Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded in my Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@OP
Oh yeah....Show me your musclecar driving you around on autopiliot, while you scroll thru Twitter watching the world burning down around us !....Bet it cant do that !

Kidding....Excellent choice, I applaud it, and your decision to do whatever the fuk you want to do. Good for you.

Also, you totally suck for not including a mean sidewards burnout in the closing...Noob :cool:

@OP
Oh yeah....Show me your musclecar driving you around on autopiliot, while you scroll thru Twitter watching the world burning down around us !....Bet it cant do that !

Kidding....Excellent choice, I applaud it, and your decision to do whatever the fuk you want to do. Good for you.

Also, you totally suck for not including a mean sidewards burnout in the closing...Noob :cool:

Haha...thanks! I appreciate that.

I feel kind of bad about not including a mean sidewards burnout now! I’ll redeem myself in the next video :D

Reactions: NOLADriver
No doubt, the whine of the supercharger even over a recording from the cabin is pretty cool. And up until 2014, I only ever owned manual transmissions .. so I totally get that. But, with full regen braking, instant acceleration and a shiftless, single gear .. the tesla is not a "car" to me, its like a spacecraft or something. its got its own "engine whine", and has more of the equivalent of "thrust" vs rpms/gears. I always loved rowing a transmission, but there's something about good, clean thrust that is pretty damned cool IMO. its such a dramatically different "experience", as you mentioned.

I can't imagine going back to ICE. even if I could get past losing regenerative braking, having to pump gas, expecting more maintenance / things breaking, losing tech like the screen or the app, etc .. I feel like fuel cost would be one of the worst. Besides the literal cost per gallon of gasoline, you can't choose to use less of it if you want to take it easy. I expect that a real performance ICE is going to slurp down fuel no matter how slow you drive it. you couldn't ever get 35mpg out of it. vs a performance EV that is more capable of being efficient when you want it to be (maybe just driving to work everyday), but still also burning huge amounts of power when you decide to put it down. and coming from years of owning gas guzzling BMWs that cost ~$6,000/yr in fuel, that's nothing to sneeze at.

But to each their own, man. enjoy that supercharger.. :D

I briefly considered trading my 3 for a Ford Raptor, but that thought was very brief and I’m glad I didn’t act on it. I did, however, buy a Chevy z71 4x4 pickup as a second vehicle. I just wanted something to drive around in the old abandoned strip mines while carrying my boat/fishing gear. Wish the Y had some actual off roading ability.

No doubt, the whine of the supercharger even over a recording from the cabin is pretty cool. And up until 2014, I only ever owned manual transmissions .. so I totally get that. But, with full regen braking, instant acceleration and a shiftless, single gear .. the tesla is not a "car" to me, its like a spacecraft or something. its got its own "engine whine", and has more of the equivalent of "thrust" vs rpms/gears. I always loved rowing a transmission, but there's something about good, clean thrust that is pretty damned cool IMO. its such a dramatically different "experience", as you mentioned.

I can't imagine going back to ICE. even if I could get past losing regenerative braking, having to pump gas, expecting more maintenance / things breaking, losing tech like the screen or the app, etc .. I feel like fuel cost would be one of the worst. Besides the literal cost per gallon of gasoline, you can't choose to use less of it if you want to take it easy. I expect that a real performance ICE is going to slurp down fuel no matter how slow you drive it. you couldn't ever get 35mpg out of it. vs a performance EV that is more capable of being efficient when you want it to be (maybe just driving to work everyday), but still also burning huge amounts of power when you decide to put it down. and coming from years of owning gas guzzling BMWs that cost ~$6,000/yr in fuel, that's nothing to sneeze at.

But to each their own, man. enjoy that supercharger.. :D

Those things with the Tesla just didn’t add up to the fun factor I was hoping for. The thrust is impressive no doubt. The poor paint quality and fit and finish soured the experience for me as well.

I fortunately don’t have too large of a fuel bill. I like to commute on my motorcycles occasionally which helps. The enjoyment the Hellcat brings is worth it for me.

I briefly considered trading my 3 for a Ford Raptor, but that thought was very brief and I’m glad I didn’t act on it. I did, however, buy a Chevy z71 4x4 pickup as a second vehicle. I just wanted something to drive around in the old abandoned strip mines while carrying my boat/fishing gear. Wish the Y had some actual off roading ability.

I like the Raptor too. It’s a cool truck. I’m excited to see how the Cybertruck and Nikola Badger stack up against it.

10 years from now the Hellcat will be in a junkyard while the M3P will be driving itself fully autonomously.

figuring I still see first gen chargers/300s on a daily basis (15years old) on a old generation hemi or a pre-pentastar V6, the only way this car ends up in a junkyard is if it gets totaled. Make no mistake about it.... in 30 years the HellCat (Prob even just the engine) will be worth much more than a Model 3. I don’t foresee the Model 3 worth much in ten years with the original battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
Done! After 24 months from delivery.

P3D+
Stratos F1 ceramic tint
LaminX reverse light and rear side marker tint
Chrome delete
Hanshow V4 power trunk
Eibach Pro Kit
UP front and rear sway bars
UP front and rear ascension fascias
VS Forged VS10 20x9 +32 and 20x10.5 +40

E112DEA2-8E44-4741-A1BE-56CAFA7C3AB6.jpeg

A2768650-2B44-472E-8C8F-9D2D76E184FB.jpeg

60F6D9F7-2648-44E9-9F34-455D04C0F41D.jpeg

Im all for the big motor sedans. I came from a Chevy SS manual sedan. It is still my favorite daily driver car Ive ever bought. I just have a long commute though and I was wasting its talents sitting in LA traffic and gas was costing me 420 a month. I went to the Performance and for my purposes of commuting to work it serves me well. I have another car in the garage for weekend shenanigans.

I have had a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T and a 2017 Dodge Charger R/T (just turned lease in) and planning on going to a Tesla Model 3!

I drive a alot for work, so unfortunately looking for something more fuel efficient! LOL, I have a heavy foot and averaged about 15 mpg in the city!

• Funny
Reactions: T3SLAROD
I have had a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T and a 2017 Dodge Charger R/T (just turned lease in) and planning on going to a Tesla Model 3!

I drive a alot for work, so unfortunately looking for something more fuel efficient! LOL, I have a heavy foot and averaged about 15 mpg in the city!

Exactly why I got rid of my Focus RS. Gas was killing me. I don’t have a performance Model 3 but the LR RWD does the job well as a commuter, less stress sitting in traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I don’t foresee the Model 3 worth much in ten years with the original battery.

I am looking forward to seeing how the batteries age. I still drive a plug in hybrid, and the battery is now almost 7 years old. its design isn't as good as tesla's, it is not thermally managed, and I live in a hot environment. the battery has been subjected to the worst charging regime possible: daily full 100-0% charge and burn cycle and long periods sitting at 0% or fully charged .. and it has lost about 40% of its original capacity.

I expect tesla to do much, much better than that. and even if it didn't, 60% of a model 3 capacity is still a very usable car around town. older, reliable EVs will just make their way into the hands of all the people who can't afford new ones. Which will be a good thing..

I’ve been lurking here for a while and appreciate all the guidance I received. I recently traded in my Model 3 Performance for a Charger Hellcat Widebody. I posted a video with some of the reasons why I made the trade. I know not many are cross shopping between the two, but hopefully this will help some future prospective owners with their purchase. Now I just need to convince my wife she needs a Model Y Performance for the best of both worlds!

Why I TRADED My TESLA MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE for a HELLCAT CHARGER WIDEBODY!
I mean... in my opinion this trade-in comparison is as relevant and thought provoking as telling someone you prefer a hamburger over a waffle. It's a cool car though and understand your personal nostalgia, congrats!

The OP purchased a car that will increase in value once EVs take over. Like he said, EVs are the future and there will be plenty to choose from 10 years from now. This SRT Hellcat is a classic car compared to a M3P.

Classic? They are putting that HEMI engine in EVERYTHING. The charger body is *sugar* so... nothing special about the Hellcat anymore.

Classic? They are putting that HEMI engine in EVERYTHING. The charger body is *sugar* so... nothing special about the Hellcat anymore.

The HellCat motor in any variant only sold about 6-7k last year. Maybe gets to 10. That's pretty rare. In contrast, the Model 3 sold 300,000 last year. Not to mention EV is the future - HellCats will definitely be classic as ICE goes away and EV takes over. You would be delirious to think otherwise.

Im all for the big motor sedans. I came from a Chevy SS manual sedan. It is still my favorite daily driver car Ive ever bought. I just have a long commute though and I was wasting its talents sitting in LA traffic and gas was costing me 420 a month. I went to the Performance and for my purposes of commuting to work it serves me well. I have another car in the garage for weekend shenanigans.
I had a 2015 Chevy SS too, loved that car, but found myself wanting to drive the 3 more, so hated to see it sit in the garage so I sold it.

I currently drive a Charger and can’t wait for the moment COVID is over so I can order a Model 3. I won’t miss the gas station, maintenance and just how big the car is. It’s been a good car, but the future is clear.

Although the Hellcat is typically my daily driver, I commute a lot less than most and drive because I enjoy it. For me the trade offs are worth it, but probably wouldn't be for someone sitting in traffic every day. I don't think you can find a better daily commuter than the Model 3 if that's its main purpose.

I likely would have kept the M3P if I had a commute similar to yours. I've heard great things about those SS sedans. It seems they are often overlooked and don't get the credit they deserve.

I mean... in my opinion this trade-in comparison is as relevant and thought provoking as telling someone you prefer a hamburger over a waffle. It's a cool car though and understand your personal nostalgia, congrats!

Thanks! I figured someone, somewhere would eventually be in a similar situation as me looking for a fun fast four door sedan. I'm sure I wasn't the typical Model 3 owner though.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White