Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in X for new one that has Hardware 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so it sounds like hardware 4 is going to be a dramatic upgrade to the capabilities for FSD, autopilot, safety features, etc. I just got my model x refresh a few months ago with 3K miles on it. would it be crazy/stupid to trade my model x in for a new one that has hardware 4? I held out buying a tesla for years until the refresh X came out and finally thought the time was perfect, and now I don't want to miss out on this major hardware upgrade!

• Helpful
Reactions: kbM3
so it sounds like hardware 4 is going to be a dramatic upgrade to the capabilities for FSD, autopilot, safety features, etc. I just got my model x refresh a few months ago with 3K miles on it. would it be crazy/stupid to trade my model x in for a new one that has hardware 4? I held out buying a tesla for years until the refresh X came out and finally thought the time was perfect, and now I don't want to miss out on this major hardware upgrade!

Slightly longer answer than above: Yeah I think it's crazy/stupid, but who knows, your situation and mine might be very different (if you're a gazillionaire and money is no object, I'd say sure go for it).

Look, as a new Tesla owner you might not be aware that Tesla frequently makes changes to their cars. If you always want to have the latest and greatest, you're going to be churning your car a lot. This is something that (most) Tesla owners just need to get used to.

As a bit of perspective, this "major hardware upgrade" is the autopilot system, consisting of the autopilot/FSD computer, cameras, and wiring harnesses. This is one system of the car. So far as anything I've read, it's going to have the same drive units, battery pack, seats, interior, exterior, etc.

Newer isn't always better. Freeway autopilot on my ancient AP1 Model S works better than my "refreshed" HW3 Model X (which is basically the same car you have now). Maybe wait until Tesla works the bugs out and see if HW4 lives up to its hype?

Bruce.

thanks for the answers, including the short ones. :).

probably the smartest thing to do would be to go out there and sell it ASAP before hardware 4 news becomes more concrete. then put the order in for a new X assuming by the time I get it, hardware 4 will be installed. but that's tricky too - imagine going through all that work and get another car with hardware 3!

most likely I will just keep my current X and just enjoy it for a year or two and decide if it's worth it like the other poster suggested.

Reactions: MARKM3
thanks for the answers, including the short ones. :).

probably the smartest thing to do would be to go out there and sell it ASAP before hardware 4 news becomes more concrete. then put the order in for a new X assuming by the time I get it, hardware 4 will be installed. but that's tricky too - imagine going through all that work and get another car with hardware 3!

most likely I will just keep my current X and just enjoy it for a year or two and decide if it's worth it like the other poster suggested.
Yeah just wait till HW4 comes out and post some solid progress in FSD, until then the car is great as it is. One user said it best - think of it like a small incremental upgrade to the current hardware as a natural progression of computer power.

From what I’ve seen HW3 will do just fine anyway with FSD. I don’t think even HW4 will be fully robotaxi territory.

simple question: WHAT Model X HW4 are you trading for?

• Funny
Reactions: Smileysam
Don't do it man... Its a vicious cycle.... I have that disease where I feel the need to have the latest and greatest... I'm the idiot buying the new iphone every year even though the improvements are tiny increments.... And I always leased cars because I needed a new one in 3 years otherwise I would get serious FOMO.... but I vow to break the cycle and keep this Model X until the warranty is about to run out (8 years or 150k miles) pray for me.

Since you are asking on an Internet forum for strangers’ opinions, I’ll be the random person online that suggests this, GO FOR IT, YOLO. Once you get in this rabbit hole, you will discover that Tesla will rewrite everything for HW4 and you will have long periods of missing functionalities, but you will have the latest and greatest HW4. Once the basic functionalities are added back, Tesla will release HW5. You’ll want to get that HW5 because it’ll promise true FSD, until it doesn’t. Good luck!

Background: I am on my 3rd Model X, 2016/HW1, 2018/HW2->3, and 2022/HW3. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me!