Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade war and Tesla Canada Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the reality... a trade war with Canada probably hurts us more than the USA but that's not what is happening here. This is (in general), an attack on his allies and not just for trade. There is an all out media assault on his allies, peddling fake facts and ridiculous name calling. Meanwhile, dictators in China, Russia and North Korea are people Trump "can trust" are "smart" and admirable. The Canadian, Brits, French and Germans are backstabbing, untrustworthy snakes.

I was watching a CBC report the other day outlining how many of our beloved men and women in uniform have died (in Iraq and Afghanistan) supporting our allies to the south and I am astonished at the level of disrespect. Some here have suggested these are just "words" and it is actions that matter. That is hogwash. Words matter, actions matter. Right now, both are really bad coming from the White House.

I still have solidarity with the 50% that haven't lost their collective minds down south.
It's telling that Trump goes around the world praising the nationalists (pro-Brexit, pro-Putin, pro-Duterte, pro-Kim, etc.) for standing up for their country, but when Trudeau does it (and rather mildly), it's a personal affront to Trump. I think NAFTA really gets under his skin and Canada and Mexico are to blame for whatever it is he imagines it has done to U.S. manufacturing. As usual, his eye is off the ball: China is the biggest threat, but as long as they are extending trademarks for his beloved daughter, all is well. The corruption is boundless.

It's telling that Trump goes around the world praising the nationalists (pro-Brexit, pro-Putin, pro-Duterte, pro-Kim, etc.) for standing up for their country, but when Trudeau does it (and rather mildly), it's a personal affront to Trump. I think NAFTA really gets under his skin and Canada and Mexico are to blame for whatever it is he imagines it has done to U.S. manufacturing. As usual, his eye is off the ball: China is the biggest threat, but as long as they are extending trademarks for his beloved daughter, all is well. The corruption is boundless.

Bravo... in my opinion you both hit the nail on the proverbial head. The only reason that trump pursued the whitehouse is because he wantd to get leverage to be able to get into countries like China to peddle is business interests there. he care not about the responsibility of the position of President and what it entails. Too bad the citizenry does not see through his smoke screen.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and Struja
Nah, I think he was as surprised as anybody. Mike Pence, Donald Jr. and Melania never thought Trump would become president. But after winning, what's a grifter to do?

Michael Moore (not that I believe anything he says, I think he's a bit of a tool) has said a couple times that he did it as a way of gaining leverage in his renewal negotiations with NBC for the Apprentice (ie. look how popular and famous I am, I need a raise!). Not totally beyond the realm of belief. Then he realized he had a shot and went for it. Then Melania cried. A lot.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Your assertion is incomplete and misleading.

Here's your source: Canada | United States Trade Representative

Here's what it (The White House) also says about services trade with Canada:

Trade Balance

• The U.S. goods trade deficit with Canada was $17.5 billion in 2017, a 59.7% increase ($6.5 billion) over 2016.
  • The United States has a services trade surplus of an estimated $26 billion with Canada in 2017, up 8.0% from 2016.
17.5B goods deficit offset by 26B service surplus to me seems like a net of 8.5B trade surplus. This coming from the White House. In what color exactly do we need to spell it to be accepted as truth?

;)
I think he's conceded that point.