Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade war scarier than ev rebate/Ford?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To get back to the topic. There will be a lot of (non-Tesla) well built evs coming out of Europe in the next few years, and if Trump craters the Ontario economy with his tariffs, there will be a huuge backlash against any American made products here, including Teslas. It is one thing to have isolated industries affected by policies coming out of the US but an entirely different thing to have widespread economic disruption.

Reactions: Koflach
yup, if he goes the direction of putting a tariff on the auto sector in Canada it would really destroy the relationship Canada has with the states. In addition to that, it would dramatically hurt the american economy. Not sure how this would benefit anyone.

I like the Dutch, but I always get confused between the Dutch, Netherlands and Holland. Been there and tried to have the Dutch explain it to me. Good thing they have good beer -- you need a few to try to figure it all out... ;)
I've been six times
Yeah I can’t believe congress would actually let that happen. Yes I know they are totally dysfunctional but they do listen to lobbyists.
Seems like lobbyists or common sense don't really matter anymore, there's no more republican party, it's all just Trump.
When were the Republicans friendly with Russia and Big on protectionism, conversely when was the left about free trade. Tribalism has taken over everyone is either on the Right or the Left.

Reactions: Koflach and Canuck
I've been six times

Seems like lobbyists or common sense don't really matter anymore, there's no more republican party, it's all just Trump.
When were the Republicans friendly with Russia and Big on protectionism, conversely when was the left about free trade. Tribalism has taken over everyone is either on the Right or the Left.

I don't see both sides as tribal, only one. I think a more apt description is those who believe in facts and information, and those who believe in feelings.

There will be a lot of (non-Tesla) well built evs coming out of Europe in the next few years,

I'll believe it when I see it. From what I've been reading, the executives of those European automakers are doubling down on ICE, rather than building fast charging networks and rushing out long range EVs to compete with Tesla. If you really think there will be "a lot" of non-Tesla long range EVs coming out Europe in the next few years, I don't see them selling many without starting to build their fast charging network yesterday. They obviously know they need it yesterday if they expect to compete with Tesla today, but the lack of permits being pulled (basically none) should speak volumes to us as to the direction they are heading, which is not towards EVs but is, in reality, a "reluctance to embrace" them:

there will be a huuge backlash against any American made products here, including Teslas.
I doubt it, or at least hope not. I sure won't be punishing Tesla as a result of Trump's agenda.

I'll believe it when I see it. From what I've been reading, the executives of those European automakers are doubling down on ICE, rather than building fast charging networks and rushing out long range EVs to compete with Tesla. If you really think there will be "a lot" of non-Tesla long range EVs coming out Europe in the next few years, I don't see them selling many without starting to build their fast charging network yesterday. They obviously know they need it yesterday if they expect to compete with Tesla today, but the lack of permits being pulled (basically none) should speak volumes to us as to the direction they are heading, which is not towards EVs but is, in reality, a "reluctance to embrace" them:

I doubt it, or at least hope not. I sure won't be punishing Tesla as a result of Trump's agenda.

X2 I highly doubt there will be anyone who will boycott american made products. If it's better quality sure No one will differ from that. But when a vehicle is built by robots .... no one gives a SHjt then.

X2 I highly doubt there will be anyone who will boycott american made products. If it's better quality sure No one will differ from that. But when a vehicle is built by robots .... no one gives a SHjt then.
Yeah but it's never ALL robots, there's still a feeling of patriotism or nationalism when buying a product. I'll give you that that is a diminishing feeling as global companies automate more and more. How proud are people that Amazon is American?

I disagree. In this area (Okanagan) shopping lists are being shared on social media helping folks to not just buy Canadian but to buy from anyplace except the US with preference given to Latin American and European products. Common water cooler discussion as well. Canada is now listed as a security threat by the US government which represents the American people. It is this security threat that is the basis for the tariffs. Interesting times. To each his own. For us though (and most we know) we will avoid as many American products as we can including either the Tesla or the Leaf. We are not replacing our Leaf for a couple years and would love to get a 3 or a Y or maybe a long range Leaf but we will look towards Europe for its replacement as long as Americans consider us a potential enemy. Nothing personal against Americans but I'll stand by my country which I served for a full military career as well as my wife.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's never ALL robots, there's still a feeling of patriotism or nationalism when buying a product. I'll give you that that is a diminishing feeling as global companies automate more and more. How proud are people that Amazon is American?

This is why Americans are such great people. willing to stand by their country evan if it means paying an extra 10k per vehicle and remortgaging their home.

As a Canadian I say F that. I'm going to save myself 10k and invest that money into other sectors.

I disagree. In this area (Okanagan) shopping lists are being shared on social media helping folks to not just buy Canadian but to buy from anyplace except the US with preference given to Latin American and European products. Common water cooler discussion as well. Canada is now listed as a security threat by the US government which represents the American people. It is this security threat that is the basis for the tariffs. Interesting times. To each his own. For us though (and most we know) we will avoid as many American products as we can including either the Tesla or the Leaf. We are not replacing our Leaf for a couple years and would love to get a 3 or a Y or maybe a long range Leaf but we will look towards Europe for its replacement as long as Americans consider us a potential enemy. Nothing personal against Americans but I'll stand by my country which I served for a full military career as well as my wife.

Lets be honest for a second here. There are certain products that the United states produce that are only acceptable to the construction industry. One can not say to boycott certain manufacturers. you would not be able to bid on allot of projects if that's the case. Would hate to see a building built on Chinese plumbing fixtures when the engineer spec'd American manufactured fixtures. As a business owner you would be out of business in months and out of the industry.

That's doesnt mean an american product is better. but sometimes you have to follow specs and follow what firms request.

This is why Americans are such great people. willing to stand by their country evan if it means paying an extra 10k per vehicle and remortgaging their home.

As a Canadian I say F that. I'm going to save myself 10k and invest that money into other sectors.

Lets be honest for a second here. There are certain products that the United states produce that are only acceptable to the construction industry. One can not say to boycott certain manufacturers. you would not be able to bid on allot of projects if that's the case. Would hate to see a building built on Chinese plumbing fixtures when the engineer spec'd American manufactured fixtures. As a business owner you would be out of business in months and out of the industry.

That's doesnt mean an american product is better. but sometimes you have to follow specs and follow what firms request.

Yes. One must be realistic and we still purchase American products. But we avoid it if we can.

The buy local thing is much stronger in BC than anywhere else in Canada.

Buggle. It may be stronger in BC but believe me it is not just in BC. I know lots of people who have changed plans on visiting the US. And many have stopped buying American products already. As an example, US wine is a no go among us and our friends and we do love our wine, maybe a bit too much.:rolleyes:
The only US product I'm intentionally buying right now is gas. It's a difference of around $0.40-$0.50 per litre. Once my tesla shows up, no more trips too the states to get gas unless the wife wants me to fill her SUV up.