Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade -in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone traded in their old car for a new Tesla? I entered my old cars info on the Tesla site and they gave me an offer with the ability to accept the offer. If I hit accept than that's that? Is that a locked in price? Or they could change the price once I go to pick up my car and drop off the trade in?

"Tesla Is Not A Car Dealer" = Your trade in will be worth less from them usually. However yes, they will do trade ins. The value they quote is valid if...
1: You don't wait too long for delivery. (The offer says how long)
2: You don't drive too many more miles before delivery. (The offer says how many)
3: You were 100% honest on the condition and they don't find anything extra that's borked.

The trade has the convenience of being built into your order, but KBB's Instant Buy Offer will usually get you more. BUT... the IBO will create other things to consider like timing, especially if the trade in is still being paid down.

You can request the offer information with no requirement to do it. You just need to be prepared to cover the difference if you back out at delivery time.

I traded in my car. Initially the value was very low from Tesla and I accepted. I went to Carmax 7 days before my delivery (because that is when the quote expires) and got 3K more. I called the delivery center, e-mailed them photos of the physical copy of the offer that I got from Carfax (this you must have, they won't accept an online offer), and they changed the rate on the application. Bring the key with you and you're all set.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Like all vehicles, you gotta shop around if you want the best offer.

Lowest offer usually comes from Tesla. It is also the most convenient. You simply drive your car to the delivery center, and drive home in the new one. Don't even need to wash the car.

Next best offers will come from wholesalers like competitive dealerships, Carvana, Car Max or the on line buyer, Current Automotive.
They give you a price, and you drop off your car within the time window and walk away with a check. Need to bring a friend to drive you home or Uber/Lyft

Best $ will usually come from selling it yourself retail. Offer it up on line, or park it on the street with a sign. Buyers will come, and be prepared to answer a ton of questions, send a ton of pictures, and get lots of low ball offers. They tend to pick apart your car, look for any possible flaw or missing option. When you get an offer you will accept, you will need to send the buyer all the details, wait for him to get financing or arrange the money. You will need to work out a way to have them send you the money, send them the title and arrange delivery or pickup. This is obviously the most difficult and time consuming, but can be very financially rewarding.

I ended up using Currentautomotive.com. They gave me an easy sale. I sent them pictures and they sent me a higher offer than the other options. I sent them my title and they wired me the money. Once the money was in the account they have arranged to have a driver pick up my car. They are former Tesla people, appreciate the cars and know what they can offer.

Reactions: MikeR55
Like all vehicles, you gotta shop around if you want the best offer.

Lowest offer usually comes from Tesla. It is also the most convenient. You simply drive your car to the delivery center, and drive home in the new one. Don't even need to wash the car.

Next best offers will come from wholesalers like competitive dealerships, Carvana, Car Max or the on line buyer, Current Automotive.
They give you a price, and you drop off your car within the time window and walk away with a check. Need to bring a friend to drive you home or Uber/Lyft

Best $ will usually come from selling it yourself retail. Offer it up on line, or park it on the street with a sign. Buyers will come, and be prepared to answer a ton of questions, send a ton of pictures, and get lots of low ball offers. They tend to pick apart your car, look for any possible flaw or missing option. When you get an offer you will accept, you will need to send the buyer all the details, wait for him to get financing or arrange the money. You will need to work out a way to have them send you the money, send them the title and arrange delivery or pickup. This is obviously the most difficult and time consuming, but can be very financially rewarding.

I ended up using Currentautomotive.com. They gave me an easy sale. I sent them pictures and they sent me a higher offer than the other options. I sent them my title and they wired me the money. Once the money was in the account they have arranged to have a driver pick up my car. They are former Tesla people, appreciate the cars and know what they can offer.

Also getting tons of offers from local Toyota dealers and used car places- I guess a 2011 Rav4 is still a wanted car? But yeah, gonna shop around but not going to do private sale- seems like a total pain.