Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my experience with getting a offer on my trade in 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

Tesla originally gave me an estimate of $9400 but when the VIN was submitted it dropped to $8300. I went to the local Jeep Dealership and they gave me an offer of $9000. I then went to Carmax and they gave me an offer of $9500. I made about $1200 for a couple hours time.

So it does pay to shop around.

Are you in a state that deducts the trade-in price from the sale price? If so, at 8% tax, even though you made $1200 you actually only made 1200-760 (the $760 is the 8% of the 9500 that would have been applied to the sale price) or $440. Still nothing to sneeze at (it's new lowering springs!), but sometimes it's more hassle that's worth. I've also heard Tesla may honor CarMax so you might be able to get both.

Are you in a state that deducts the trade-in price from the sale price? If so, at 8% tax, even though you made $1200 you actually only made 1200-760 (the $760 is the 8% of the 9500 that would have been applied to the sale price) or $440. Still nothing to sneeze at (it's new lowering springs!), but sometimes it's more hassle that's worth. I've also heard Tesla may honor CarMax so you might be able to get both.

Ive written my Operations Advisor. Im not sure If Tennessee does that but will find out. Thanks for the advice.

Telsa will honor the carmax offer.

In my experience Telsa matched the CarMax offer, no questions asked.
My sales person was not helpful, but the delivery team contact I had once I was assigned a Vin just asked me to send a photo of the CarMax offer, I did and 4 hours later the trade in amount online was updated to match.

Not only makes it easier for you on delivery day but saves you on the state sales tax in many states at least.

Reactions: Someguy4747
Tesla gave me 15,900 for my 2014 MDX trade in that had 78k miles on it
Took to CarMax and their offer was 17,000. Took a picture of it and posted it on my account. Within 24 hours they matched carmax offer and I was able to add 1062.5$ on top of 17k as taxback

Reactions: George75