Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the best way to determine a fair offer for trade-in? I got an offer from Tesla, but have no idea if it's low ball. It seems low but maybe given the conditions it's not. I have a 2018 Model 3 non-P AWD with EAP and white interior. It has 35k miles. Oh, and I also purchased the acceleration boost. My offer was $38,400.

What is the best way to determine a fair offer for trade-in? I got an offer from Tesla, but have no idea if it's low ball. It seems low but maybe given the conditions it's not. I have a 2018 Model 3 non-P AWD with EAP and white interior. It has 35k miles. Oh, and I also purchased the acceleration boost. My offer was $38,400.
I would usually say check with Carmax. When I traded in my S, Carmax offer was $6k less! that was in March before things got serious. I also checked online to see what similar Model was selling for. Tesla price was inline so I took it. Unfortunately now things are little different. Used car market is down, so your pricing might be lower now.

My Y is hopefully going to be ready to pick up early this week. So I went on line to Carvana to get an estimated offer to purchase my Model 3. They gave it a value of $35,233, which seemed low, but then they reduced that value by $8,276 citing some call "local market", leaving a net value of $26,957. Granted my 3 is a model year old and I've owned it since March of 2019, but it's impeccable and only has 9,359 miles on it. I don't get it, and carvana's not going to get it either.

When I placed my order for my Model Y back May 26th Tesla offered me $4,800 for my 2012 Prius V with 101,500 miles on it. I finally registered the Tesla last Thursday (7/9/20, 16 days after receiving the car, the delay caused by their ridiculous paperwork delivery process). The following day (Friday, 7/9/20) I placed an ad for the Prius on Craigslist. Two days later on Sunday I sold the Prius for my asking price of $9,000. I almost doubled the price Tesla offered me.

When I placed my order for my Model Y back May 26th Tesla offered me $4,800 for my 2012 Prius V with 101,500 miles on it. I finally registered the Tesla last Thursday (7/9/20, 16 days after receiving the car, the delay caused by their ridiculous paperwork delivery process). The following day (Friday, 7/9/20) I placed an ad for the Prius on Craigslist. Two days later on Sunday I sold the Prius for my asking price of $9,000. I almost doubled the price Tesla offered me.
Yeah, I initially wanted to trade-in my Model 3, but I thought the initial offer was kinda low (who knows if they would have adjusted it down later). I also thought the trade was delaying my delivery, so I removed it from the order.

Carvana and Carmax made offers that were hideously low. I put the car on Craigslist and sold in in 20 minutes for $3000 more than Tesla offered. I was reluctant to deal with Craigslist people, but I got a lot of offers sight unseen from seemingly normal people. The buyer I went with paid in cash.

They must of changed their policy, last time i tried to sell something on ebay i got pillaged by ebay and paypal...

They did...With vehicle sales you strictly pay for the listing which can be as cheap as $25 (auction only) and up to $95 (more pics, buy it now, make offer, etc). There are no additional fees if the vehicle sells. Sold a Polaris Slingshot on there 2 weeks ago

They did...With vehicle sales you strictly pay for the listing which can be as cheap as $25 (auction only) and up to $95 (more pics, buy it now, make offer, etc). There are no additional fees if the vehicle sells. Sold a Polaris Slingshot on there 2 weeks ago
I used eBay Motors to sell our MS at the beginning of June, for about $5K more than what Tesla was offering in trade for the Y.

As I've posted previously, I sold my M3 on OnlyusedTesla.com in just 2 days in January. Had lot's of interest and several offers the first day - ended up selling it for exactly what I asked which was high book, no hassle whatsoever. At the time it was like $7K over what Tesla offered and painless.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Wow who bought a 100K plus miles, 2012 Prius for 9K? The batteries are already dead. He would be now driving pretty much an ICE. He should have bought a Corolla with more space for like $3K.

2018 M3 LR-RWD, 19" wheels, black on black, standard Autopilot, with just under 20K miles; Tesla quoted me $32K for trade-in.
was offered about the same for 2019 M3+ stock except Blue with FSD. I regret having paid $5000 for FSD. what a scam. MY will be bare AP only.

The only thing I really appreciated about FSD was auto lane change with stalk. The rest I never really used.

Reactions: EVNation
Wow who bought a 100K plus miles, 2012 Prius for 9K? The batteries are already dead. He would be now driving pretty much an ICE. He should have bought a Corolla with more space for like $3K.
Why would the batteries be dead? Do you know something we don't?

I had a 2005 Prius with over 150k miles. Ran like a champ, certainly within 10% of it's original performance. It was beat to hell and I still sold it for $7k in 2011.

Looking to trade in my Model 3, DM, LR, 19" wheels, FSD, Blue/Black.

Tesla has not responded to 2 trade in requests nor the email I sent to my sales person. Autonation offered me $41,500 for the vehicle. Really hoping Tesla offers more but not holding my breath. Really thought the vehicle would be worth more than what Autonation offered.