Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-ins: cash and accident status

I had a conversation with a very helpful member of staff at Gatwick Service Centre, in which we both learned a couple of things after she called the finance and trade-in teams. I thought I'd share here in case they're of use to anyone else.

You can trade-in a Tesla for a cash payment, as long as you're buying another Tesla from them. This is in contrast to a discount off the listed price. This is useful to me as I bought my Model X on a lease, and used a director's loan to pay the final instalment - hoping that my MYP would be here by the time it needed paying back, so then I could sell the MX, repay the loan, and then have the company buy the MYP as a company car. Therefore I need money to pay back the loan, and a discount is of no use, because me saving my company £50k on a company car is not the same as me paying back a £50k director's loan. Apparently I'm not the first person to be in this situation.

My MX had been in a big accident many years ago, and was repaired by Tesla and Tesla-approved bodyshops. In these circumstances, it should be recorded as "No accidents" in the trade-in application form.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC