TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Trade Plus suspension for regular suspension on D car...

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by sorka, Apr 6, 2017.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

I have a P85D March build with the Plus suspension. The plus suspension was dropped in April. If you want the plus suspension, I'll do a straight swap for a post April car's suspension.

The catch is the taker has to pay labor. I don't require that this be done at Tesla as any decent suspension shop should be able to perform this job. I also have life time alignment at another shop so the labor doesn't need to include re-alignment on my side.

2. silentsnow31802

I have a P90D with the non + suspension. I wouldnt mind a trade depending on how much a swap would cost.

3. Jeffgtx

Jeffgtx Member

What are the smart air suspension requirements here? Is it required for plus?
    I do not have smart air.
    Interested in the swap.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

I haven't done the research to figure out what it would cost labor wise. I asked the Fremont service center and they said they simply wouldn't do the swap, so I think the next option is a certified Tesla body shop which will probably have a lot more experience anyways in replacing Tesla suspension components.

5. Jeffgtx

Jeffgtx Member

Does tesla offer the plus suspension parts even?

6. silentsnow31802

I would assume this would require refilling the air suspension tank. Let me talk to some guys at work (Fremont facility) and see if they can do the swap as a side job.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

They will not sell any suspension parts directly to owners. Only to certified body shops.

8. Jeffgtx

Jeffgtx Member

I should've been more clear. Can you go to a service center and purchase a suspension upgrade to plus and pay for installation there. I understand them not getting involved in used parts but will they install new?

9. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Nope

10. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

#10 3mp_kwh, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    From one SAS to the other, might this just be a change out of the four air-spring struts, and front & rear way? Sorka, I wonder if you wouldn't be happy keeping the 26mm / 21mm sways (rather than the newer 24/20, I think) and maybe just changing out the air springs? Lola used to bring up "head snatch", which would be reason to give those up, too, if that bothers you. Too bad Tesla doesn't indulge people who want a different suspension.

RE: coil to air
    Tonzo parts in SAS, away from just the air struts. This would be more than a suspension shop could pull off, as MCU changes would be required to recognize the air suspension (unless they have the software, which most wouldn't).

11. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

Yes it's 4 air shocks. Front and rear sway and rear bushing links.

It's labor intensive and the cost will be high as the rear drive unit has to come down.