Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in with Accident History

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening all,

Long time lurker; excited to have submitted an order for a blue M3 SR+ today!

I am going through the appraisal process for my 2012 GTI and the note just prior to submitting the pictures has me pausing because it says: By submitting, you certify that this trade-in vehicle is free of major cosmetic and mechanical issues, has no history of any accidents and is drivable. Contact us if your vehicle does not meet any of these conditions.

My GTI was damaged by hail in 2016 and subsequently repaired and is in otherwise perfect condition (for its age). I believe that this information should be reflected in my VIN from the insurance claim. Would this make my car ineligible for trade in? I sent the contact request but I am holding off on submitting the photos.

Does anyone have any experience on this matter? Thanks in advance!

I was in a similar situation, except my windshield was damaged by a rock chip and the claim was through insurance.

My VIN also had a claim attached. It was my SA who asked me to complete the trade in, and I just drove in one day and let him take all the photos and complete that section of the forms. I specifically asked about accident history given the claim, but the SA thought nothing of it.

Perhaps you can do the same, and at the same time seek out private sales as well once delivery date nears.

Thanks for the input, very appreciated!

An SA reached out and we discussed the vehicles history. He wasn’t overly concerned and added some notes to my file and suggested I continue with the appraisal process.

I basically wanted to be completely transparent with Tesla and as there isn’t even a text box to explain these things for an appraisal I guess this was the only way to do it.