Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded in my 2018 LR RWD for AWD: Observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people that have this problem are not aware of the actions causing this. If you put the car in reverse when you park the car after pulling into the garage, home link will not activate on the way out. If you need to use the backup camera to make sure you are parked correctly you have two options. Activate the camera using the screen instead of reverse while keeping it in “Drive” or use home link every time you leave. Unfortunately a software fix could solve this but I don’t think the right people have complained enough.

Huh? I back into my garage every day, and homelink works every day when I leave. But your explanation makes no sense to me anyway, because there are two other garage door events happening in between (close after I pull in, and open in the morning), so why should reverse matter?

Huh? I back into my garage every day, and homelink works every day when I leave. But your explanation makes no sense to me anyway, because there are two other garage door events happening in between (close after I pull in, and open in the morning), so why should reverse matter?
I think what Alt is trying to say is if you pull in to your garage forward, put the car into reverse to adjust the position in the garage, then "P", then homelink will not activate when you leave. I'll have to try this scenario out because I do notice sometimes it auto-skips closing in the software.

My Homelink has worked perfectly from the beginning. I really appreciate the feature.
How do you have it configured, specifically when you initially 'shot' the front sensor with your old garage door opener, how close to the garage door were you and when you set the footage on the configure page? I don't think mine is broken. One thing I wonder is if the intent is that the homelink should close the garage door after you drive into your garage bay. In my case it doesn't as the trash bins are against the back wall on my side of the garage so there is just enough of a path width to walk into the house. If, say, the garbage bins were at the street I could drive forward enough that homelink would close the garage door after I entered. Similarly, I manually open the garage door when I enter the garage from the house as the wall switch is within arms reach upon entering the garage. In your case do you have enough space between the trunk and the garage door that homelink opens the garage for you? In other words it 100% controls the door.

I think what Alt is trying to say is if you pull in to your garage forward, put the car into reverse to adjust the position in the garage, then "P", then homelink will not activate when you leave. I'll have to try this scenario out because I do notice sometimes it auto-skips closing in the software.
Yes, I was describing the forward pull in scenario, not reversing into a garage. I still have the same thing happen on 32.2.2. I am at 100% auto close since I stopped using the camera for positioning. I tested it twice since my first post in this thread and at 0% auto close if I pull in forward, put it in reverse and move a couple inches, park, exit, let it lock itself then get in the car and reverse out of the garage.

• Helpful
Reactions: wcorey
Most people that have this problem are not aware of the actions causing this. If you put the car in reverse when you park the car after pulling into the garage, home link will not activate on the way out. If you need to use the backup camera to make sure you are parked correctly you have two options. Activate the camera using the screen instead of reverse while keeping it in “Drive” or use home link every time you leave. Unfortunately a software fix could solve this but I don’t think the right people have complained enough.
Now that IS informative as I do generally do exactly that. I have a piece of painter's tape on the floor that should just appear in the backup camera to indicate I've pulled forward enough but not too much. As I said in another post, I do have obstacles in from of the car (garbage bins) and the door to the house is offset from the back of the garage by about 5'. If I pull too far forward I create an obstacle course for my wife often with groceries as she manuevers around riding mowers, my car's front etc getting to the steps. Further, that take helps in centering the car. It is much wider than the Prius it replaced and, as it is the collision sensors often goes off upon entering. The car does fit but it's a close fit. Also, I don't pull forward enough for homelink to close the door after me nor do I expect it to open the door as I back out. With the manual door to the house switch I open the door upon entry to the garage and close the door upon exit from the garage into the house.

How do you have it configured, specifically when you initially 'shot' the front sensor with your old garage door opener, how close to the garage door were you and when you set the footage on the configure page? I don't think mine is broken. One thing I wonder is if the intent is that the homelink should close the garage door after you drive into your garage bay. In my case it doesn't as the trash bins are against the back wall on my side of the garage so there is just enough of a path width to walk into the house. If, say, the garbage bins were at the street I could drive forward enough that homelink would close the garage door after I entered. Similarly, I manually open the garage door when I enter the garage from the house as the wall switch is within arms reach upon entering the garage. In your case do you have enough space between the trunk and the garage door that homelink opens the garage for you? In other words it 100% controls the door.

I'm not aware that the distance from the car to the door or opener matters when initially training the Homelink system in the car? Regardless, the car was probably about 10' from the door and 15-18' from the garage door motor/receiver when I set it up.

I have it set to activate the door at 20'. Works perfectly. No I don't expect it to close the door behind me when I pull in nor to open it when I'm ready to leave - that's what the wall switch is for!

Reactions: pilotSteve
1. Obviously, the AWD is faster on a straight line.
2. Can feel the added weight on the front of car. Steering is less direct. RWD was more nimble. From pure driving perspective RWD is more pleasant to drive.
3. Surprisingly, Insurance for AWD is $200 less/year.
4. Pissed with fake leather steering wheel.
5. Missing FSD I got on RWD model for $2k. Current $6k is no go for me.
6. HW3 AP feel is the same as HW2.5
7. Removing garage door opener was a cheap move from Tesla.
8. Came with odd 2019.27.103 version and old maps and will not update.
9. The new one has small and incremental improvements here and there. Same car overall.
10. Fit and finish at delivery still lacking. Few minor paint issues here and there which SC should be able to address.

Do you feel the cornering is better in your AWD M3. I hate when my SR+ RWD brakes the front outside tire in a corner instead of letting my control the slide myself.

Traded in because of the damage in the picture and the $16k repair bill.
It was better financially to trade in vs repair.

It was may 2018 build 22xxx VIN with only 15k miles.
Battery still was showing 325 miles.
The old one was on v10 vs this one stuck on some random sw version.
Got the red one again:)

I’m sorry your car was damaged.

it doesn’t look like $16 K worth of injury. Do you think repair cost are inflated because it’s a Tesla?

Ya know... I am not convinced that's a bad thing. I have HomeLink with my M3 but it only works on arrival. On departure it works maybe MAYBE 20% of the time, likely closer to 10%. I've fiddled with the distance to no avail. There was another owner on here that expressed the exact same phenomenon, leaving the garage it generally won't close the garage door even though it is solid on opening the door. So, one either has to stop and reach over to hit the little green icon then the door icon or have their garage door opener readily available. In the later case HomeLink is irrelevant. Maybe it works better in a gated community opening and closing the gate.

I love homelink on arrival and have homelink on departure turned off because I do prefer to press the button and watch in the rear view mirror if it closed all the way before driving away.

It was definitely a cheap move to not include homelink as standard. It should minimally be included with the premium interior.
Failing that it should at least be a factory option so you could have it installed before you pick the car up.
I'd really like to know Tesla's logic on that one, because I can't quite make sense of any benefit for them.

It's simple - cost/royalty to Homelink. And they are not the only one. GM pulled it out of the 2nd Gen Volt and Bolt not to mention other models...

Actually, not true since the front motor is only used under heavy acceleration or in low traction scenarios. Otherwise, it is just along for the ride. The only thing that the AWD has going for it is a little more front weight bias.

However your tires will likely wear out much faster in the RWD because you don't get the even wear on the AWD.

For a lot cheaper than the $300, you could get a zwave garage door opener (that's if you already have a home with alexa/smartthings/etc). I can open my garage door app and open/close it when I want, or I can also tell Alexa to 'start open garage'

@mswlogo ,@Msjulie ,@remlemasi ,@afadeev :

Just curious, it seems a lot of disagrees but no comments as to why. What is it that you guys disagree on? I was stating this so people can see the alternatives available rather than spending $300 for an option we see some people having issues with.

Many people these days have some form of home automation. And if you have any recent model garage door opener, there's a good chance it's got capability to open/close via your phone (and even potentially through Alexa). But even for garage door openers that don't, there are zwave components you can purchase that will allow you to do the same.

With my garage door opener, I can look at anytime to see the state of the door (open or closed), I can talk to alexa to open/close it, and I also have it programmed to close automatically if it's left open for 5 min.