other information is uploaded and evaluation is given. Does anyone know if they match offers from dealers?
Not sure about the dealers, but when I traded my 2017 Rav4 Hybrid, Tesla gave me the highest quote that is found in the Canadianblackbook. My Rav4 was in mint condition.

No negotiation, and don't expect to get anything above wholesale. They offered me 24k for my 2017 volt last September, I sold it for 32k. I had a friend trade in his 2017 bolt in June. He went with Tesla's offer of around 31k I believe, but could have sold it for probably 36-38k. He didn't want the hassle and took the tesla offer.

Bottom line, if you need to maximize your trade value to out more against the car sell privately. If you don't want the hassle of selling, take Tesla's lowball offer but have the convenience of driving in and then out in a new tesla.

They don't re sell the car themselves, it goes to auction for others to sell so their offer will always be lower than auto trader average by around 15-20%.

They won't negotiate, someone else will buy your tesla :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Struja and Vawlkus
No negotiation, and don't expect to get anything above wholesale. They offered me 24k for my 2017 volt last September, I sold it for 32k. I had a friend trade in his 2017 bolt in June. He went with Tesla's offer of around 31k I believe, but could have sold it for probably 36-38k. He didn't want the hassle and took the tesla offer.

Bottom line, if you need to maximize your trade value to out more against the car sell privately. If you don't want the hassle of selling, take Tesla's lowball offer but have the convenience of driving in and then out in a new tesla.

They don't re sell the car themselves, it goes to auction for others to sell so their offer will always be lower than auto trader average by around 15-20%.

They won't negotiate, someone else will buy your tesla :cool:
I can tell that you feel like Tesla slighted you or something with their offer for your Volt, but it doesn’t mean that every offer is a lowball offer... it sounds like you friend actually did well with his Bolt once you factor in tax savings. Pretty close to if he had sold privately with A LOT less hassle (when tax savings is factored in).

I think we’ve all been naive in the past to think that traditional car dealerships trade in values can be negotiated to an actual benefit. Most times it’s on a sliding scale of trade in value vs MSRP of the car you’re purchasing. One goes down, the other goes up, or vice versa.

I can tell that you feel like Tesla slighted you or something with their offer for your Volt, but it doesn’t mean that every offer is a lowball offer... it sounds like you friend actually did well with his Bolt once you factor in tax savings. Pretty close to if he had sold privately with A LOT less hassle (when tax savings is factored in).

I think we’ve all been naive in the past to think that traditional car dealerships trade in values can be negotiated to an actual benefit. Most times it’s on a sliding scale of trade in value vs MSRP of the car you’re purchasing. One goes down, the other goes up, or vice versa.
Actually the tesla offer was about the same in both cases...about 3k less than selling private, so it's about what your time is worth. I just did really well on my volt sale because it was just after the incentives got cancelled so there was a lot of competition for used EVs for a few months.

It's also worth noting I've seen many people with crazy lowball offers from tesla. There was a guy saying they offered 40k for their LR RWD when he inquired about upgrading to a performance model.

Anyway, I digress. I probably should have gotten 30k for my volt, so about 3k above the tesla offer factoring in taxes. I also sold it with winter tires and tpms along with weathertech mats and ceramic coating plus tints.. All of which a private seller cares about way more than a trade in offer so that also worked to my advantage.

So, not bitter...it makes sense why tesla offers what they do. It's just I've seen people often ask this question, and rather than keep their hopes up I try and give it straight. Tesla isn't in the business of selling used cars, so expect they won't give anything more than wholesale value on a car, cause that's what they will be getting for it at auction.

No harm in trying the trade in route, so I'm not saying don't bother. I'm saying make sure you cover your bases and list it privately as well because you may get more and might not take too much time.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
$1500 for a 2007 cayenne S fully loaded with everything
$18500 for a 2015 gla250 with EVERY option including a few that are not offered.
I think that the trade is is not only non negation-able, but they have them off to a third party and have little/no interest in doing the bare minimum with them.
I can get 24k for the gla sight unseen and the cayenne sells for 6-10k
On the other side of the coin, Tesla sells the car I want for 5-8k cheaper than private or 3rd parts sales. So it’s a toss up on how much work you want to do to get the car. For the 10k difference and tax rebate it might be worth Tesla taking the gla and selling the Porsche privately. It’s just a case of finding what’s going to work for you.

Reactions: trdb
I recently traded a 2015 Volvo V60 with Tesla. I submitted the trade request in July and it’s valid for 30days and 1,000 KM. As others have mentioned they use a wholesaler and don’t care about the trade in so much. They offer the service to help sell new cars.

In terms of value, they offered the low end of the Autotrader trade-In range. I shopped their quote around to a couple of dealerships and used car dealers and the Tesla quote was 15% more than the next highest dealer quote. I also tried posting online but the car isn’t super popular so it’s tough to sell privately.

In the end I took the trade in with the tax savings. My best guess is if I were to be able to sell it privately, I’d get maybe an extra $1-2k or not be able to sell it for months due to the type of car.

$1500 for a 2007 cayenne S fully loaded with everything
$18500 for a 2015 gla250 with EVERY option including a few that are not offered.
I think that the trade is is not only non negation-able, but they have them off to a third party and have little/no interest in doing the bare minimum with them.
I can get 24k for the gla sight unseen and the cayenne sells for 6-10k
On the other side of the coin, Tesla sells the car I want for 5-8k cheaper than private or 3rd parts sales. So it’s a toss up on how much work you want to do to get the car. For the 10k difference and tax rebate it might be worth Tesla taking the gla and selling the Porsche privately. It’s just a case of finding what’s going to work for you.

Damn, 1500 for a 2007 cayenne? Sure the car is 12 years old, but that seems just nuts! I guess repair bills for a 12 year old Porsche can get pretty pricey, but geeze, for that price I would keep it around just for road trips :)

I think you did well. 11 months later Tesla gave me $20k for my 2017 Volt. Probably could have got more privately but I'd need to get at least $23k after you factor in the tax savings.

Yeah, I agree I maximized my volt 'value' when I sold. It kind of balances out the price drop over the last year though; if I had kept my volt until now and gotten 23k for it, I could have gotten the P3D- model 3 for almost 10k less than what I paid for my AWD, so depending on which model 3 you got, I'd say you are still ahead of me :)

I'm saying that half jokingly, so before people get all uptight and jump on me for 'complaining' about price reductions, lets just all take a collective breath :oops:

I understand the trade in process is initiated once the deposit is placed.

When we did our T3 test-drive we talked numbers and I requested the info about my trade-in and got a decent offer (in fact, it was more than some other dealerships were offering). The offer was final and non-negoishable. As per our sales rep. they are encouraging people to sell privately.

Then a few months later we placed the order and did submit the trade-in info - the numbers for our trade were the same, although mileage was a bit higher at that time.

The one exception where the tesla trade in was better was I had a former daily renter 2015 Jetta comfortline , they gave me almost $2000 more then what anyone else was offering, probably because they didn't ask for anything but pictures, milage

3rd party dealers are selling new Teslas to people in Quebec. They may make money off financing, trade-ins and/or higher sale price. The advantage for the buyer is apparently higher offer for trade-in (or having vente d'accomodation allowed) and having the Quebec rebate deducted up front.
Is there a way to do this accommodation type sale in Ontario? I remember seeing a thread ages ago where Tesla would do something similar (you 'trade' your car into them, and they immediately 'sell' it to a buyer you have identified). They would charge a nominal fee, like $500 or 1,000 for this...but I also recall someone saying they stopped doing this....I found out about this after I sold my Volt. If it was possible to do when I sold it, I would have also saved the tax on 32k off of my model 3, and that would have easily justified a 1k 'paperwork' cost to Tesla.

I tried searching for this a few weeks ago when I (very briefly) entertained the idea of trading up my AWD for a P3D, but all I came up with was the Quebec "vente d'accomodation" program.

I find their trade in process really disappointing. In my case, I have a low mileage, well-maintained 2005 Porsche Boxster in excellent condition. A dealer would ask about $25-28k, I could sell it very easily privately for >$20k. Tesla had me fill out a little form with basic info, didn't ask for photos or even ask if the car is driveable, and offered $12k, which is probably its value if wrecked and being parted out.

This is disappointing because I would be a happy with a low but fair offer, since I don't want the hassle of selling it myself, and Tesla and the buyer create a mutual gain through the tax offset when the buyer trades in a car, which is foregone.