Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In, What do you need to take? (Cables, USB etc?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I'm looking at trading in my Model 3 when the Y delivery date finally arrives.

Do Tesla require you to hand it in with all the charging cables, type 2 & 3-pin?

What about the USB sentry stick, that I replaced when it was bought, and I no longer have... ?

Do they also inspect the vehicle on the day and potentially update the trade-in offer?

Many thanks.

In theory yes to all. In reality they don’t do an inspection, other than maybe a cursory glance, and if they tried to then claim missing items or damage you could just state it occurred at some point in time after you handed it over.

You would be taking a chance if you didn’t hand back the UMC and cable though, Tesla might use the full retail price of a replacement to reduce your trade-in price and you get new ones with your new vehicle anyway.

Never heard of them charging for anything ar a later date dispute people being worried about it.

They never even checked my car was there twice now, I wouldn’t supply the UMC cable now if they are not providing them with the new cars.

In theory yes to all. In reality they don’t do an inspection, other than maybe a cursory glance, and if they tried to then claim missing items or damage you could just state it occurred at some point in time after you handed it over.

You would be taking a chance if you didn’t hand back the UMC and cable though, Tesla might use the full retail price of a replacement to reduce your trade-in price and you get new ones with your new vehicle anyway.
Its mentioned in the terms they can claw back any missing items or damages and just because they dont check the moment you collect doesnt mean they wont hire a third party to do loads at one given time

Maybe the ones who had their money clawed back dont make a fuss of it due to being ashamed

Its mentioned in the terms they can claw back any missing items or damages and just because they dont check the moment you collect doesnt mean they wont hire a third party to do loads at one given time

Maybe the ones who had their money clawed back dont make a fuss of it due to being ashamed
Once they have accepted the trade-in vehicle, I think they are on shaky ground trying to later claim something was missing. At least from an evidentiary standpoint. I am not advocating being dishonest and wilfully failing to include items that are expected to be left with the trade-in. Just not sure how they later prove it was omitted.

You get a new T2 cable and UMC, and while you do, I'd be giving them the old ones.

I ended up with 2x T2 cables because of a mistake I made years ago and as a result I've had one in an unopened plastic bag for 4 years. Unless you think it worth going to the hassle of trying to flog these things on to make a few quid, its pretty petty to try and keep them.

Same with tow hook equipment if you have that, and the CCS adaptor if you've an MS or MY. They're no good to you and it annoys me when people try and sell the CCS adaptor after they've sold their car and then claim they had two... yeah... right.. like it happens a lot.

USB, I wouldn't be worried about. I kept mine from the M3 when it went back but that was because I couldn't find it having switched to a SSD device when I got the car. But they're only a few quid.

Reactions: Doudeau and init6
New cars will come with the UMC, it's only in the US that it is changing so far.

Read the terms of your part exchange, it's clear what your are obliged to include, and also clear that if you don't you have agreed to be charged for them.

Yes you might well get away with not including an item, and even if they did notice you could claim that it was there when you traded it in, but I would suggest you are going to need an ongoing relationship with Tesla for warrenty and services, so its perhaps foolish to risk that.

1655027115509.png

1655027145043.png

I trade my Model 3 in next month and I'm not giving them the charging cable back since they aren't giving me one with the new MXP set to be delivered. I'll let you all know how that goes!
Sorry to hear that but it's because you are in the USA. In Europe, for now at least, all charging cables are provided. Don't be too upset, two years ago, I paid 5000 euros on my new car to have FSD. I'm trading in my car, having never experienced anything like FSD or even coming close to having the chance of seeing it action like it currently is in the USA. On balance, I'd prefer to have to buy a charger than watch five grand going down the drain.

Reactions: boombap and M3noob
I normally take everything that’s not part of the car. First aid kits, usb cables, etc etc. don’t think of it as a Tesla, think of it as a car. They are buying the car off you, not the USB, cable x, y and z etc. unless it is specifically in your terms and conditions, take it’s and sell it on or keep it and use it.

I normally take everything that’s not part of the car. First aid kits, usb cables, etc etc. don’t think of it as a Tesla, think of it as a car. They are buying the car off you, not the USB, cable x, y and z etc. unless it is specifically in your terms and conditions, take it’s and sell it on or keep it and use it.
It is specifically part of the terms and conditions for a Tesla trade-in

1661369737640.png

It is specifically part of the terms and conditions for a Tesla trade-in

View attachment 844602
Looks like they’re deleting the granny charger from UK Spec.

1)So if they’re terms remain the same, it’s no longer a standard accessory so should it be expected on a trade in??

2)I wonder if it was standard when ordered, will it be included on delivery in Q4 (or later). I’m guessing it’ll just randomly disappear.

From a fairness point of view it would be good to leave everything in the car that was there when you bought it. Alternatively, inform the recipient clearly about what you have taken out.

Not everybody wants to trade fairly though.

From a fairness point of view it would be good to leave everything in the car that was there when you bought it. Alternatively, inform the recipient clearly about what you have taken out.

Not everybody wants to trade fairly though.
If I was selling privately I’d 💯 leave it in.

But trading to Tesla, who in return have effectively changed the spec mid build, leaves me pondering.

We have a 3 pin in the wife’s Mini so it’s not going to kill me, but it’s an interesting question.

But trading to Tesla, who in return have effectively changed the spec mid build, leaves me pondering.
I know how you feel. When I decided to purchase a new M3P, the delivery date was set for end-September and I was restricted to 1000 miles per month on my current M3LR which I am trading in. I presumed the trade-in price was therefore fixed - as did my advisor. I kept my side of the deal so you can imagine I was somewhat surprised to be told last week my trade-in value had been reduced by the rather petty amount of...£120!

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Looks like they’re deleting the granny charger from UK Spec.

1)So if they’re terms remain the same, it’s no longer a standard accessory so should it be expected on a trade in??

2)I wonder if it was standard when ordered, will it be included on delivery in Q4 (or later). I’m guessing it’ll just randomly disappear.
It's not changed at the moment, so it should be included on a car ordered now. Tesla do tend to abide by this, when I ordered my first Model 3 the garage door opener was standard spec but was deleted before delivery, a ranger came and fitted it for me FOC without issue.

Reactions: boombap
It's not changed at the moment, so it should be included on a car ordered now. Tesla do tend to abide by this, when I ordered my first Model 3 the garage door opener was standard spec but was deleted before delivery, a ranger came and fitted it for me FOC without issue.
Also at the time of early orders the premium connectivity was not listed as being for a limited time. Tesla is providing those cars premium connectivity free of charge (I have one).

If the granny charger was included at the time an order is made I am confident Tesla will provide one.