Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Process in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put in a request for a quote for a trade in after you put a deposit, there is an option under your order page (everything is done online now, nothing is manual, used to be a Microsoft Word form). No matter what they send you, you’re not obligated to take it nor does Tesla care if you do but it does give you a floor value.

Spend the time between your order and pick up trying to sell it on Auto Trader and Kijiji. I got over $10,000 more than the offer Tesla gave me by selling private than I did trading it in.

I find their trade in process really disappointing. In my case, I have a low mileage, well-maintained 2005 Porsche Boxster in excellent condition. A dealer would ask about $25-28k, I could sell it very easily privately for >$20k. Tesla had me fill out a little form with basic info, didn't ask for photos or even ask if the car is driveable, and offered $12k, which is probably its value if wrecked and being parted out.

This is disappointing because I would be a happy with a low but fair offer, since I don't want the hassle of selling it myself, and Tesla and the buyer create a mutual gain through the tax offset when the buyer trades in a car, which is foregone.
You’re mistaken. Tesla didn’t offer you $12K for it, a third party did. They send in all trade requests to an auction house and get offers on who will buy that car and pass on that price to you - they don’t short change you on your trade in to make money like a traditional car dealership, Tesla is not buying it from you - they are literally a wholesale middle man doing you a favor at cost.

• Love
Reactions: richyrich and trdb
Any ideas on how you can re-allocate to a different used vehicle sales advisor. I have been waiting on answers to questions that I asked in the very beginning and so far has avoided them or blames 'missing emails'. I just wanted some specific answers and I have no confidence in the person I am dealing with at present.

+1 for Shift Motors. I was in the same boat last year. I wanted out of my Model X and wanted an S. I found a private buyer and Shift helped me broker the deal so that I could buy a "new" car and not get stuck paying full pop on the HST. Great team, very knowledgeable.

2019 Tesla Model 3 STANDARD RANGE PLUS, ENHANCED AP, AERO WHEELS 2019 - Burlington

Noticed this place in Ontario that have a lot of Tesla’s available brand new. Wonder if you can get the model you want and a better trade in?

They don't update their website often, so there is the chance that they don't have any T3 in the stock right now.

I got a better deal for my trade from Tesla then Shiftmotors were offering.

Another thing is that cars from Shiftmotors most likely won't be eligible for the Federal Rebate of $5,000.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
This is for reference in Vancouver.

Canadian black book trade in value:
$22,600 - $24,420

Offer from Tesla
$18,000
Just traded in the 2014 Kia Soul SX. Like yours, it's around 10% less including the tax benefits.

Black book value: $11,200 - $12,500
Tesla offered $9k + HST = $10,170.

Mind you we had numerous minor scratches and dents on the car. I think it's a decent deal.

Not having to clean the car thoroughly, post on kijiji or FB, screening through countless low ball offers, do the safety/UVIP on the car is amazing! We drove the car to the dealership and swapped into a brand new model 3!

Not having to clean the car thoroughly, post on kijiji or FB, screening through countless low ball offers, do the safety/UVIP on the car is amazing! We drove the car to the dealership and swapped into a brand new model 3!

We did the same with our Civic. The guy at Tesla barely looked at the car. I brought everything including our winter tires but didn't do much cleaning.

A few years ago we were selling our other car privately, don't wanna go thru that "hell" again )))

I got offered 21,000 from Honda, the best offer I got was from someone who specializes in MB. The GLA is a lot of vehicle for that money but trouble free trade in with the tax difference it’s 20,900. And I’ll sell the winters separately. I’m just waiting for the final figure. I actually got the car I wanted with all every extra for less than I have seen any other. Plus I get the 2 year extendable warranty, after just dropping 4K on a HVAC on my other car I feel happier about the warranty.

We did the same with our Civic. The guy at Tesla barely looked at the car. I brought everything including our winter tires but didn't do much cleaning.

When I picked up my Tesla, I parked my old car across the street as there was no space in the Tesla parking lot. The guy didn't look at it at all or even asked where it was parked lol.

Like @dj_gon said, not having to go to SAAQ for the transaction and all the trouble of Kijiji was probably worth it.

Reactions: Kappelan
Interested in purchasing the 3 with a trade in. I understand the trade in process is initiated once the deposit is placed. Pictures and other information is uploaded and evaluation is given. Does anyone know if they match offers from dealers?
They initially offered me $13,500 for my Lexus IS350 after I sent them about 20 pics, mileage and maintenance history, but the offer was "pending inspection".

After the inspection and accusing me of lying, they offered me $11,000 (they said I had 5% left on the brake pads, when in fact, I had 90% left - the brakes had just been done 4 months earlier).

I sold the Lexus privately for $15,000, 11 months later (after swearing I would NEVER buy a Tesla for all eternity - which in this case meant 11 months).

Moral of the story, if you want top dollar, sell privately and you won't get called a liar.

Last edited:
You’re mistaken. Tesla didn’t offer you $12K for it, a third party did. They send in all trade requests to an auction house and get offers on who will buy that car and pass on that price to you - they don’t short change you on your trade in to make money like a traditional car dealership, Tesla is not buying it from you - they are literally a wholesale middle man doing you a favor at cost.
This is true but most people would never know that. The trade-in paperwork has Tesla branding on it and nothing else so naturally, people are going to assume Tesla is offering them the price given.

Reactions: 03DSG
They initially offered me $13,500 for my Lexus IS350 after I sent them about 20 pics, mileage and maintenance history, but the offer was "pending inspection".

After the inspection and accusing me of lying, they offered me $11,000 (they said I had 5% left on the brake pads, when in fact, I had 90% left - the brakes had just been done 4 months earlier).

I sold the Lexus privately for $15,000, 11 months later (after swearing I would NEVER buy a Tesla for all eternity - which in this case meant 11 months).

Moral of the story, if you want top dollar, sell privately and you won't get called a liar.

Interesting. My experience was the complete opposite.

I had a home delivery, so they rolled my Model 3 off of the car carrier then drove my Honda on. The online trade in process requested 4 pictures only and the mileage on my vehicle. I submitted this and within five minutes the trade in value was available online for me to accept or reject, final offer. I answered NO questions about condition - mechanical or visual, and by the time my Model 3 was delivered I was way over the stated KMs I initially put in. I never heard from Tesla again except once they received my car they asked me to send the ownership paperwork to them in Montreal. Seamless really.