Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade war and Tesla Canada Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole Trump trade war has got me really rethinking my future plans vis a vis Tesla.
The US Presidential election system is flawed whereby a minority of the electorate can elect a representative for the majority. The more idiotic that representative behaves the more impetus there is for change. Don't worry, things will change and soon. I am one Californican who has our Canadian amigos back and there are millions more like me.
I hope you are right. Then if things are back to normal, all this discussion is moot.
Relax this is nothing more than a petulant child trying to get some attention to deflect from his real, internal legal problems. Continue with your plans as you see fit. This will all blow over soon.

Exactly. In many people loyalty matters. And I am one.

I will never forget how the Canadian Embassy in Tehran gave shelter to Americans when the student radicals stormed the US Embassy. This was done at great personal risk to Canadian staff and personnel and their families. I made a phone call on that fateful night to my personal phone number but an Ottawa area code to give a personal "thank you" to whoever answered the phone (that was one flabbergasted recipient!). I will always be grateful and I will never forget. "O Canada, we stand on guard for thee"

Hi to our newest Canadian friends , Peter and Yvonne from Sarnia and Gaetan and Pierre from Montreal, who we met on our just completed cruise!

Last edited:
Have you evaluated the finished trade agreement? What in it offends you? Not words, actions are what I'm interested in. I've heard from Wall Street and their marketing teams, they say it sucks.

I'm talking about the existing trade situation.

The USA has various subsidies and duties for certain small markets that they're protecting. So does Canada. Everyone does. These are tiny things on the scale of the trade between the two countries.

The USA and Canada have roughly balanced trade in goods and services ALREADY. In fact the main reason they're balanced is that Canada sells a lot of oil and gas to the USA; otherwise you'd have a huge surplus.

We're your best customer by far - you sell more stuff to Canada than anywhere else, including EU, Mexico, and China. Usually not a great idea to bash your best customer. 9 million US jobs depend on sales to Canada.

Yes respect deserves respect and Trudeau is a backstabber. Also as all Trump haters you just won’t give the guy any credit no matter what he does huh? Kim agreed to denuclearize. I’d say that is requiring something. But the size and cost of their lunch seems to be more important.

Trudeau a backstabber?? Trudeau has been saying his message the whole week! He is just protecting Canadian interest and has been doing that in a polite way. Trump is just a sour grape who cannot stand is someone disagrees with him. He even will not say that at the negotiating table, no he let other people do that. He is only the hero on Twitter or at news conferences when no one can disagree with him directly. He is weak and pathetic!

I don't want to start a political argument here. However, his actions as pertains to Canada are not those of a friend. We have a very balanced, mutually beneficial trading relationship, and he's making is sound like we're somehow mysteriously taking advantage of the USA. It doesn't make sense.

Last I heard there was a $17billion dollar trade deficit with Canada and $150billion with the EU. Yeah taking any steps to address that is pure evil and proof of being a stark raving lunatic not a level headed genius like that guy at the Tony's the other night...............

The US has long provided undeclared foreign aide via unfair trade deals to most of the rest of the world, Trump is trying to sort it out. He has also stated ultimately he would like zero tariffs.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Vawlkus and T34ME
I think this whole thread is on it's way to the quarantine bin!

It probably should have never been started. Cars are a globally sourced product. Canada is prime supplier, and also exports complete cars. And the thread is regurgitated.

If someone buy cars for political purposes that's cool. I normally just buy them for transportation or entertainment.

Last edited:
Just buy the car. You can use it to lower the cost of crossing the border to buy milk.

Hhhh.... A few years ago, half the lot of the Bellingham, WA Costco were Vancouver, BC plates and the were buying pallet loads of Milk. I had to Google the reason why.

But I can certainly buy a German or Japanese car. Or that Ipace from Jaguar is looking good.
Don't forget about Kia and Hyundai.

Last I heard there was a $17billion dollar trade deficit with Canada and $150billion with the EU. Yeah taking any steps to address that is pure evil and proof of being a stark raving lunatic not a level headed genius like that guy at the Tony's the other night...............

The US has long provided undeclared foreign aide via unfair trade deals to most of the rest of the world, Trump is trying to sort it out. He has also stated ultimately he would like zero tariffs.
Please check your numbers with the u.s. trade office, not trump.

Some facts--
1. Deficits/surpluses are irrelevant when discussing the health of a trade relationship.
The United states currently has a trade surplus with canada.
3. Canada is 10% the size of the u.s. it's shocking given this the u.s. has a surplus in the first place.
4. The u.s. agriculture industry is one of the most heavily subsidized industries going. Only China and certain European policies are close.
5. Canadian tariffs average 0.8% across all categories. Europe is over 4%. China is worse.

Please check your numbers with the u.s. trade office, not trump.

Some facts--
1. Deficits/surpluses are irrelevant when discussing the health of a trade relationship.
2. The United states currently has a trade surplus with canada.
3. Canada is 10% the size of the u.s. it's shocking given this the u.s. has a surplus in the first place.
4. The u.s. agriculture industry is one of the most heavily subsidized industries going. Only China and certain European policies are close.
5. Canadian tariffs average 0.8% across all categories. Europe is over 4%. China is worse.
6. If trump goes ahead with tariffs on the Canadian auto sector the big 3 automakers will be bankrupt within a quarter.
7. If trump continues bullying canada he will be sending a message to the entire world (north korea included) that the word of the United states is not worth the paper it's written on. The u.s. already has this problem trumps approach will exacerbate it exponentially.

When it comes to goods, the import export balance favors Canada:
  • The U.S. goods trade deficit with Canada was $17.5 billion in 2017, a 59.7% increase ($6.5 billion) over 2016.

What you noted is true, about goods.

However when you include services, the balance swings to a trade surplus of $ 8.5 billion in favor of the USA.

You cannot look at only half the data, that would be fake analysis.

This whole Trump trade war has got me really rethinking my future plans vis a vis Tesla. Don’t get me wrong. I love this company and I put down the deposit on a Model 3, only to half expect not to use it since we bought a Chevy Volt in the meantime to replace our other ice vehicle. But I felt fine giving Tesla an interest free loan. Would not have done it for any other company in the world. But if this nonsense from the Trump Administration continues into the future and causes a trade war, my next ev to replace our present ev’s (I will never go back to to driving an ice vehicle), which I always assumed would be a Tesla, will definitely not be an American car. In the next few years there will be plenty of good, long range ev’s to choose from a myriad of other car manufacturers. And in 3 or 4 years the Supercharger advantage will undoubtedly be negated by a rival DC fast charging network.

We are also huge fans of Tesla the company and thought that maybe are next vehicle would be a model 3 or a maybe a long range Nissan leaf. Both are now off the table as both are made in the US. Most of the people where we work have started sharing info on product shopping so we can buy products from allied countries instead of the US. The American people and their government have declared us security risks and defense risks...you know, enemies. Never would have saw that coming 5 years ago. I spent a career in uniform serving beside Americans. I can't imagine the work environment in some of the places I served. The whole thing is bizarre. We need to tighten our trade and defense agreements with allied countries soonest. I can't imagine any real trust between Canadians and Americans happening anytime soon no matter how this turns out.

I'm hoping that we can start importing leafs from the Japan factory again. I think that is where they all came from before 2014.

Reactions: dmode and Koflach
Trudeau a backstabber?? Trudeau has been saying his message the whole week! He is just protecting Canadian interest and has been doing that in a polite way. Trump is just a sour grape who cannot stand is someone disagrees with him. He even will not say that at the negotiating table, no he let other people do that. He is only the hero on Twitter or at news conferences when no one can disagree with him directly. He is weak and pathetic!

But when Trump dares get a better deal for the US, he is suddenly a meanie.....