Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded in C7 Z06 for M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the advice and kind words!

To compare the Z06 to the performance 3:

Speed:
When I first bought the car I took it to the drag strip and was able to get a 10.80 @123mph bone stock. At the time I believe it was the 2nd fastest time for a M7 on the corvette forums. After that I was never able to do it again. I either spun or the clutch slipped and was always in the high 11's. On the street the P3D is almost always faster. Punching both at 80 the vette would walk away but that doesn't matter much for street driving.

Handling:
While I understand the Z06 would kill the tesla on the track, that's just not my experience on the street. Most mornings on the way to my shop I take the same turn as fast as I can. I maxed out the Z06 at a 48mph turn. My first attempt in the P3D was 55mph and there was absolutely no traction control kicking in. The chevy's frame and suspension is just too stiff for the street. I have yet to find the limits of the P3D and after 1000 miles and that's a first for me.

Attention on the streets:
Everyone and their mother stared at the vette. I couldn't get gas without someone asking questions or complimenting the car. The 3 still gets plenty of looks but not as many. This is great for me.

Comfort and misc:
Not even close. The Z06 was a race car. It drove worse than my 2500hd and 3500hd turcks. It was a pain to get in and out of, the touch screen was a joke, tires lasted 6000 miles and were stupid expensive. I can go on and on. The tesla is a breath for fresh air.

I'm really hoping ludicrous happens and it obliterates everything on the road!

Thanks for the advice and kind words!

To compare the Z06 to the performance 3:

Speed:
When I first bought the car I took it to the drag strip and was able to get a 10.80 @123mph bone stock. At the time I believe it was the 2nd fastest time for a M7 on the corvette forums. After that I was never able to do it again. I either spun or the clutch slipped and was always in the high 11's. On the street the P3D is almost always faster. Punching both at 80 the vette would walk away but that doesn't matter much for street driving.

Handling:
While I understand the Z06 would kill the tesla on the track, that's just not my experience on the street. Most mornings on the way to my shop I take the same turn as fast as I can. I maxed out the Z06 at a 48mph turn. My first attempt in the P3D was 55mph and there was absolutely no traction control kicking in. The chevy's frame and suspension is just too stiff for the street. I have yet to find the limits of the P3D and after 1000 miles and that's a first for me.

Attention on the streets:
Everyone and their mother stared at the vette. I couldn't get gas without someone asking questions or complimenting the car. The 3 still gets plenty of looks but not as many. This is great for me.

Comfort and misc:
Not even close. The Z06 was a race car. It drove worse than my 2500hd and 3500hd turcks. It was a pain to get in and out of, the touch screen was a joke, tires lasted 6000 miles and were stupid expensive. I can go on and on. The tesla is a breath for fresh air.

I'm really hoping ludicrous happens and it obliterates everything on the road!

Conventional wisdom might suggest the Z06 would be faster on a track, but you might be interested in these listings for Streets of Willow, and Buttonwillow 13. A modestly modified DMP driven by Randy Pobst did 1:21.49 on Streets of Willow, which puts it in some elite company and just a second behind a highly modded Z06 Z07 package, and ahead of such notables as a Ferrari 458 Italia, and Porsche GT4. It appears that he just did 1:58 on Buttonwillow in a modded DMP+, while a stock DMP+ did 2:01, which puts it dead even with a Z06 on that listing, and ahead of such notables as a Porsche 911 GT3.

Its amazing street performance, which is far more usable and discreet than ICE cars, is mirrored in these track results. Economy, comfort, easy of operation (our biggest surprise was just how EASY and intuitive the car is to drive and its general precision and great driver feedback) . . . .and amazing track-ability. And after a track session, where you could see your watt-hr/mile over 1100, that's still the equivalent of 30 MPGe. You couldn't get that in a Z06 unless you put a sail on it and coasted down hill, let alone around a track, where 3 MPG might be realistic.

You do get to have your cake and eat it too.

Reactions: is2scooby
@Ericmp1989 - what color was your C7 Z06 ? I was set to get a C7 in Laguna Blue Tintcoat, but GM changed the color to Admiral Blue and didn't purchase because I thought it was too dark. Now I have a Deep Blue Metallic P3D that is very similar to the Admiral Blue of the 2017 C7. Was set to order a 2019 Acura NSX, but went with the P3D instead.

Have fun with your Tesla !

The sidewall was punctured. Ugh. I don't blame Tesla or the roads - sometimes it is just bad luck. That said, I ended up buying a set of tsportline 18" rims with the high efficiency tires that come on the aero rims. I'm VERY happy with the purchase, because I do a lot of road trips, and this gives me peace of mind that I have a slightly more resilient setup when I may be in a hard to reach area (think I-70 in Utah), but also the range increase over the 20" and sticky (but great) Pilot Sport 4Ss is noticeable.

@rhuber - I may also purchase the 18" tsportlines. How much range increase have you noticed ? Was there a noticeable weight savings as well ?

Thanks for posting the pics !!

Wider tires may be helpful on a RWD 3, but with Dual Motors you probably want to go with square.

Loved the way that Randy would be so casual driving the 3 on the track, while running commentary on what he was planning to do to overtake others on the track, critique the brakes, tires and battery state of charge. All the while eating up the track with little drama or tire squeal.
Actually there was drama. On one turn Randy got too much into the corner and you can hear the right rear violently bottom out. Look at his face, he knew he bent the rim. That was not good.

@Ericmp1989 - what color was your C7 Z06 ? I was set to get a C7 in Laguna Blue Tintcoat, but GM changed the color to Admiral Blue and didn't purchase because I thought it was too dark. Now I have a Deep Blue Metallic P3D that is very similar to the Admiral Blue of the 2017 C7. Was set to order a 2019 Acura NSX, but went with the P3D instead.

Have fun with your Tesla !

This was right after I got it. It was their version of grey.

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 71
I've been holding on to my 50th Anniversary C5, but with every passing day where I opt to drive the MX at any opportunity, I wonder why I'm still holding on to it. If there was a convertible Tesla in the same price range (ie: maybe not the roadster) I'd be hard pressed not to trade it for the Vette.

@rhuber - I may also purchase the 18" tsportlines. How much range increase have you noticed ? Was there a noticeable weight savings as well ?

Thanks for posting the pics !!

It is extremely hard to get Apples->Apples comparison with so many variables. I drove the car with 20" rims, during the polar vortex, with snow tires, on extremely short trips. I was in the 500 wh/mi sometimes. Anecdotally, It seems the wheels and tires are a good amount more efficient, but I'd guess the tires not having as much grip is a bigger benefit over long highway miles.

I have the numbers in teslafi and have been breaking them down to find spots where temperatures and speeds overlap, but there are only about 50 datapoints that look good. This doesn't take into account headwind/tailwind/etc, so I just don't know. TBH, I should find someone with a stock model 3 performance and drive side-by-side for a bunch of miles to test....

Based on my numbers I'm doing about 11% better with this combo than the 20s, but I plan to collect more data and give a more reliable number later in the year.