Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Valuation in Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you guys checking against KBB.COM's private party value? Assuming you want to sell yourself (sold my 2017 S recently in less than two weeks for 99% of full asking price to a private buyer in a very smooth transaction) Might find that you are missing out on thousands by trading in. And when I spent hours searching cargurus.com, autotempest, craigslist, Teslas used site, autotrader, etc...KBB seemed to be right on target with market pricing..

and I get that to some, $5-$7k on an almost$100k sale may not be much...but for some (like me), $5k is...$5k. Thats a nice little buy of TSLA and/or LCID to set aside..

So that $5k might actually end up being much more over time..

I'm curious what a basically brand new Model 3 SR+ (no FSD) would sell for if someone tried to flip it, On reddit, people are saying they've seen recently delivered Teslas flipped for MORE than the price of a new one (even including tax/fees). That seems ridiculous. Guess people are willing to pay a premium not to wait 2-4 months for a new Tesla.

I'm curious what a basically brand new Model 3 SR+ (no FSD) would sell for if someone tried to flip it, On reddit, people are saying they've seen recently delivered Teslas flipped for MORE than the price of a new one (even including tax/fees). That seems ridiculous. Guess people are willing to pay a premium not to wait 2-4 months for a new Tesla.
There were at least 2 guys on TMC who got Plaids and didnt like them (1 didnt like the yoke, I forgot about the other guys reason) and sold for more than they paid overall. If I recall, both reserved before the $10k increase, so even after covering all of their spend (and then some), they sold to buyers who paid less than those buyer would have paid Tesla if they ordered post-$10k increase.

I just placed my order for the LR Model S, with delivery around Feb., Mar. Obviously I know that whatever they quote for trade (2018 S, 100D) is not going to stick come delivery time, but at least it’s an indication. When it gets closer to actual delivery and dates are known, that’s when I expect to seriously evaluate alternatives. Obviously, the sales tax consideration on the trade can be a big number, but there’s also timing and logistics if sold privately. Right now, it’s merely an indication.

I also ordered a LR just in case the timing and trade in value etc works out.
But FYI, even if you "accept" the trade in offer that says you have 7 days to apply it to an order, it seems like this does nothing. After my order I applied the saved offer and then it asked me to upload photos of the car, and they're now "valuing" it again. I haven't received the new valuation yet but the value on the automated trade in offer has already dropped significantly, so it feels like a bait-and-switch. Not happy about that, even though I knew I had basically no chance of getting the car within 30 days.

Reactions: BlackHammer
But FYI, even if you "accept" the trade in offer that says you have 7 days to apply it to an order, it seems like this does nothing. After my order I applied the saved offer and then it asked me to upload photos of the car, and they're now "valuing" it again. I haven't received the new valuation yet but the value on the automated trade in offer has already dropped significantly, so it feels like a bait-and-switch. Not happy about that, even though I knew I had basically no chance of getting the car within 30 days.

Wow, this really sucks. Most of the folks here have seen their trade's increase so I would be curious as to what you are trading in?

100% how I feel! Definitely a bait-and-switch. Gets people hyped for this crazy trade in value knowing they can’t deliver.

But they also could be thinking on the backend that if you can’t get a refresh S or the never released X, maybe they’ll just buy a 3 or Y….

Reactions: BPeter
Wow, this really sucks. Most of the folks here have seen their trade's increase so I would be curious as to what you are trading in?

My 2018 Model S P100D

I saw a high valuation (about 77K) and pressed accept offer. It said I had 7 days to apply it to an order, and I ordered 2-3 days later after thinking about it some.

By that time the automated valuation had dropped to about 73K, but I saw my saved 77K in the reservation/order page and chose to apply it to this order.

Then it asked me for some photos of the car, which I uploaded. After submitting them it now says valuation is pending.
1627656616415.png

Currently the automated trade in offer is 71K.

Maybe this "valuation" is only checking the photos to make sure nothing is wrong with the car and my 77K will be valid for 30 days. But I kind of doubt it.
I'd be a lot more upset if there were actual vehicles available and didn't already know that I wouldn't have a car within the 30 day validity.

But still a bait-and-switch and yet another hit to Tesla's reputation in my mind (after many terrible recent service experiences).

I can't wait till the competition comes. People have been saying that for years though and it's still not here.

I did order a Rivian R1T last week ago after my *sugar* service experience, maybe they won't treat their customers so poorly.

One month time span I was given two offers for my 2016 MX P100D, $57,000 initially and $69,400 this week. dAccepted the $69,400 trade in, which is more than I paid for the MX originally. Trade in expires 8/29/2021 at which point I’ll get a new valuation.
As everyone is aware, all new Teslas are back ordered way beyond 30 days. I fully expect for Tesla to bone me with a significantly lower offer after the 30 days expires. Fully prepared to walk away and eat my 100$ deposit. Refuse to be baited and switched on.

You would think somebody at Tesla would get a clue and create a better policy considering you can’t get a Tesla right now (aside to used) in less than 30 days. Pointless to give someone a trade in offer good for 30 days when it’s impossible to get a car within that time frame.

Moderator note: Screenshots with personal information deleted per poster's request.

Last edited by a moderator:
One month time span I was given two offers for my 2016 MX P100D, $57,000 initially and $69,400 this week. dAccepted the $69,400 trade in, which is more than I paid for the MX originally. Trade in expires 8/29/2021 at which point I’ll get a new valuation.
As everyone is aware, all new Teslas are back ordered way beyond 30 days. I fully expect for Tesla to bone me with a significantly lower offer after the 30 days expires. Fully prepared to walk away and eat my 100$ deposit. Refuse to be baited and switched on.

You would think somebody at Tesla would get a clue and create a better policy considering you can’t get a Tesla right now (aside to used) in less than 30 days. Pointless to give someone a trade in offer good for 30 days when it’s impossible to get a car within that time frame.

My issue isn't that the offer lasts 30 days. I think that's pretty fair. My issue is that it doesn't even seem like I'll get the valuation it showed me right before I ordered, after I ordered. I could theoretically apply that to an inventory 3/Y or a used vehicle if it did.

My issue isn't that the offer lasts 30 days. I think that's pretty fair. My issue is that it doesn't even seem like I'll get the valuation it showed me right before I ordered, after I ordered. I could theoretically apply that to an inventory 3/Y or a used vehicle if it did.

Update on this, just got the valuation. They actually did give me the same number that I accepted before ordering. So this part is NOT a bait and switch.

Valid for 30 days. Close to zero chance I get to use it, but above zero. They apparently they did assign some refresh S's to people who ordered the night before.

So I finally have a VIN (Jan 5 order of MSLR). Because of that I decided to shop my current 2021 MSLR around to a few of the online car buying companies. I knew the used car market is crazy, but I never expected this. One of the offers I received was $14k more THAN I PAID FOR IT back in December. I was planning on posting her for sale to help out a member looking for a car, but if they are offering that high, I feel like I would be cruel selling at the actual market price at the moment. I also resubmitted my trade for Tesla to evaluate. When I first placed the order Tesla was offering me about 56k, while Vroom offered 71k. You can imagine, I’m not expecting much from Tesla. This time around I’ve used VROOM, WeBuyAnyCar and CarBuyerUSA

Not a bait and switch. The offer from Tesla has actually INCREASED by $7,000 on my 2018 Model 3! Much higher than CarMax, Carvana or Vroom. Here’s a tip: Once you get a VIN and are close to delivery, go to Tesla.com/tradein and check the value again. If it is higher then ask your SA to contact the trade-in team and have the amount manually adjusted.

Not a bait and switch. The offer from Tesla has actually INCREASED by $7,000 on my 2018 Model 3! Much higher than CarMax, Carvana or Vroom. Here’s a tip: Once you get a VIN and are close to delivery, go to Tesla.com/tradein and check the value again. If it is higher then ask your SA to contact the trade-in team and have the amount manually adjusted.

My concern (that I later said didn't happen) was the valuation process. I got an initial valuation before ordering that I accepted after it said it was valid for 7 days. I ordered a couple days later, and applied the accepted offer to my order, but then it went through a valuation process again. That is when I was concerned about the bait-and-switch since the instant trade in valuation that day had decreased. When the valuation finally came in, it was the original one that I accepted. So false alarm there.

So I finally have a VIN (Jan 5 order of MSLR). Because of that I decided to shop my current 2021 MSLR around to a few of the online car buying companies. I knew the used car market is crazy, but I never expected this. One of the offers I received was $14k more THAN I PAID FOR IT back in December. I was planning on posting her for sale to help out a member looking for a car, but if they are offering that high, I feel like I would be cruel selling at the actual market price at the moment. I also resubmitted my trade for Tesla to evaluate. When I first placed the order Tesla was offering me about 56k, while Vroom offered 71k. You can imagine, I’m not expecting much from Tesla. This time around I’ve used VROOM, WeBuyAnyCar and CarBuyerUSA

Which company gave you the highest offer?