Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in questions before new order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to place an order within the next 4 weeks and I had a couple questions about trading in a car:

1. I am going to purchase through my Ltd Company but trade in my Wife's car (It's registered under her name) - Teslas FAQs specifically state the registered name on the trade-in must match the new owner, but has anyone else tried this where the trade-in is in your partners name? Are they generally ok to accept it so long as you have the required documentation?

2. How have people found the Tesla Trade-In values in the UK? I accept trade-in values will always be lower than selling privately, but happy to take a moderate hit for the convenience factor.

Thanks

Looking to place an order within the next 4 weeks and I had a couple questions about trading in a car:

1. I am going to purchase through my Ltd Company but trade in my Wife's car (It's registered under her name) - Teslas FAQs specifically state the registered name on the trade-in must match the new owner, but has anyone else tried this where the trade-in is in your partners name? Are they generally ok to accept it so long as you have the required documentation?

2. How have people found the Tesla Trade-In values in the UK? I accept trade-in values will always be lower than selling privately, but happy to take a moderate hit for the convenience factor.

Thanks
I'd second WBAC, sold a car to them last Friday. Used car prices are doing surprisingly well currently, not sure if the Tesla scheme has caught up from the pre-covid dip so get quotes from both Tesla and WBAC. Neither company will do a thorough mechanical inspection of the car though if there are issues you're worried about there.

Worth giving Tesla a call regarding the trade in registration: 0162 845 0660

Also, if you're about to place an order do remember to use a referral code ;)

Reactions: JS77
We got a better value for our car than book was listing, but this was a 10year old astra.

The car is in my wife's name, so I hope it will be fine, all it says is that the registered owner of the trade in car has to be there, not that they ha e to be the purchaser of the new car.

I would recommend one of the dealer's car buying services over WBAC, simply because you rarely manage to get the website price with the latter!

I used Arnold Clark's service to shift my ICE car back in March, got ~10% more than the WBAC website quoted price... and there was no quibbling over condition.

Thanks
1. Provided in family name and family address I’m sure this will be fine.
2. I was offered £23k on my Kona electric. Advertised it on Autotrader and sold it the first day the advert appeared for £25k. As others have said the trade in values tend to be on the low side.

We got a better value for our car than book was listing, but this was a 10year old astra.

The car is in my wife's name, so I hope it will be fine, all it says is that the registered owner of the trade in car has to be there, not that they ha e to be the purchaser of the new car.

Out of interest, did you get the trade-in quote from Tesla before you committed to the final purchase? I'm just curious as to what step in the order process they ask for trade-in info - Thanks!

I done one a few months ago to get a rough value, and then submitted one again before putting in my offer.

You get the choice if you want to take the trade-in or not, it has a box wether you want to use it or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200810-161137.png
    Screenshot_20200810-161137.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 112
If you're not selling privately, use WBAC but ignore their first and second offer, just let them expire.
Then after the 2nd has expired click on the link of the last email and the new quote should be higher. Mine had an increase of £1200 from £5300 to £6500!

• Informative
May not be so important now, but in early days of M3 deliveries, Tesla honoured their quote even though cars much delayed and some service intervals time expired. By point of delivery, they were paying higher than WBAC quote and thats before WBAC had kicked the tyres to knock more off, wanted extra for quick settlement and no need to arrange transport to collection.

I was offered £2000 based on requested photos of my '59 plate Volvo V70 way back in April.
My previous Volvo V70 (also kept for a fair old time) got £2500 from a Volvo dealer when trading in for the '59.
So I went for the Tesla offer.
OK, I might have been able to sell privately or chase for a better deal but being deaf make haggling much more difficult plus with the trade-in, on Tesla collection day, I simply need to turn up in the Volvo and swap it for the Tesla.

Hi, how does Tesla px work, what actually happens to the px on the day? Thanks

Sign a document or two, hand over V5 and keys and that’s about it. There’s no inspection of the vehicle involved, at least not in my case. They weren’t that interested in it at all bar doing the necessary admin. I just gave it one last glance as I drove away in the M3P and that was that.

The car itself will be off to BCA for auction asap. If you look at the BCA website you usually see trade in cars from Tesla up for auction regularly.

Probably 'teaching to the choir' but...

Just make sure you have removed all your personal items, personally identifiable items (service receipts etc) from the glovebox, back seat pockets, centre console and boot and any fitted extras.
If it has a built-in sat nav, delete all the stored waypoints and recent journeys.
If it has a media (Bluetooth) connection to your phone - delete that as well.

I presume once you've left the Tesla Lot that's the last you'll see of it.

Must remember to do all that when I swap my Volvo for a Tesla on the 7th September.