Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In: What Pictures Do I Need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if I currently owe $8k on my trade in, and technically do not possess the title (though it is from the same credit union I will be financing the Model 3 with).
Not sure if NE is different, but in New York, the buyer receives the Title in the mail but it states who the lienholder is, ie. Chase Financial. It is probably a copy, but you still have it in your files.

I would call your CU and see if they can send you a copy.

Interesting list of pics. What can they possibly see from so few pics or do you mean two pics of the front at angles and same for the rear and both sides?

What if the windshield is half cracked? I guess they would see that in the front pic though.

Did anyone think Tesla's quote was fair? Since nobody's taking the car for a test drive, I can't help but think they're going to low ball me.

They will. But the same will happen with any other car dealer when you trade in. Best is always to sell private. So the question is do you want to deal with the hassle of selling on your own, or can you accept the lower price? This depends on so many things....

You can get quotes from CarMax or other traders. I found them in the same ballpark with Tesla. When I traded in our previous car, I am quite sure we lost few thousands - but the experience was flawless. Turn in the keys and title, get going in the new car.

I think also the hit is higher if you trade in a relatively new car - see all the threads when people upgraded when they first launched the P85D. Most of the S85 owners thought the offer was too low.

Did anyone think Tesla's quote was fair? Since nobody's taking the car for a test drive, I can't help but think they're going to low ball me.
It’s CarMax who takes the used cars for Tesla. That’s why they give similar quotes.

You also benefit from reducing your taxable price of the car when you trade in. So take that savings into account when comparing to a private buyer.