Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded in my 2018 LR RWD for AWD: Observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's really interesting as they offered me $31,000 for my LR RWD with 12,000 miles and 19" wheels. I have no idea why it was so low. If they offered me $39,000 I would have already done the trade in that you just did, which was for the LR AWD or P3D. It's VIN is in the 13XXX, but not sure that should really matter. Although, I do not have FSD or autopilot, so maybe that's why, but it's literally $9,000 less than what a comparable used car would sell for on their website.

Really. $37K for a damaged RWD !! What a sweet deal. I would have jumped at that too.

Ya know... I am not convinced that's a bad thing. I have HomeLink with my M3 but it only works on arrival. On departure it works maybe MAYBE 20% of the time, likely closer to 10%.

Wow, mine works all the time :D

Door Opener.jpg

Just because automatic closing doesn't work, doesn't make it irrelevant. I have auto close turned off because I don't want to have any risk of my garage door automatically closing on my car. It still automatically pops up the button on the screen when I leave the garage so I can manually close the door. I'm not dealing with some stupid fob from the 80's stuck on my visor.
Plus the auto open when I get back home is one of my favorite features.
Maybe it's because I have an old garage door opener, but HomeLink sucks to the point that I don't use it at all. The problem for me is distance and reliability. I have to be pretty damn close to the door for it to work and half the time, it will stop in the middle of opening or closing which is even more infuriating because you would have to go the opposite way again then hit it again.

I opted for an Internet based garage door opener where it tells me if I've left it open and I can close it from anywhere provided your home is connected to the Internet. You can build your own for about $10 in parts. Best part is, I never have the issue where it stops in the middle of activation like I do with HomeLink.

HomeLink is still used as a backup in case Internet is down, which is rarely.

Just because automatic closing doesn't work, doesn't make it irrelevant. I have auto close turned off because I don't want to have any risk of my garage door automatically closing on my car. It still automatically pops up the button on the screen when I leave the garage so I can manually close the door. I'm not dealing with some stupid fob from the 80's stuck on my visor.
Plus the auto open when I get back home is one of my favorite features.

It was definitely a cheap move to not include homelink as standard. It should minimally be included with the premium interior.
Failing that it should at least be a factory option so you could have it installed before you pick the car up.
I'd really like to know Tesla's logic on that one, because I can't quite make sense of any benefit for them.
I think it would be fantastic if it worked right. My irrelevant comment was if I have to use an alternate means anyway, how much value does it add. So, you don't use it to close but it always puts up the drop-down saying in n feet it will close the door but you close it manually? What do you use for the distance when you set it up last. I am hoping it's a config issue. As for people worried about children or pets, that is what the laser sensor is for, to detect anything blocking the closing like a car, person, bike, little red wagon, etc. Even if the door is in motion if you block the sensor the door stops instantly.

I haven't had any issues with the garage closer when leaving. It seems to work reliably for me. I'm on a red 21xxx number received in June 2018.

Not sure what differences / factors might be at play as to why it doesn't work. There might be a garage door opener app that you might be able to use with geo fencing and an if/this then that type configuration. Not sure if the cost is worthwhile.
I suspect it is in configuration. When I initially programmed it or paired it with the opener I was maybe 18"-24" away from the door. I think my distance is 70' but I've played with it so maybe it's 50'. If you could say 1) if you were hugging the garage door when you initially paired it and what the distance from door you have set is I'd very much appreciate it!

I agree about driving. I don't like how the all-wheel drive car drives at all. I want the more battery range, and the premium interior, but I really think in the end I'm going to have to get the rear wheel drive SR plus. I just don't like the way they all wheel drive feels. It's heavier

This was my issue (though not as bad) along with the fact that HomeLink can't tell if the garage is open or not. So if my wife and I were both arriving home at the same time (but she got there first), I had my car close the garage onto her car or come close multiple times. If I had homelink on my M3, I would disable the location based opening/closing just for this reason.

I'm the only one with a model 3 so far and hadn't thought of that case.

Just traded in my 2018 Midrange Rwd vin 169xxx for a 2019 LR Awd vin 486xxx

Big difference in driving etc:

1. Steering feel is considerably heavier even in comfort mode. Feels Heavier (which it is)
2. Car is considerably faster, i thought my midrange was quick, not comparable.
3. Quality seems to be maybe a little less than earlier vin. Fitment of certain panels
dont seem to be as tight. Mainly bumpers. Body panel gaps seem to be better. Sheet metal joints/bends seem to be worse.
4. Missing items as noted in prev posts. No frunk mat/no homelink/no 220 connector with charger/also no cell phone charge cables for docking station unless someone stole them out of my car (not sure).
5. Seat foam quality seems to be reduced. Prev car was very pillow like. Seems to be not as dense foam. Leather quality is the same but when pushing on the seat the new car seems to be a much lighter density foam. My prev car was white interior/new car black, dont think this should impact seat foam but there is clearly a difference in seat bottom material.

Very happy w car so far. Unfortunately the car I ordered was damaged and rejected it prior to signing. That was a whole different issue trying to redo all the paperwork as orig unit was on all loan docs. Was a long day but sales location did me right.

• Informative
Reactions: David L
I think it would be fantastic if it worked right. My irrelevant comment was if I have to use an alternate means anyway, how much value does it add. So, you don't use it to close but it always puts up the drop-down saying in n feet it will close the door but you close it manually? What do you use for the distance when you set it up last. I am hoping it's a config issue. As for people worried about children or pets, that is what the laser sensor is for, to detect anything blocking the closing like a car, person, bike, little red wagon, etc. Even if the door is in motion if you block the sensor the door stops instantly.
I don't have automatic close turned on, so i don't get any distance readings. That being said the car knows that I'm in the vicinity of the garage door and automatically opens the pop-up box with buttons for my 2 garage doors that are setup in Homelink. (It essentially presses the green homelink icon for me) I back out of the garage, tap the button for my garage door, verify that it is going down and drive off. I'm guessing it works this way 99% of the time. When coming home I have auto open setup. I have the distance set pretty close (I think 20') The door almost always gets the signal.. Maybe 1 in 50 times it doesn't pick it up for some reason. Being in this close I do have to wait a few seconds for the door to go up before I can pull in, but it was less reliable when I had the distance set farther. I also have a short driveway and didn't want any chance of the door opening on the off chance that I drive past my house without pulling in.

Just traded in my 2018 Midrange Rwd vin 169xxx for a 2019 LR Awd vin 486xxx

Big difference in driving etc:

1. Steering feel is considerably heavier even in comfort mode. Feels Heavier (which it is)
2. Car is considerably faster, i thought my midrange was quick, not comparable.
3. Quality seems to be maybe a little less than earlier vin. Fitment of certain panels
dont seem to be as tight. Mainly bumpers. Body panel gaps seem to be better. Sheet metal joints/bends seem to be worse.
4. Missing items as noted in prev posts. No frunk mat/no homelink/no 220 connector with charger/also no cell phone charge cables for docking station unless someone stole them out of my car (not sure).
5. Seat foam quality seems to be reduced. Prev car was very pillow like. Seems to be not as dense foam. Leather quality is the same but when pushing on the seat the new car seems to be a much lighter density foam. My prev car was white interior/new car black, dont think this should impact seat foam but there is clearly a difference in seat bottom material.

Very happy w car so far. Unfortunately the car I ordered was damaged and rejected it prior to signing. That was a whole different issue trying to redo all the paperwork as orig unit was on all loan docs. Was a long day but sales location did me right.

4.) Yes car no longer comes with the phone charging cables. Think most are opting for Wireless Charging options like the one sold in the Tesla store so they did away with the cables to save a couple of bucks.

5.) The white interior is said to be a little more pillow like than black. Even on the Telsa website they hint at that.

Congrats on the upgrade!

4.) Yes car no longer comes with the phone charging cables. Think most are opting for Wireless Charging options like the one sold in the Tesla store so they did away with the cables to save a couple of bucks.

5.) The white interior is said to be a little more pillow like than black. Even on the Telsa website they hint at that.

Congrats on the upgrade!
Yea, has to be something w the seat foam vs the actual material you sit on.

This may vary based on your delivery manager; they asked me what type of phone connector I needed and provided me (gratis) the USB-C I asked for as well as a micro-USB.

This may vary based on your delivery manager; they asked me what type of phone connector I needed and provided me (gratis) the USB-C I asked for as well as a micro-USB.

Could depend on your delivery center location. The one for MA is quite large but they carry zero Tesla accessories, so that is not going to happen in my state. I know other delivery centers around the country inventory and sell some of the best selling Tesla accessories.

I have HomeLink with my M3 but it only works on arrival. On departure it works maybe MAYBE 20% of the time, likely closer to 10%. I've fiddled with the distance to no avail.
Most people that have this problem are not aware of the actions causing this. If you put the car in reverse when you park the car after pulling into the garage, home link will not activate on the way out. If you need to use the backup camera to make sure you are parked correctly you have two options. Activate the camera using the screen instead of reverse while keeping it in “Drive” or use home link every time you leave. Unfortunately a software fix could solve this but I don’t think the right people have complained enough.

• Informative
Reactions: wcorey and yerEVan