Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got a trade in quote from Tesla which is not amazing - but I could possibly just go for it for a few reasons.

One thing though... they say it is based on minor cosmetic damage only.

Fair enough - but I have a few bashes on a couple of panels.

I would fully expect that to reduce the value of the trade in... but how do we sort that out? I can't sign the form that says there is cosmetic damage only... and they haven't given me a name / email or number of anyone to call to discuss.

Has anyone else done this... turned up and negotiated a fair price?

If it were me I would let them have a full view of the car and then make their (maybe) revised offer. You could then choose to either accept or ignore it. In my experience they are not open to negotiation once an offer has been made.

So I got a trade in quote from Tesla which is not amazing - but I could possibly just go for it for a few reasons.

One thing though... they say it is based on minor cosmetic damage only.

Fair enough - but I have a few bashes on a couple of panels.

I would fully expect that to reduce the value of the trade in... but how do we sort that out? I can't sign the form that says there is cosmetic damage only... and they haven't given me a name / email or number of anyone to call to discuss.

Has anyone else done this... turned up and negotiated a fair price?

They have no time to teach customers how to supercharge or lock their cars, so I wouldn’t worry about them caring about a trade in having a dent.

There is also no chance that they will be doing any new invoices on collections, so don’t worry about it this is why they offer low ball figures as they are selling you a 40-50k car they don’t care about your trade in status

I collected my Model 3 yesterday with a trade-in option, so I handed over the V5C document. Today, I am trying to let DVLA know that I sold my old car, but realised that the V5C number I recorded is not correct. :confused:

Do you know if TESLA will contact DVLA to notify my old car is sold, or should I do it by myself?

They should have given you the slip from the V5c (green?) which you then send to DVLA to inform them that you have sold the car. DVLA then acknowledge it with a letter, after which your responsibility ends. Check in your paperwork - it's only a small slip and easy to miss.

They should have given you the slip from the V5c (green?) which you then send to DVLA to inform them that you have sold the car. DVLA then acknowledge it with a letter, after which your responsibility ends. Check in your paperwork - it's only a small slip and easy to miss.

Duh... they did not give me a slip from the V5C. I should contact them then. Should I contact the WestDrayton centre, which I collected my car, or the Sales/Delivery Department?

According to DVLA, I should give the green 'new keeper' slip (see below).
  1. Give the logbook to the buyer, including the green ‘new keeper’ slip.
  2. Tell DVLA you’ve sold the vehicle using this service.
  3. Destroy the yellow ‘sell, transfer or part-exchange your vehicle to the motor trade’ section from the logbook.

According to DVLA, I should give the green 'new keeper' slip (see below).
  1. Give the logbook to the buyer, including the green ‘new keeper’ slip.
  2. Tell DVLA you’ve sold the vehicle using this service.
  3. Destroy the yellow ‘sell, transfer or part-exchange your vehicle to the motor trade’ section from the logbook.
normally you keep the V5 and just give the new keeper slip to the buyer ( if selling privately) or the disposed to trade slip (if part ex)
either way it is normally the seller who notifies DVLA. Sadly without the V5 or the V5c number there is no way to do that.
when you do notify DVLA they will refund any remaining full months. given that it is the last day of the month if you cannot do it today you will lose the whole of March sadly.
Tesla may notify DVLA or it may be left in your name while it goes to auction until someone else buys it (hope they don't get caught speeding on the way home!) .
You can contact DVLA but they almost certainly want to write to you at the keepers address to confirm otherwise you could be anyone. They may even want to issue a new V5 which will cost you about £20.
You could try ringing Tesla and see if you can get the V5c number out of them.
Other than those 2 options I'm afraid there is no other workaround. The 11 digit V5c number is king and without it you are a bit stuffed

No need to send anything to DVLA anymore,

Tell DVLA you've sold, transferred or bought a vehicle

You get a confirmation e-mail and snail mail

Duh... they did not give me a slip from the V5C. I should contact them then. Should I contact the WestDrayton centre, which I collected my car, or the Sales/Delivery Department?

We didn't get any paperwork back as far as I am aware (not my trade in so I didn't get involved) but within a few days we got notification of transfer from DVLA and refund for tax all appropriately dated. That was West Drayton. TBH trade in seemed pretty clinical and it didn't occur to us hat they should have given us something back - seemed to over in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:
I didn't bother filling out anything on the V5 .. I may have signed it, but that was it. It's mostly just done online now so I left Tesla to it and like VanillaAir_UK I got the notification from the DVLA thanking me for notifying them :p
So, Tesla will transfer ownership. Realistically it should be you as the owner notifying the DVLA, but any trader dealing on volume would rather do it themselves so they don't have to rely on unreliable customers to transfer ownership. I wouldn't worry

So... any members that have done trade ins recently...?

I got a more than decent trade in value...
But I have a few mishaps on my car...
3 of my alloys have kerb rushes (lol all obtained in the first 6 months of ownership) and some are pretty long...
I have a paint “chip” (worn to the bare metal) on the inside of the boot door. Size about 10p or £2 coin (it also has a dent as it occurred while squeezing something in the boot).
I will be covering it with matching paint myself (so it’s not gonna be a professional finish, just want it not to be as obvious at first glance basically...)

How likely it is that this will be noticed? :D

Also, accessories such as mats, emergency aid kit, etc do I HAVE TO leave these in the car?

What about manual, logbook, service history book, etc?

never done this process myself (had someone sort it out for me...) so. It a clue in how it works basically...:oops:

some words of reality check and reassurance needed! :)

We didn't get any paperwork back as far as I am aware (not my trade in so I didn't get involved) but within a few days we got notification of transfer from DVLA and refund for tax all appropriately dated. That was West Drayton. TBH trade in seemed pretty clinical and it didn't occur to us hat they should have given us something back - seemed to over in the blink of an eye.

I didn't bother filling out anything on the V5 .. I may have signed it, but that was it. It's mostly just done online now so I left Tesla to it and like VanillaAir_UK I got the notification from the DVLA thanking me for notifying them :p
So, Tesla will transfer ownership. Realistically it should be you as the owner notifying the DVLA, but any trader dealing on volume would rather do it themselves so they don't have to rely on unreliable customers to transfer ownership. I wouldn't worry

Thanks guys. I wish I knew it earlier, then I didn't spend so much time to find my V5C numbers. :D

So... any members that have done trade ins recently...?

I got a more than decent trade in value...
But I have a few mishaps on my car...
3 of my alloys have kerb rushes (lol all obtained in the first 6 months of ownership) and some are pretty long...
I have a paint “chip” (worn to the bare metal) on the inside of the boot door. Size about 10p or £2 coin (it also has a dent as it occurred while squeezing something in the boot).
I will be covering it with matching paint myself (so it’s not gonna be a professional finish, just want it not to be as obvious at first glance basically...)

How likely it is that this will be noticed? :D

Also, accessories such as mats, emergency aid kit, etc do I HAVE TO leave these in the car?

What about manual, logbook, service history book, etc?

never done this process myself (had someone sort it out for me...) so. It a clue in how it works basically...:oops:

some words of reality check and reassurance needed! :)

I had a rear bumper crack, so I called Tesla if my car can be eligible for trade-in. They suggested me to apply a trade-in first, and send photos of the defects when I receive an offer. I did that and they just reduced £150 (if I fix it in a garage, it would cost £400 because of the rear sensor modules). So, if I were you, I would send the defect photos and let them deduct the cost rather than I fix it by myself.

For me, I just left a manual and logbook (no history book). All I had to do was hand over my V5C with two sets of the car key.