Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Values

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. As I’m awaiting my MY LR to be delivered, I’ve had to refresh my trade in estimate.

my question is , my buddy said (probably 2 years ago buying a M3) that Tesla offered usually higher than KBB in trades.

That being said with the crazy used car market as it is currently; I know it’s not a normal thing BUT KBB values my car in “good” condition at 25-28k.

TESLA at first offered me 19k, and then on a second quote 19,200. Kinda bummed out. Might sell privately but I’d like the tax break and the convenience. How were your experiences ??

Reactions: Tedkidd
Hey guys. As I’m awaiting my MY LR to be delivered, I’ve had to refresh my trade in estimate.

my question is , my buddy said (probably 2 years ago buying a M3) that Tesla offered usually higher than KBB in trades.

That being said with the crazy used car market as it is currently; I know it’s not a normal thing BUT KBB values my car in “good” condition at 25-28k.

TESLA at first offered me 19k, and then on a second quote 19,200. Kinda bummed out. Might sell privately but I’d like the tax break and the convenience. How were your experiences ??
You're trading in a Tesla?

Don’t trade into Tesla. You will get SIGNIFICANTLY more selling privately in this market.

There was no hassle for me selling privately. I listed on a Friday, got a down payment the same day, car was gone over the weekend once we arranged the pickup.

Don’t trade into Tesla. You will get SIGNIFICANTLY more selling privately in this market.

There was no hassle for me selling privately. I listed on a Friday, got a down payment the same day, car was gone over the weekend once we arranged the pickup.
Yeah man. I’m thinking that. Trying to see what’s better because with trade in you pay less tax on the total of the vehicle … but this is another luxury sedan with low miles I should be able to sell privately. I just can’t believe the lowball with Tesla lol even Carvana was like 3 grand more

Yeah man. I’m thinking that. Trying to see what’s better because with trade in you pay less tax on the total of the vehicle … but this is another luxury sedan with low miles I should be able to sell privately. I just can’t believe the lowball with Tesla lol even Carvana was like 3 grand more
Tesla isn’t in the business of selling used cars. It’s a hassle for them and that’s why they are lowballing you.

Tesla isn’t in the business of selling used cars. It’s a hassle for them and that’s why they are lowballing you.
I guess you’re right but a friend of mine who bought a model 3 was raving about how Tesla is so competitive with trades that they give you way more than it’s worth , etc. I don’t know why he would have said that then.

I guess you’re right but a friend of mine who bought a model 3 was raving about how Tesla is so competitive with trades that they give you way more than it’s worth , etc. I don’t know why he would have said that then.
Your friend is just wrong. Don't know what else to say.

Tesla will never give you more for a trade in than you can get from a private party sale in this climate. How would they be able to make any money reselling the vehicle if that were not the case?

Your friend is just wrong. Don't know what else to say.

Tesla will never give you more for a trade in than you can get from a private party sale in this climate. How would they be able to make any money reselling the vehicle if that were not the case?
Well they auction them. I don’t think they bother with the nitty gritty of each car. My only gripe is that after it asks for your vin it really doesn’t differentiate between a base model and a car that’s fully loaded. When I did that on Carvana it was more specific, asking if it had two keys, what optional packages it had, etc. added a few grand on their valuation. Because my dumb a$$ always goes for the fully loaded model cars with every bell and whistle.

might just sell privately , but idk with these new delivery time frames I’m never getting the car lol

My Y seems to be getting $54-57k retail.
CarMax wrote me an offer for $49k.
Dealer is 350 miles away, so I'd like a clean deal.
Fingers crossed Tesla can come close to carmax offer.

If not, what is the best way to attempt to retail?

Screenshot_20210731-121449.jpg
PXL_20210731_191431106_2.jpg

Last edited:
Why are you selling your Y?
Spring came.
Carrying bicycles significantly changes range and charging curve.
We found ourselves charging a lot, and waiting at sub 100kw a lot.

Plus, getting paid 5k for driving a car 12k miles seems an opportunity to not miss.

Our new one seems much better as far as distance carrying bikes.
Taking a longer trip this week with it so will know better soon.

I have a related question…. When you trade to tesla do the nit pick the car when you bring it in or is the offer on line pretty solid. I’m trading a 2013 Highlander. Tesla offered me $15,200. Carmax and Vroom were within hundreds so the Tax issue more than makes ups for Tesla’s lower offer. Even selling it in a private sale doesn’t get me past the tax cost so I’m trading to Tesla. I just want to know if they are going to pick my car apart when I show up to drop it off in trade for my new MY. Don’t get me wrong, its not like there is a smashed quarter panel or munched front end. Just the normal wear and tear…. Less than perfect tires, stuff like that. I got what I think is a damn good offer from them I just want to know if they are going to surprise me and beat me out of another few grand once I show up. Anyone got any experience on this front?

I have a related question…. When you trade to tesla do the nit pick the car when you bring it in or is the offer on line pretty solid. I’m trading a 2013 Highlander. Tesla offered me $15,200. Carmax and Vroom were within hundreds so the Tax issue more than makes ups for Tesla’s lower offer. Even selling it in a private sale doesn’t get me past the tax cost so I’m trading to Tesla. I just want to know if they are going to pick my car apart when I show up to drop it off in trade for my new MY. Don’t get me wrong, its not like there is a smashed quarter panel or munched front end. Just the normal wear and tear…. Less than perfect tires, stuff like that. I got what I think is a damn good offer from them I just want to know if they are going to surprise me and beat me out of another few grand once I show up. Anyone got any experience on this front?

My experience they don’t care - my car could have been entered in a destruction derby and they just took the keys. They send the car to auction probably after a quick inspection…Some cars they will make money on and some they will lose (probably not in this market and they lowball a bit).

They just took the keys. It was painless

I traded in a 2012 Accord when we picked up our Model Y LR in Jacksonville, Florida. They made sure to get the keys, take my tag off the Accord, and put it on the Tesla. Other than that, no one paid any attention to the trade-in. I could have had the car towed in and I don't think anyone would have noticed.