Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded C8 Corvette in on Tesla Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I kept my 850hp C7Z06. Never saw so much hate over on the Corvette forum in the C8 section over the Tesla Plaid. This is my 2nd Tesla, first was a P3. I looked at what it would take to make my C8 perform as well or as close to the Tesla Plaid, it would have taken about $40K to Twin Turbo charge it (900whp) and even then it would have needed drag radials to turn in a similar 1/4 mile, couldn't do it so I used it as trade. My C7Z is about 1000lbs lighter than the Plaid so at 850hp it accelerates about as hard from a 40 roll, but at the drag strip it would still need drag radials to turn a mid 9 sec 1/4. Very impressed with the power output and subtle changes to the body exterior and interior.

Attachments

• Tesla Plaid.jpeg
    Tesla Plaid.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 239
  • TP C7Z.jpeg
    TP C7Z.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 125
Very cool cars man. I'm a huge fan of the new C8 & it looks like the perfect shell for a forthcoming C8 EV using what they learn on the more entry-level cars since the legacy builders are still backwards in their thinking.

That said, the ONLY thing I despise about my Teslas are the piss-poor customer support, the undeserved stigma of those who own them & the pompous attitude of many in our community who help to perpetuate said stigma.

Otherwise, the best vehicles I've ever owned in every way possible. I've owned incredibly fast cars but they weren't comfortable, quiet or reliable. I've owned cars that were comfortable, quiet & reliable but never stupid fast.

Before Tesla, to get ALL of those in a single package at any price was unheard of. Now it's commonplace in 4-5 year old cars costing under $40k.

Tesla passed the competition in these categories years ago & now they're just lapping the field at faster & faster rates. It's impressive & anyone who claims to be into performance that ignores that or (even worse) hates on it is just an idiot. No other way to say that.

Very cool cars man. I'm a huge fan of the new C8 & it looks like the perfect shell for a forthcoming C8 EV using what they learn on the more entry-level cars since the legacy builders are still backwards in their thinking.

That said, the ONLY thing I despise about my Teslas are the piss-poor customer support, the undeserved stigma of those who own them & the pompous attitude of many in our community who help to perpetuate said stigma.

Otherwise, the best vehicles I've ever owned in every way possible. I've owned incredibly fast cars but they weren't comfortable, quiet or reliable. I've owned cars that were comfortable, quiet & reliable but never stupid fast.

Before Tesla, to get ALL of those in a single package at any price was unheard of. Now it's commonplace in 4-5 year old cars costing under $40k.

Tesla passed the competition in these categories years ago & now they're just lapping the field at faster & faster rates. It's impressive & anyone who claims to be into performance that ignores that or (even worse) hates on it is just an idiot. No other way to say that.
Agree I'm not a car snob and like many different makes an models and also own a 64' Impala SS 409 and 66' Mustang. I love the old and the new. One of the reasons I traded the C8 and kept the C7 was knowing the C8 was going to include a battery hybrid in upcoming variants called the "E Ray". So glad that GM is taking the time to upgrade the Vette with a batter up front. When I took the C8 into the Tesla dealership all eyes were on it, GM got the styling right for sure..now they need to keep the legacy alive with an EV Hybrid. I kept my C7 because it was the last of the FE ICE Vettes and really was the maximum that could be done with the front engine platform..so it becomes a keeper. I couldn't pass on the Plaid after seeing it's performance and plus I need a car that holds more than two people and that I can commute in. I just would really like to understand the circumstances related to the fire that took place last week. Hopefully it was shenanigan's with the owner and not the engineering on the car itself. When the C8 came out people were keeping the FOB in their front pockets and the FRUNK was flying up. They were blaming GM. I had the C8 for over a year and never had a single issue with it.

But I kept my 850hp C7Z06. Never saw so much hate over on the Corvette forum in the C8 section over the Tesla Plaid. This is my 2nd Tesla, first was a P3. I looked at what it would take to make my C8 perform as well or as close to the Tesla Plaid, it would have taken about $40K to Twin Turbo charge it (900whp) and even then it would have needed drag radials to turn in a similar 1/4 mile, couldn't do it so I used it as trade. My C7Z is about 1000lbs lighter than the Plaid so at 850hp it accelerates about as hard from a 40 roll, but at the drag strip it would still need drag radials to turn a mid 9 sec 1/4. Very impressed with the power output and subtle changes to the body exterior and interior.
Actually it is for anything electric. There are some who would never buy the E-Ray (PHEV) because it is "electric". Even if it was the quickest, fastest, best handling Corvette ever - they would not buy. Truly crazy. I would be happy with a C8 powered by a flux capacitor if it had the performance.

Reactions: Flyguy
Great choice! Having a C7 Z06 as your weekend car and a Plaid as your daily is an ultimate combo. As great as the C8 is, it doesn't make much sense to own that and a C7. With the Plaid you are basically getting the C8 performance with 3 extra seats and loads more space, maybe not as much of a looker but who cares you got the Z06 for that. Congrats!

Great choice! Having a C7 Z06 as your weekend car and a Plaid as your daily is an ultimate combo. As great as the C8 is, it doesn't make much sense to own that and a C7. With the Plaid you are basically getting the C8 performance with 3 extra seats and loads more space, maybe not as much of a looker but who cares you got the Z06 for that. Congrats!
The C8 is great but at 495hp it left a lot to be desired for me at least. I added a bigger blower to my C7Z which took it from 650hp to 850hp. It puts a grin on my face every time I drive it, the C8 just looks great. When they add 100-200 more hp to it and give it some wider tires it will be a supercar force to be reckoned with on the track, right now it's just really cool to look at and performs well.
Actually it is for anything electric. There are some who would never buy the E-Ray (PHEV) because it is "electric". Even if it was the quickest, fastest, best handling Corvette ever - they would not buy. Truly crazy. I would be happy with a C8 powered by a flux capacitor if it had the performance.
You are 100% correct. There are a few members on the site like me who own both Tesla's and Vettes, and we were always trying to just give honest feedback about both cars based on our experience as owners. But yeah there are people already hating on the E-Ray. I told them I didn't even think the C8 was as quick as my P3 and some C8 owners claim to have gotten 2.7 secs with their C8 using the on board timer, but the norm is 2.9-3.1 which is right in Tesla P3 territory. The fact that MT got a 2.44 sec 0-60 with the Tesla Plaid in just Plaid mode (not drag), is a standard that the E-Ray is going to have to achieve in my opinion at least. Plus they are still thinking the E Ray is going to be a $65K car when the MSRP for a C8 Z51 2LT is $82K and being sold for $90-100K used. Tesla gave me $90K for mine, which is what I paid for it over a year ago. The GM dealerships have been trying to make owners sign a contract that they wouldn't sell their cars for two years after purchase because dealerships are losing money to "flippers/scalpers"...kind of like Nvidia 3080 GPUs lol. So I imagine GM will change the price to reflect the market demand. I suspect the C8 E Ray will start around $75-80K for the base model, with all options being $100K. The Zora will be closer to the Model S Plaid as it will be a TT/Hybrid making 1000hp....but that is at least 3 years away.

That is so sad and most immature. I sold my M5 with the V10 that sounded like a F1 car and bought my 2013 Tesla P 85. I still have that car today and it’s an amazing ride in so many ways. Decided I like the electric so much I bought my wife model 3. Just took delivery six months ago of my C8 and I am pleased to say it’s an absolutely amazing US Exotic….Chevrolet hit it out of the ballpark. Just saw the Plaid at RSF C&C….it is amazing, enjoy!
Joys4me

Most old school car people see Tesla (well EV's) as a threat to something they hold close to their hearts, the hate just seems to be on another level beyond what the import tuners got when they started beating muscle cars.
It amuses me greatly when someone in a piece of crap with a loud exhaust tries to impress me or remind me how great 'real engines' sound by trying to beat me off the lights.

Most old school car people see Tesla (well EV's) as a threat to something they hold close to their hearts, the hate just seems to be on another level beyond what the import tuners got when they started beating muscle cars.
It amuses me greatly when someone in a piece of crap with a loud exhaust tries to impress me or remind me how great 'real engines' sound by trying to beat me off the lights.
They will have to get over it. EVs are the present and their future getting brighter and brighter. EVs are here to stay.

Reactions: Vinny860 and msm859
That is so sad and most immature. I sold my M5 with the V10 that sounded like a F1 car and bought my 2013 Tesla P 85. I still have that car today and it’s an amazing ride in so many ways. Decided I like the electric so much I bought my wife model 3. Just took delivery six months ago of my C8 and I am pleased to say it’s an absolutely amazing US Exotic….Chevrolet hit it out of the ballpark. Just saw the Plaid at RSF C&C….it is amazing, enjoy!
Joys4me
Wait are you talking to me? lol. I kept my C7Z that I modified myself in my garage and got rid of the slower car (C8), and picked up a Model S Plaid in it's place. How is that immature? I have been modifying Corvettes since 2000 with my 1000hp 01' Twin Turbo C5Z06 appearing twice in Vette Magazine. If that is sad and immature than I guess that is your opinion, but it also gives me one about you now. :) I will buy the version of the C8 that is better when it comes out...I've never been much of a base model guy so buying the Stingray with the Z51 package was just to have it as I was able to pick one up at MSRP in April 2020.

Traded in my 2017 torch red C7 Z06 with 650 HP and 650 torque for our 2017 Tesla S. Just couldn't justify having the Z06 sit in the garage unused for 5-6 months of the year here in New England (little to no traction in the cold weather---very dangerous to drive starting when the temperatures got into the 40's----needed it to get back into the 50's before it was really safe to take the car out), coupled with not being able to get all 3 grandchildren in the car with me. Tesla S was very comparable performance wise to all but the top Z06's at the time. I found the corvette forums to be very toxic as well---each generation had its diehard fans that felt compelled to criticize every other generation vett. The recently deleted Tesla forum had its share of nut jobs as well----reminded me of the vette forums. I do miss ripping through the 7 gears of the Z06-----it was a fun car to drive. My grown children loved borrowing it---especially my daughter---she learned to drive a stick on one of our vettes as a teenager.

Another Tesla and Vette owner here. I have a 13' cyber grey 427 and 14' P85D. Haven't felt the need to really change, trade or get rid of either. Both serve a purpose in my garage.
Me too. Have a 2020 Model X and a 2014 C7. I have a deposit down on a C8 Stingray and an E-Ray. I am up at a major dealer for a 2022 - first allocation for the Stingray. Trying to figure if I pull the trigger or continue waiting for the E-Ray. Right now thinking of getting the Stingray and keep it for 1-2 years and then trade for the E-Ray. After tasting electric power the E-Ray should be great if GM does it right - PHEV with @10kWh battery and two 75+ hp motors. As to my C7 I am thinking of keeping it. Has the Z51 option with the 7 speed manual. Funny I love driving the X and also shifting gears in my C7. Sad that there are so many haters in the Corvette Forum . And don't get my started about all the hate for California on there.