Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade Rivian R1T for Plaid Model X/S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford Maverick (moderator edit) There is something wrong with owning a maverick.
Why?

Just rented one through Turo while vacationing in CA, plenty of space for gear, in our 60's and the low tailgate made it easy to sit on.

Sounds like you are quite the macho man (or woman, not that there's anything wrong with that).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like the title says looking to trade my launch Rivian R1T for a 2022 Model X...

I am (just) curious. (Not looking to trade.) Were you able to sell or trade your Rivian? What happened? Feel free to PM me, if you want.

I live in Davis, California. I've been (knowingly) passed on surface streets by only two Rivians so far. Unfortunately, circumstances didn't allow me to stop and talk to the drivers.

Then a few days ago I saw a buddy--a supermarket employee (who happens to own a new Model Y)--working check-out, and said, "Guess what? There's a Rivian parked out front!" Turns out the guy being checked-out was the Rivian's owner. So I got to talk to him and see the truck up close. It was one of the early releases (R1T), so like yours.

For the record, I was impressed. I don't need a pickup. My carport is small and I don't do pickup stuff any more. And I love my 2021 Model X. If I were going to buy a Rivian (I briefly considered ordering one in 2021), it would be the SUV version. But this truck seemed well-made with really good build-quality.

I can't speak to important characteristics like ride, handling, comfort, durability, and so forth, But four motors, a built-in electric tonneau cover, rugged-looking wheels, the side-to-side storage tunnel, and so forth all seemed nice. Five-seater, I believe.

Looks like a good truck. It will be interesting to see how Cybertruck and (by then) veteran Rivian truck sales compare in,...whatever year the CT is finally released.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc and Krash
Why?

Just rented one through Turo while vacationing in CA, plenty of space for gear, in our 60's and the low tailgate made it easy to sit on.

Sounds like you are quite the macho man (or woman, not that there's anything wrong with that).
Love our Tesla, but I still do some furniture building and projects around the house,etc. I don't see getting expensive furniture /cabinet grade ply or exoctic or any hardwoods in our or on top or our Tesla. The Maverick, overlooking the short bed, would be ideal as a run around vehicle capable of dirty work..(sort of ) With a roof rack, and a temp support I could carry 10' planks+ of Sepele or other other hardwoods to my small shop. I know of someone who is actually averaging 44 mpg in town, so why not ? Getting one soon or with out outrageous dealer mark up may be a challenge that may not pan out. So, what's so wrong with a FWD 42-47 mpg truck, under 30k?( xl model , base vehicle )

I would have loved to switch over to a R1T when my Model 3 was totaled but they were going for 125k back then so I passed. Looks like they are available in the low 90s right now. I think a trade to a new plaid X is a bit of a stretch right now but an R1T in hand is still going for more than he paid.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I see one R1T in the NC area, no R1S (they're mostly too new / just starting deliveries).

Not unexpected, people jump on something new without thinking through the entirety ownership, i.e., cost (of a nearly $100K vehicle), a BEV that may not match their typical use case - or even just people who buy with the intent of short term ownership (flippers, etc.)

Can't wait to get ours :)

Lemme trade my plaid X for an r1t when I’m 6 months my plaid X will be worth 130k still and the rivian will be worth 65k
Circling back here because someone I know just traded in their 22’ Plaid X. Worth the same as a “new” used R1T. Doesn’t help that the Tesla price cut just went into effect and now a brand new one is only $120k.