Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade Sr+ for LR Awd or Model Y

coconutboy84

Jul 2, 2017
Ontario
So I’m trading in my sr+, it’s been a great car but I’m kicking myself for not buying the long range. The sr just feels like I’m always running low on juice. So I put an order in for a LR AWD refresh. However I’m starting to seriously consider the model y for the extra space and ride height. The only thing I’m not sure about is how it will do range wise. I do a lot of driving..... also the m3 will be refreshed and the model y will have the “old” interior.
What do you guys think? I can’t decide. Lol

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
So I’m trading in my sr+, it’s been a great car but I’m kicking myself for not buying the long range. The sr just feels like I’m always running low on juice. So I put an order in for a LR AWD refresh. However I’m starting to seriously consider the model y for the extra space and ride height. The only thing I’m not sure about is how it will do range wise. I do a lot of driving..... also the m3 will be refreshed and the model y will have the “old” interior.

Depends on if you need the space vs the somewhat more "nimble" model 3. Crossovers (even fast ones) dont tend to drive like cars, with very few exceptions.... The porsche cayenne and macan are two that come to mind that feel like cars when you drive them. Even my wifes X3 M40, while being a nice medium size SUV, doesnt drive like a car. Plenty of space in that vehicle, though.

Since you asked for opinions, if you find yourself always not being able to fit what you want to in your model 3, then get a Y. If you havent found yourself saying frequently "I cant fit this in here" then get a 3.

jkdman123

Jul 15, 2019
San Diego
I think the only problem with going to the Y is the possibility of getting one with numerous defects. They don’t seem to have it dialed in just yet.

AxlxA

Jun 23, 2020
Bay Area
I think the only problem with going to the Y is the possibility of getting one with numerous defects. They don’t seem to have it dialed in just yet.
The Ys delivered this week has been much better. Panels aren't as badly aligned. Most things can be adjusted by hand. I picked up a Y with a friend on Saturday and the only thing I suggested to fix is the hood a little bent. But doors, lights, were aligned pretty well. The rims were scuffed for my liking but I'm a perfectionist. He didn't care because it's a lease.

As for 3-LRAWD vs Y, it comes down to your use case. You drive a lot, but do you need to carry cargo of any sort? Even if you have big boxes or containers, you'll like the Y better. The Y was more comfortable. More interior space due to the higher seats. Only reason these days to go for the 3 is sporty drive, the extra little bit in range, and the price tag.

At this stage of life for me, I'd go for the Y. I currently have a Stealth 3 but I would go for the LR Y not P.

one2many

Aug 16, 2019
germany
OK its early in the day with no "Beer" break. Asking a Forum what to do is like me asking
what size screw to use in a 50 story appt.building,or asking you partner. The mailman
may have more info than the rest of us. I guess its a Big Mac vs Whopper question, yep
we will give you lots of info. The flame thing is now going through my head.
Buy the fastest Tesla you can buy, banks have lots of money, do not sweat the small
stuff. What was the question?

Hightower

Aug 21, 2020
Lancaster, PA
I'm in the same boat. However I'm probably going to go with the M3 LR first because I need the range more than I need the space. Plus I expect that they'll announce a Model Y version with more range by next summer. Also, figure they'll have the Model Y defects totally solved by then. (I'll trade in my existing Mazda CX-9 to get the Model Y.)

qdeathstar

Completely Serious
May 17, 2019
VB
If you want more room get the y, you loose some of the sportiness but it’s basically a larger 3... I really like the extra cargo room in the back but miss out on the race car feel on the three, and I had an sr+ before....

coconutboy84

Jul 2, 2017
Ontario
ok well its decided. im going for the model Y. i know i will miss the sportiness and coolness of driving the M3 but i cant turn down the ride hieght and utility of the model Y. Plus it just feels nice being in a bigger car!

DDHEverything

Aug 13, 2020
Philly

For what it’s worth Road noise in the Y is significantly louder than in the 3. I also think that you can feel more of the road (I.e. bumps, rough roads, etc) in the Y. The drive is also significantly better in the 3.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC