Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at trade in my 2018 model 3. The KBB list at 39K to 42K. But when I request through Tesla online request, it took 5 days and I end up have to visit Tesla show room. The value they give to me it 29200 -- which far below KBB. Anybody know why?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
The KBB values don’t reflect the fact that new cars are still entitled to a $3,750 tax credit and $2,500 CA rebate so those prices are not realistic in the current environment. After the tax credits and rebates go away KBB will most likely reflect more realistic prices.

They're offer on my 5 month old Volt was also ridiculous.

I really think Tesla is in big trouble if they think they're current model is going to work long-term when they're needing to sell to the general public vs. the Tesla fanatics. Most people aren't interested in trying to sell their cars private party and still rely on a the functions a normal car dealer performs. Tesla needs to reach out to normal people if they're going to grow sales. Right now they're difficult to buy from.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden

I really think Tesla is in big trouble if they think they're current model is going to work long-term when they're needing to sell to the general public vs. the Tesla fanatics. Most people aren't interested in trying to sell their cars private party and still rely on a the functions a normal car dealer performs. Tesla needs to reach out to normal people if they're going to grow sales. Right now they're difficult to buy from.

They usually match any offer from carmax. For me it was easy.

• Informative

Nah, if you’re Tesla, why bother? Sign a deal with Carmax to make them the “trade in partner” and stay the heck out of that business. Pay them some fixed rate ($100) per vehicle and let Carmax do the heavy lifting. Why would Tesla want to get into the remarketing/wholesale/auction business for gas cars?

Since it is a Tesla being traded in might this not be different? Wouldn't Tesla keep it for a CPO and resale themselves? This is probably the reason that Tesla "...took 5 days and I end up have to visit Tesla show room...". They want to get the car at the best price for their own resale profit and not to just pass on to a 3ed party.

Is Tesla really buying these used trade in cars or do they have a partner that is really taking all of the cars in trade behind the scenes?
That is what I'm saying. NO Tesla doesn't buy or sell used cars. They just have some 3ed party's that bid and make the offer on the cars. Tesla has NO passion and just passes on without much regard like a dealer that was trying to make $s reselling. However the OP has a Tesla so this might be different. Tesla DOES sale used Teslas so they should want THIS car to resale since it is a Tesla. This is probably why they are grading it hard and trying to get it for the lowest price. So Tesla can resale as a CPO Tesla and make more money.

That is what I'm saying. NO Tesla doesn't buy or sell used cars. They just have some 3ed party's that bid and make the offer on the cars. Tesla has NO passion and just passes on without much regard like a dealer that was trying to make $s reselling. However the OP has a Tesla so this might be different. Tesla DOES sale used Teslas so they should want THIS car to resale since it is a Tesla. This is probably why they are grading it hard and trying to get it for the lowest price. So Tesla can resale as a CPO Tesla and make more money.

Tesla Sells Retail And buys wholesale

They will Not Buy a Used Tesla For More Money then they can Make a New One

Not a hard Concept

Exceptions. Rare Specialty Cars. Or having a need for branded loaners.

Tesla Sells Retail And buys wholesale

They will Not Buy a Used Tesla For More Money then they can Make a New One

Not a hard Concept

Exceptions. Rare Specialty Cars. Or having a need for branded loaners.
Did you read my post (obviously not) or are you quoting the wrong person? I SAID they were trying to buy the Tesla FOR the LOWEST PRICE (grading it hard) and to resale as a CPO for the MOST PROFIT. REREAD my post agin.

• Funny
Reactions: notrhj and P85_DA
Sometimes to get a deal done the car dealer needs to facilitate the trade-in of the buyer's old car. How many people are willing to screw around getting low-balled at Carmax when the Mercedes, Audi or Nissan dealer will give them a fairer price for their trade and also have the full $7,500 federal credit on the new electric they're selling?

Again, once those that believe in some crazy Tesla "mission" already have a Tesla, selling to the rest of us will require this.

Sometimes to get a deal done the car dealer needs to facilitate the trade-in of the buyer's old car. How many people are willing to screw around getting low-balled at Carmax when the Mercedes, Audi or Nissan dealer will give them a fairer price for their trade and also have the full $7,500 federal credit on the new electric they're selling?

Again, once those that believe in some crazy Tesla "mission" already have a Tesla, selling to the rest of us will require this.

I found Carmax quite fair. Directly on par with the Cadillac dealer, in fact. The only reason I went to the dealership instead is because they are 5 minutes away.

There is one Tesla store in SoCal that sells used Teslas. They might give you a retail front price better than any other Tesla location (this according to the sales person I talked to when I sold my 2016 Model S).

Except for this one location, Tesla quotes you the auction rate (lowest of the low). If you want a good rate you need to find someone who sells they directly... the only one I found was Vroom which offered me 54K vs. 42K from Tesla and 44K from Carmax.