Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in process?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Has anyone been through the Tesla trade in process themselves.
What information do I need as it appears to be mileage only so far, there was some mention of taking photos of the car too or is that later on in the process?

Anyone been through the process.
Cheers.

Once you have placed an order for a vehicle there will be a section in your account to upload photos of the vehicle under Trade In. They show which pictures they want. You will then have to wait for them to send the valuation through.

You'll need the mileage and V5, and to take pics from sides, front, back, and an interior shot also showing the car turned on/running.

It's quite straight forward, they eventually let you know their offer, you can then accept or reject that (reject and go elsewhere), just like the final price of the new tesla, there's no haggling as such. Though you may be able to get hold of someone and argue your case, its not the norm.

Traded a Golf R for a M3

We were told to accept the offer and then we can cancel at any time which we probably will do as its about 3k more on wbac and motorway (mercedes E class). Just tricky not knowing the exact delivery date or even how much notice we'll have to sort out the sale. May end up with both cars for a while...

I got the estimated trade in price very quickly and then had to wait for a few weeks to have the final trade in confirmed. The figure dropped from the estimate by £100, which I accepted. The final figure is valid for 60 days and my estimated delivery date was more than 60 days away (M3P), the delay was to avoid the final figure from expiring whilst waiting for the new Tesla.

You may want to read/follow this thread: Trade In/Part Exchange Mileage

What information do I need as it appears to be mileage only so far, there was some mention of taking photos of the car too or is that later on in the process?

With the backlog in deliveries, post Shanghai lockdown, it seems they are delaying providing finalised trade in quotes because they are time limited, and pointless that running out before you could conceivably get a car ... so you might not see any action until nearer the time that your new car is actually going to arrive. So although you can get a quoted price the subsequent request for photos, leading to a finalised price, may not happen for a while.

Took a week to get trade in price, seems to be similar experience they offered me £3k less then wbac. I'll need to give them a call as offer is only valid for 30 days which will be before my delivery date so will have expired by then.
Trying to work out the logistics of ending up with 2 cars as Skenno says.

I'll need to give them a call as offer is only valid for 30 days which will be before my delivery date so will have expired by then.

Unless it has changed? I thought the initial offer was valid for 7 days and then once accepted the "Final Offer" was valid for 60 days ?

Tesla have been holding off giving offers, to avoid giving offers when it was uncertain whether car would be delivered within 60 days (given Shanghai lockdown situation), so if you have an offer maybe that implies that your EDD is "Last week or two of June", and therefore likely that your car will arrive at that time?

Took a week to get trade in price, seems to be similar experience they offered me £3k less then wbac. I'll need to give them a call as offer is only valid for 30 days which will be before my delivery date so will have expired by then.
Trying to work out the logistics of ending up with 2 cars as Skenno says.
That has surprised me, I only went as far as getting the estimate trade in offer from Tesla - which was £1400 more than i paid for it 14 months ago, in comparison WBAC were offering £9K less than Tesla.
I'm waiting to order a new 3P as I'm convinced in Q4 there will be more new stuff being added onto the car - double glassed rear door windows, a second screen in the car and maybe a whole new interior design - and if the rumours are true cars will be arriving without the matrix headlights and I will wait until they are back in the car - I'm in no rush at all.

That has surprised me, I only went as far as getting the estimate trade in offer from Tesla - which was £1400 more than i paid for it 14 months ago, in comparison WBAC were offering £9K less than Tesla.
I'm waiting to order a new 3P as I'm convinced in Q4 there will be more new stuff being added onto the car - double glassed rear door windows, a second screen in the car and maybe a whole new interior design - and if the rumours are true cars will be arriving without the matrix headlights and I will wait until they are back in the car - I'm in no rush at all.
Order now and if you are lucky you may get it Q4 and if by a miracle its early then just defer it

I was offered 25% less after the initial offer expired. 25% drop over 2 months on a car that is 8 years old. They couldn’t care less. This is your final offer take it or leave it. Bloody rude!

Such an impersonal inhuman process. It doesn’t bode well for how they handle issues in the future. Think I might cancel, life is too short to deal with *sugar* service.

I was offered 25% less after the initial offer expired. 25% drop over 2 months on a car that is 8 years old. They couldn’t care less. This is your final offer take it or leave it. Bloody rude!

Such an impersonal inhuman process. It doesn’t bode well for how they handle issues in the future. Think I might cancel, life is too short to deal with *sugar* service.
Was that a Tesla or a different car?