Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade my 2021 M3SR+ for 2019 Stealth M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago I purchased my 2021 SR+ for $39k after taxes. Vroom is offering me $45k.

I’m seeing a 2019 M3P stealth with 17k miles and a clean history on Tesla’s site for $56k (or $46k without FSD). I’ve been shooting myself in the foot for not getting AWD while the price was low as I live in a snowy climate.

I know I will lose out on the heat pump, power trunk, double pane windows, boombox and new center console, but I’ll be gaining AWD, more range, 2 seconds off my 0-60.

Should I make this upgrade?

Reactions: Tomc62
A few months ago I purchased my 2021 SR+ for $39k after taxes. Vroom is offering me $45k.

I’m seeing a 2019 M3P stealth with 17k miles and a clean history on Tesla’s site for $56k (or $46k without FSD). I’ve been shooting myself in the foot for not getting AWD while the price was low as I live in a snowy climate.

I know I will lose out on the heat pump, power trunk, double pane windows, boombox and new center console, but I’ll be gaining AWD, more range, 2 seconds off my 0-60.

Should I make this upgrade?
You should upgrade but to a 2021 dual motor. Unless Track Mode is highly important to you, I strongly suggest a brand new M3LR for $51k over that $56k/$46k 2019 M3P stealth. Nothing wrong with a 2019 M3P stealth but prices for lightly used cars are bonkers currently, at that price you might as well buy a new Model 3 instead with the latest enhancements and full warranty remaining.

Skip the $10k FSD option. If you have to ask whether this car upgrade is worth it, FSD is definitely NOT worth it for you. No offense meant by that, $10k for FSD wasn't worth it for me either! If you really want to spend $56k, I suggest $51k for a new M3LR, $2k for Acceleration Boost, $2k for 18" forged wheels, and $1k for 18" performance tires.

Or scrounge up $3k more and get a $59k new M3P, for Track Mode v2 + better brakes + maximum acceleration.

Last edited:
I've asked in the past, but Tesla won't remove FSD from their used vehicles. If you can swing it, go new LR with acceleration boost unless you want the FSD, then the 2019 will be fantastic! I love my 2018 stealth M3P.
I thought you could remove FSD from used but apparently that’s only on new. I also confirmed by calling Tesla. I would only make the 2021=>2019 move if the net difference was $1k but not worth it to me for the $11k since they won’t remove FSD.

It surprising how much they are offering. Vroom offered nearly 45k for my 2020 SR+ with no FSD. It has almost 7k miles on it. I thought about it but I’ll keep it.

42671D09-68B5-4FF2-BE7E-780BBAF21B62.jpeg

It surprising how much they are offering. Vroom offered nearly 45k for my 2020 SR+ with no FSD. It has almost 7k miles on it. I thought about it but I’ll keep it.

View attachment 753071
Vroom seems to be valuing SRs at more than other models for some reason. They offered me $42k for my stealth performance with FSD, new tires, clean history, and 32k miles.

From a performance perspective, absolutely nothing.

From a daily driver perspective, the changes add up to a better experience (heat pump, dual pane glass, center console, etc).
Ah, right, I just don't feel like it's worth a price difference of 1yo vs 2yo car. When they will be 3yo vs 4yo - price might be negligible unless people really want 21 year version.

@ScoGold so what did you end up doing. Selling used car at those prices is awesome and worth buying new car to cut on losses. never? been a better time to sell used (not classic) cars.
So, Tesla would not remove FSD from the used car so it would not be worth spending the $12k for the ‘upgrade’ to the older car. Decided to just stick with my 2021 M3SR+ for now.

Reactions: boriszima
@ScoGold so what did you end up doing. Selling used car at those prices is awesome and worth buying new car to cut on losses. never? been a better time to sell used (not classic) cars.
@boriszima I’m actually considering this again but with a different car.

There is a local Alfa Romeo dealership that has a 2020 M3 Stealth Performance with 40k miles that has been sitting on their lot for 2.5 months. The price has dropped from $58k to $51k and I’m considering going in and trying to offer <$50k to take it off their hands since the price is now dropping every few days and I’m sure they just want to get rid of it.

I really wish my 2021 M3SR+ had AWD and the only feature I’d miss on my 2021 is the power trunk. I know a 2022 M3LR in the blue/white config I want is $53k but I feel like I may get a deal on this older Stealth.

Help me decide.

@boriszima I’m actually considering this again but with a different car.

There is a local Alfa Romeo dealership that has a 2020 M3 Stealth Performance with 40k miles that has been sitting on their lot for 2.5 months. The price has dropped from $58k to $51k and I’m considering going in and trying to offer <$50k to take it off their hands since the price is now dropping every few days and I’m sure they just want to get rid of it.

I really wish my 2021 M3SR+ had AWD and the only feature I’d miss on my 2021 is the power trunk. I know a 2022 M3LR in the blue/white config I want is $53k but I feel like I may get a deal on this older Stealth.

Help me decide.

My initial thought is similar to what people said before. A brand new Model 3 LR is virtually the same price, give or take, in white or grey without FSD. Its available by May, and its 51k + destination (1200).

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.41.55 AM.png

Unless you are going to take your car to the track on a regular basis, this car + the acceleration boost will likely provide the performance you are looking for. A model 3 performance with 40k miles is not worth the same as a brand new model 3 LR, at least not in my book (and I am a model 3 performance owner).

There are no real "values" in used teslas right now, is my thought. There is virtually no used tesla that is "worth it" at this point, vs a new one.

Reactions: ScoGold and tm1v2
@ScoGold Ultimately the value is up to you and your priorities, but since you asked for more opinions, mine is the same as @jjrandorin's - there are not really any good values in used Model 3 at the moment, from what I've seen.

The entire market for used cars still under warranty (not real old or super high mileage) is extremely inflated right now, I presume by people desperate for a car immediately who cannot or will not wait for a new one. If you're not that desperate for the car right now, used seems of poor long-term value.

If you are desperate for a car ASAP, new Model 3 (and Y) show up in Tesla website inventory on a regular basis. Often they're demo cars which Tesla barely discounts at all, but brand new ones show up regularly too. If you really want a Model 3 urgently without the normal wait you can probably snag one that way, if it's a priority for you.

In this case I'd only advise getting this 40k miles used Stealth M3P at that price if you highly value Track Mode. Which personally I do, but I'm way out of mainstream there. I would not buy that 40k miles used car just for the extra acceleration. That is a reflection of my priorities though, yours may be different!