TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trade war and Tesla Canada Sales

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phillip L, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

This whole Trump trade war has got me really rethinking my future plans vis a vis Tesla. Don’t get me wrong. I love this company and I put down the deposit on a Model 3, only to half expect not to use it since we bought a Chevy Volt in the meantime to replace our other ice vehicle. But I felt fine giving Tesla an interest free loan. Would not have done it for any other company in the world. But if this nonsense from the Trump Administration continues into the future and causes a trade war, my next ev to replace our present ev’s (I will never go back to to driving an ice vehicle), which I always assumed would be a Tesla, will definitely not be an American car. In the next few years there will be plenty of good, long range ev’s to choose from a myriad of other car manufacturers. And in 3 or 4 years the Supercharger advantage will undoubtedly be negated by a rival DC fast charging network.

• Disagree x 8
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  2. tes-s

tes-s Member

Just buy the car. You can use it to lower the cost of crossing the border to buy milk.

• Funny x 15
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. toolioiep

toolioiep Member

Of course you are assuming that "non-American" care isn't actually built in the US. You are also assuming that things won't change - which was the same assumption you made when you put down your deposit. Clearly they do - on just about every front.

Agreed with the other poster - just purchase the car you want/can afford and don't worry about things you can't control. Life is too short to do otherwise....

• Like x 4
  4. Buggle

Buggle Member

What on earth does trump bring an arse have to do with tesla? Just buy the car before we imposed duties on them and you're good.

5. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Ha. I use our cheaper drug costs to keep from getting too uptight about milk. Maybe we can cross paths when I am picking up my milk and you are getting your Prozac.

• Funny x 4
  6. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

The trade 'war' is greatly exaggerated. It is a marketing war between corporations trying to buy influence/media on both sides of the border.

International trade is dynamic. NAFTA was never 'free' trade. There were exclusions from day one. Today we are in a different world where China is an economic threat to all free nations, and has become a necessary evil to combat this.

China's base political philosophy has been a communist world since Mao. By taking it slower, and going the economic route instead of a military one, they are succeeding where the USSR could not. One of the basic tenets of communist thought is that capitalism will lose because of greed. Capitalists will sell out their freedom for money, and China is counting on this.

This has never changed.

• Like x 4
  7. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

I have a Tesla now. I made clear that I am talking about the future and IF a trade war ensues. If the southern Ontario economy is put into recession by US government policy on automobile manufacturing then it makes absolute sense to take it seriously. And there is definitely one thing you can control .... what you spend your discretionary money on. That is about the only thing you can control.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  8. RedMS

RedMS Member

Buy a Canadian made car ;)

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  9. Buggle

Buggle Member

If a trade war happens the big 3 automakers will be bankrupt within one fiscal quarter. Won't happen. This is all b.s. trump's throwing to his base prior to November midterms.

• Like x 2
  10. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

I hope you are right. Then if things are back to normal, all this discussion is moot.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I’m not sure Trump does anything rationally... except play to his base.

• Like x 2
  12. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

But I can certainly buy a German or Japanese car. Or that Ipace from Jaguar is looking good.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  13. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

According to much of the press and celebrities you are absolutely right.

Reality? Watch actions more than words. Words sell newspapers and get people elected. Actions create change.

So far, Trump has failed to raise my taxes, I have a Governor for that. Trump has failed to abolish EVs, I have a Governor working on that. Trump has not removed any of my Constitutional Rights. Again, I use my state government for that purpose.

I was reading a SCAQMD? document about plans to clean our air. Personal EVs were ignored for the most part. Mostly H2 and commercial diesels fueled with petro-derived fuels and a big chunk for studies.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. Darscot

Darscot Member

Elon is a Canadian citizen and is in a relationship with a fellow Canadian not really sure how that is supposed to be adversarial to me as a Canadian.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I don't want to start a political argument here. However, his actions as pertains to Canada are not those of a friend. We have a very balanced, mutually beneficial trading relationship, and he's making is sound like we're somehow mysteriously taking advantage of the USA. It doesn't make sense.

• Like x 6
  16. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

But some of us bought a Tesla, not to buy an EV, but to buy into a company that we believe in.

17. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Have you evaluated the finished trade agreement? What in it offends you? Not words, actions are what I'm interested in. I've heard from Wall Street and their marketing teams, they say it sucks.

18. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Very good points. And the real threat to American security is from China. But could it be that because China holds a few trillion in US government debt that they could dump on the market that they pussyfoot around with them and treat their allies like crap?

19. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Absolutely my sentiments when I bought my Tesla.

20. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

American financial institutions let greed get the better of them. It was wrong from a national security standpoint, but both sides of our government sold out to them. We elected the candidate who took the least amount of money from Wall Street because as a nation, we are tired of being the only tree in the dog park. Trump was not elected because of who he is, but because of who his opponent was/is.

A dancing bear would have won the last election. The American public was tired of being conned.

• Like x 1