Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carvana gave me $5,000 more than the Tesla offer on my 2015 MS last year. They are super easy to deal with. 10 minute inspection. They had my check already cut when I arrived. No surprises. Tesla doesn’t want to be in the used car business, so they will almost always be the lowest bid.

Carvana gave me $5,000 more than the Tesla offer on my 2015 MS last year. They are super easy to deal with. 10 minute inspection. They had my check already cut when I arrived. No surprises. Tesla doesn’t want to be in the used car business, so they will almost always be the lowest bid.
Over my 4 Tesla purchases, each time I got a very distinct feeling they really don't want to be in a used car business. Each time their offer was the lowest (both on Tesla and non-Tesla trade-ins, though even lower on Tesla trade-ins than non-Tesla - I guess to Tesla their own vehicles are worth less). They also refused to do a trade-through so I could save on sales tax. One time they told me they would do it as long as I found a licensed dealer willing to pay for the trade in, which I did, but when it got to actually doing it, they refused by saying sales was misinformed and Tesla will not do that. Gotta give them business ruthlessness points, the trade-in price for the car was almost precisely lower by the amount of sales tax credit I would get, so that it would be a wash to trade to Tesla at a lower price but get a sales tax credit, vs. sell on my own and lose the 10% sales tax credit. So I traded to them for convenience reasons. For all I know they took my car and sold it to the dealer which I found who would pay a few thousand more than what Tesla game me, make instant profit.

I traded in an S and an Sig X for a 3 and a Y.
I thought both times they did OK by me.

Both times tried to sell for slightly more than they offered and was ridiculed once and mostly ignored once. Sales tax savings were great.

Transactions were smooth. And both the 3 and Y are terrific so far.

Both times tried to sell for slightly more than they offered and was ridiculed once and mostly ignored once. Sales tax savings were great.

Explain how the sales tax savings work? Thanks

They don't work in California. As a Californian you should know there is no such thing as tax savings in this state.

Other states let you pay taxes on the difference only if you trade in. California charges double tax on all these transactions.
California not only taxes it’s citizens to death it also taxes the vehicles literally til death.
Selling the vehicle private party the buyer has to pay taxes on the purchase price. Every time it’s sold. Ridiculous.

In NY, the trade in is subtracted from the cost of the new vehicle for tax purposes. E.g. new car is 50k, trade in is 20k, sales tax only due on the difference of 30k. Tesla did all this automatically, which is standard stuff.

Like other posters said, this is state specific.

California is outrageous for the double taxation on that. But CA sets the standard for delusional and hallucinogenic tax policies. Must be the weather....

Ouch! Just tried Carvana site! They deducted $7k off of $32k KBB price for "local market" for my '15 70D.

It is painful. Most likely better off to sell private if possible. Onlyusedtesla.com seems to be a good site.

But also remember that the price of a new Tesla has come down for what you get. I could now get my car for 20k less.

Just for clarification, about the FSD option:

- when you sell to third party, FSD get transferred to the new owner, right?
So you can include this option when looking at the KBB quote.

- but if you sell to a dealer, Carvana... then FSD will not be available later to the future owner,
so the dealer, Cavana... will not include this option in their offer?

- if you sell to Tesla, will Tesla consider the FSD option in their offer?