Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in Value in 3 Years? (2018 Model S 100D )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In nov '17 when I was buying my MS P100D and debating between loan vs lease, the total of the lease payments and the residual amount was more than the total of loan finance payments amount by about $5000. And when I asked about what happened to the federal tax credit of $7,500 during a lease, I was told it wasn't passed on to the lessee but kept by the lender (unlike my Chevy Volt lease where it was passed on to me by dropping the cap cost by $7,500). Timothy Knox (Tesla finance dept) can give you both scenarios. The actual value of the car in 2021 is anyones guess. Usually 40-50% of actual cost when purchased (no federal tax credit factored in). Hope this helps.

But that would mean you'd have to figure in the tax credit assuming it was available, not all 2018s will be. It assumes you didn't buy it in a state that offers additional credits... I don't think that a tax credit (federal) or rebate (state) should figure into the car's value used as it would only apply when it is used. Ok, that sounded better in my head. I mean until it is 3 years later and you can only go on the sale price, not including a credit that won't apply in 2021. So even in 2020, you cannot discount my tax credit for a 2017, as it won't figure into the current value anymore for a new one.

I think that makes sense...