Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade my 3 LR + cash for your Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this was a M3P I'd be all over it.

How does one trade cars anyhow? Seems like both parties have to take an extra sales tax hit.
What do you mean by sales hit? I am honestly not sure to be honest yet - but starting with two willing parties - has to be a way!

In GA we pay ad valorem tax on any sales purchase. You can trade your car in to a dealer to reduce the sales price (and your tax) but they give you 5-7k less than the car is worth. A private party swap is potentially a way to getting market value for the trade and avoid paying the full ad valorem tax.

At least that's my thinking...

What do you mean by sales hit? I am honestly not sure to be honest yet - but starting with two willing parties - has to be a way!

In GA we pay ad valorem tax on any sales purchase. You can trade your car in to a dealer to reduce the sales price (and your tax) but they give you 5-7k less than the car is worth. A private party swap is potentially a way to getting market value for the trade and avoid paying the full ad valorem tax.

At least that's my thinking...

In a private party sale... the buyer has to pay sales tax on the purchase. It makes a swap not worth it unless it went through a dealer (in FL you pay sales tax on the price difference but in a swap you are essentially pay nothing except dealer fees)

Anyhow, I'm looking for a M3P not a M3LR. I want a track-ready car.

In a private party sale... the buyer has to pay sales tax on the purchase. It makes a swap not worth it unless it went through a dealer (in FL you pay sales tax on the price difference but in a swap you are essentially pay nothing except dealer fees)

Anyhow, I'm looking for a M3P not a M3LR. I want a track-ready car.
Every state is different, some states have zero sales tax on private sales.