Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In: What Pictures Do I Need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Front at an angle
  • Side straight on
  • Rear at an angle
  • Full dashboard
  • Title of car

They must have streamlined it now. When I did it in December last year, these are the photos I have to upload:

Full Dash
Tire with Penny
Trunk Open
Back Seats
Front Seats
Odometer
Vin Plate
Front
Passenger Side
Back
Driver Side

Also there is a form to describe the condition of the car and if any problem mechanical or body damage.

They must have streamlined it now. When I did it in December last year, these are the photos I have to upload:

Full Dash
Tire with Penny
Trunk Open
Back Seats
Front Seats
Odometer
Vin Plate
Front
Passenger Side
Back
Driver Side

Also there is a form to describe the condition of the car and if any problem mechanical or body damage.

There was a form on condition first, but these where the only photos requested.

YMMV, but for those of you trying to make a decision on trading vs selling their cars, I just took my car over to CarMax for an appraisal.

It's a 2017 BMW 330i xDrive, with 19,000 miles. It has both the full factory warranty, and a BMW CPO warranty that's good until 2022. The list of options and packages is long, so I won't go into it. I'll just say that the retail KBB on the car in excellent shape is around $38,500. And I added BMW performance brakes, ($2800) installed by the BMW dealer at 14,000 miles.

The appraiser didn't ding me on anything. In fact, he told me it was the cleanest car he'd ever appraised, and said that he'd like to buy it himself if he could afford it. Then he proceeded to give me CarMax's offer: $25,000.

Needless to say I won't be trading in my car.

I got a quote for my 2013 GTI from Shift for $11k, KBB “trade-in” range is 13.5k - 15k.

KBB instant offer was $13,730, Tesla was $13,650. Heading to Carmax today to get a third opinion.

FYI Tesla will match Carmax, they will not match other trade offers.

Leaving some money on the table here, obviously, but the trade in is a convenience factor for me.

Since you are already taking pictures, might as well get quotes from Vroom, Carvana, and other online trade in services. There is no harm in comparison shops. Carmax is a different matter. You have to drive it there, wait for them to inspect, etc... Last time I went to a Carmax it was full of people waiting for their quotes.