Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-ins: cash and accident status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a conversation with a very helpful member of staff at Gatwick Service Centre, in which we both learned a couple of things after she called the finance and trade-in teams. I thought I'd share here in case they're of use to anyone else.

You can trade-in a Tesla for a cash payment, as long as you're buying another Tesla from them. This is in contrast to a discount off the listed price. This is useful to me as I bought my Model X on a lease, and used a director's loan to pay the final instalment - hoping that my MYP would be here by the time it needed paying back, so then I could sell the MX, repay the loan, and then have the company buy the MYP as a company car. Therefore I need money to pay back the loan, and a discount is of no use, because me saving my company £50k on a company car is not the same as me paying back a £50k director's loan. Apparently I'm not the first person to be in this situation.

My MX had been in a big accident many years ago, and was repaired by Tesla and Tesla-approved bodyshops. In these circumstances, it should be recorded as "No accidents" in the trade-in application form.