Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade value strange after order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I used Tesla’s site and entered my vin number for a trade in value. It was $50,6xx. I decided today to place an order for a mp3. I entered the vin and submitted pics of my trade in and it is showing some interesting results

Net Trade-in Credit Pending
Final Trade-in Offer $42,100
Payoff Amount Pending

has anyone here experienced something like this? Maybe it’s just an initial number they put in? An $8500 difference is not going to fly for me, I have an email from Tesla showing a trade in credit which is correct to the number of the original quote. Oh and there isn’t anything wrong with my trade, it’s in excellent condition with no damage or car fax history.

Yesterday I used Tesla’s site and entered my vin number for a trade in value. It was $50,6xx. I decided today to place an order for a mp3. I entered the vin and submitted pics of my trade in and it is showing some interesting results

Net Trade-in Credit Pending
Final Trade-in Offer $42,100
Payoff Amount Pending

has anyone here experienced something like this? Maybe it’s just an initial number they put in? An $8500 difference is not going to fly for me, I have an email from Tesla showing a trade in credit which is correct to the number of the original quote. Oh and there isn’t anything wrong with my trade, it’s in excellent condition with no damage or car fax history.

Same thing happened to me it was a 4K difference between initial estimate to VIN input. I had to take the car over to carmax and get an appraisal and they honored the difference.

Reactions: 413jreese
Same thing happened to me it was a 4K difference between initial estimate to VIN input. I had to take the car over to carmax and get an appraisal and they honored the difference.

I just called Tesla and spoke with two different people. They state that the offer was invalid because of my vehicle having a different engine than the original quote. All I did was input my vin number, the vin shows the engine option spec. Nothing of my doing. Reps both said the offer was final and they could do nothing to change it. Well guess I’m not going to be a Tesla owner after all. Not going to take a $8,500 hit.

But what is the realistic value of your car? Was the first number that Tesla gave you higher than market? If they made a legitimate mistake and the revised amount is still reasonable I wouldn’t throw out the deal completely. Just see what you can get from a private party transaction or Carmax and then make a decision on whether you want the car.

Reactions: SSedan
But what is the realistic value of your car? Was the first number that Tesla gave you higher than market? If they made a legitimate mistake and the revised amount is still reasonable I wouldn’t throw out the deal completely. Just see what you can get from a private party transaction or Carmax and then make a decision on whether you want the car.

the first number was maybe a little high. The final offer on my account page was really low... like really really low. I like the m3p, but I guess not that much. If someone would have at least made some effort, I would at least consider it. It’s just not meant to be, cars come and go.

the first number was maybe a little high. The final offer on my account page was really low... like really really low. I like the m3p, but I guess not that much. If someone would have at least made some effort, I would at least consider it. It’s just not meant to be, cars come and go.

Tesla is not known for having a great sales team. They mainly just get in the way. It’s very different from the traditional dealership model. It’s easy to get turned off by the company if you have a bad experience with them. But those of us who have looked past it have been happy with the car in spite of the bad customer service experience.

My final trade in offer was lower than their initial valuation too. But it was only a few hundreds, not thousands like yours. So I stopped by Carmax, wait 30 minutes for them to write an offer, took it to Tesla and they matched it to the pennies. A gain of $800 for my 30 minutes spent at Carmax, not too bad.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Was going to trade in a Range Rover, however I cancelled my order

Tesla tends to give Kelly Blue Book "good" value for their trade-ins. This can be very generous depending on timing and the vehicle. They gave me about $6k more than realistic market value for my Corvette because they just default to the value in the book, however, once everyone knew the new C8 Corvette would start below $60k the value of used C7s Corvettes dropped quickly.

So, if you go to KBB and run your car through the tool, what do you get? Like many have said, take it to Carmax or Carvana and they will give you and offer and Tesla will usually match it no questions asked. Tesla is not in the used car business so they don't spend a lot of time focusing on that part of the business. They want to sell and EV.

Tesla tends to give Kelly Blue Book "good" value for their trade-ins. This can be very generous depending on timing and the vehicle. They gave me about $6k more than realistic market value for my Corvette because they just default to the value in the book, however, once everyone knew the new C8 Corvette would start below $60k the value of used C7s Corvettes dropped quickly.

So, if you go to KBB and run your car through the tool, what do you get? Like many have said, take it to Carmax or Carvana and they will give you and offer and Tesla will usually match it no questions asked. Tesla is not in the used car business so they don't spend a lot of time focusing on that part of the business. They want to sell and EV.

They are giving me $34,200 for my 2014 C7 Z51 with 37,000 miles on it. I felt that was pretty generous

Another consideration is they might be willing to be generous when a trade is covering half the purchase but not when the trade was.nearly covering the purchase.

They gave me more for my trade in than the M3P cost. They just want to sell a Tesla. Your trade gets sent directly to an auction. Sometimes they make a few bucks on the trade and sometimes they lose but they always make a nice chunk of change when they sell a Tesla. Tesla will pay pretty good to convert an ICE owner to an EV as that is their mission in life. However, if you try to trade in your Tesla for another Tesla, they make it very clear with their offer that they do not want the car back. They want us selling them elsewhere in the market.