Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in Value -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

So I know most people here are saying selling your car private will give you a higher value, which I agree. My car has been on the market for about a month and I havent gotten any "solid" offers. I have it listed as 15-16K which is competive with other prices on the market. ( Im on the lower side) Now I got it appraised by a local dealer who will obviously give me the lowest price possible. They quoted me 10k, Is it safe to assume this is around the same price Tesla would give? I dont really want to drop $3200 just to see the trade in value because I want to sell the car and not get a big loss just to grab a tesla. But im racing time and the newest cars coming in. I have chevy malibu 2016 for reference.

I found the US Trade in Value form , but they wont get back to me with a value. tesla.com/tradein

Any help is appericated

May be worth it to drop your price another 1K to sell privately and still be up 4-5K vs the dealers.

If you don't want the headaches of haggling with a private buyer, see what Tesla will offer. You can always say no.

I just dont want the hassle of dropping 3K only to have to refund and go through that process (especially since I hear horror stories of it taking months to get back)

Its a excel sheet they send you. The only thing they need is the VIN of your vehicle. They run the VIN to check for accidents etc and quote you the lowest possible trade in value.

We got 1.5K for a 2007 Camry. They were going on autotrader for 3K. However i had a engine leaking oil (not consuming), a badly cracked windshield, a couple of spots where the paint had come off, mismatched exterior mirrors, brakes that needed replacement (soon) etc.

would have cost me atleast 1K to get it upto spec.

Tesla dosen't care about the condition of your trade in. If your car is in a decent condition, it makes sense to sell it privately.

Any help is appericated

I would check with Tesla store, visit one (if you have it in Ottawa) and talk to the sales there, see what they can offer.

You can check also Instant Cash Offer from Autotrader. I think they're giving you the price that dealers should take it for.

Remember that you're saving some money on Taxes when trading your vehicle...

Regardless it's always better to sell privately. The only thing, you have to deal with all those ridiculous offers and weir calls.

Hello,

So I know most people here are saying selling your car private will give you a higher value, which I agree. My car has been on the market for about a month and I havent gotten any "solid" offers. I have it listed as 15-16K which is competive with other prices on the market. ( Im on the lower side) Now I got it appraised by a local dealer who will obviously give me the lowest price possible. They quoted me 10k, Is it safe to assume this is around the same price Tesla would give? I dont really want to drop $3200 just to see the trade in value because I want to sell the car and not get a big loss just to grab a tesla. But im racing time and the newest cars coming in. I have chevy malibu 2016 for reference.

I found the US Trade in Value form , but they wont get back to me with a value. tesla.com/tradein

Any help is appericated
If you have it listed for 15-16k and there is no traction anyone who actually is interested in your car will see its been up for a while and expect to negotiate. So, that reduces the 3200 delta you are talking about, then its a question on what is your time worth.

Tesla will basically give you a quote on the wholesale value of the car, which is typically about 10-20% below the low end on autotrader (this was true in my case as well as a bunch of others I've seen). They re sell the car to someone else, and there needs to be margin for the person reselling the car. As others have said though, it costs nothing to get the estimate from Tesla. Definitely do that, maybe they'll offer more.

Good luck.