Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded my M3P for an RS3 - My thoughts on both cars for what it's worth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gorgeous RS3.

I was planning on cross shopping the RS3 with the 3 Performance when I bought in 2019 and after sitting in a friends S3 I came to the conclusion I would never be able to fit in one comfortably and especially with a helmet on for Autox, way too tight inside imo.

Gorgeous RS3.

I was planning on cross shopping the RS3 with the 3 Performance when I bought in 2019 and after sitting in a friends S3 I came to the conclusion I would never be able to fit in one comfortably and especially with a helmet on for Autox, way too tight inside imo.
Yeah reasonable conclusion. I'm not a big guy so I don't have any issues. Front seats are a little more cramped than an M3P. Rear seats are much smaller. It's an embarrassment of riches that we have performance cars like the RS3 and the M3P available to us at 60kish. I've had my Audi for a week and I love it but in terms of straight line performance, it doesn't bring me the grin of flooring a charged M3P.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Will never go back to a gas car. Gas stations are disgusting and tail pipe emissions are toxic.

Model 3 interior is great. Audi interiors look out dated. Enjoy the gas guzzling polluter I guess? Although not sure how you can enjoy pumping tens to hundreds of pounds of Co2 into the atmosphere per week/month in 2022.

The few people's reasons that strangely go back to gas cars are weird

Will never go back to a gas car. Gas stations are disgusting and tail pipe emissions are toxic.

Model 3 interior is great. Audi interiors look out dated. Enjoy the gas guzzling polluter I guess? Although not sure how you can enjoy pumping tens to hundreds of pounds of Co2 into the atmosphere per week/month in 2022.

People do not buy these cars for the sole purpose of saving the world. Many buy cars for the enjoyment of driving.

If you want to save the world, you are not going to do it with an electric car, at least not in the short term. The electricity you use to charge your car, the energy used in the production of these cars, the sourcing of raw materials for the batteries, and the batteries themselves, are all examples that in the present day, these cars pollute the world. Still, I would like to believe it is a step in the right direction.

I think that If you truly want to reduce CO2 emissions, you might want to look at making sure you are not buying into fast fashion, reducing your electricity usage, reducing your intake of red meat, etc. Overall reducing your carbon footprint by reducing consumption.

To each their own regarding interior but I'll take an Audi interior any day of the week over a Model 3 interior. The quality of materials being the biggest difference. I can live with the starkness of the Tesla but let's not pretend they are using high end materials. I rarely hear people describe them as "great" but I'm glad you feel that way about yours.

As to your second point, yes, I admit it. I didn't buy my M3P to save the world. I bought it because it's fast and fun. I'm not going to engage you in an argument over whether an EV is better for the environment than an ICE. You are entitled to your opinion. As I mentioned up thread, if I didn't buy the Audi, someone else would have. If you purchased your Tesla to save the environment, then good for you. I certainly can't argue with your intentions. Enjoy your Tesla. This is a great forum and community and I appreciate the debate. Looking forward to returning when the next M3P is released (with a better interior of course) :)

To each their own regarding interior but I'll take an Audi interior any day of the week over a Model 3 interior. The quality of materials being the biggest difference. I can live with the starkness of the Tesla but let's not pretend they are using high end materials. I rarely hear people describe them as "great" but I'm glad you feel that way about yours.

As to your second point, yes, I admit it. I didn't buy my M3P to save the world. I bought it because it's fast and fun. I'm not going to engage you in an argument over whether an EV is better for the environment than an ICE. You are entitled to your opinion. As I mentioned up thread, if I didn't buy the Audi, someone else would have. If you purchased your Tesla to save the environment, then good for you. I certainly can't argue with your intentions. Enjoy your Tesla. This is a great forum and community and I appreciate the debate. Looking forward to returning when the next M3P is released (with a better interior of course) :)

I'd rather have a tri-motor vs. a better interior...to each their own 😆

I went from a 718 Porsche Cayman GTS to a 2022 M3P. The quality on the Porsche is better of course. But like the console layout better on the M3P. To me the RS3 while better quality interior, the layout design is kind of dated. For a better layout I like the Mercedes new high end layout on their top end electric car as well as the Porsche Taycan. The one thing I miss is the engine sound, but a 4 banger so I switched. Maybe if it was the 6 I would of stayed gas a little bit longer.

To each their own regarding interior but I'll take an Audi interior any day of the week over a Model 3 interior. The quality of materials being the biggest difference. I can live with the starkness of the Tesla but let's not pretend they are using high end materials.

This is in no way intended as criticism - it's just commentary:

The quilted leather seats and real carbon fiber trim in my previous Audi S6 LOOKED great, no doubt about it. Thing is, I find the seats in my Model 3 FEEL better, especially on longer drives. Something about the cushioning that is "just right". The Audi's seats gave me the squirms after a couple of hours.

As for the CF trim, I personally didn't like it as well as the open-pore wood on my Model 3. The other thing about the Audi interior was the various bits of chrome on the center console that reflected sunlight into my eyes - happened more often than one might think.

As far as materials quality, I recently had the chance to go a long ride with a friend in their MB GLC 300 SUV. Nothing in that interior seemed as solid as the interior of my Model 3. Flexy door cards, cheap-feeling console lid, steering wheel not great, etc. Again, it looks nice enough from a distance, but the reality is less than the initial impression.

All that to say: Audi's interiors are very nice. They're (IMO) not as far ahead of the industry norm as they used to be.

That said, the Scandinavian minimalism of the Tesla's interior fits my style better. and though some might think it looks like it's not as well built, the reality is that the materials are high-quality.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
This is in no way intended as criticism - it's just commentary:

The quilted leather seats and real carbon fiber trim in my previous Audi S6 LOOKED great, no doubt about it. Thing is, I find the seats in my Model 3 FEEL better, especially on longer drives. Something about the cushioning that is "just right". The Audi's seats gave me the squirms after a couple of hours.

As for the CF trim, I personally didn't like it as well as the open-pore wood on my Model 3. The other thing about the Audi interior was the various bits of chrome on the center console that reflected sunlight into my eyes - happened more often than one might think.

As far as materials quality, I recently had the chance to go a long ride with a friend in their MB GLC 300 SUV. Nothing in that interior seemed as solid as the interior of my Model 3. Flexy door cards, cheap-feeling console lid, steering wheel not great, etc. Again, it looks nice enough from a distance, but the reality is less than the initial impression.

All that to say: Audi's interiors are very nice. They're (IMO) not as far ahead of the industry norm as they used to be.

That said, the Scandinavian minimalism of the Tesla's interior fits my style better. and though some might think it looks like it's not as well built, the reality is that the materials are high-quality.
You make excellent points. I personally thought the M3P interior felt cheap and looked cheap. Maybe white seats would have helped but at the time I preferred to spend the 1k on the paint over the seats. I also agree with you regarding Audi. I think their interiors have taken a step back and others have caught up. The RS3 interior doesn't meet the level I remember from my older S4s. But, I find the design and style sportier than the Tesla which makes sense since Tesla isn't really going for that anyway. To get my money the next time around, I think Tesla needs to do more to differentiate the M3P from the LR. Making the interior different and sportier to match the true intentions of the car would go a long way for me. Within a year or two, Tesla is going to be pressured by market forces to do this whether they like it or not. If I were buying a new EV today, and I want a sports sedan, I'd probably take a hard look at the i4 M50. I had one on order before the RS3 popped up. Apples to apples, there is a big price difference once the tax credit burns off but the BMW would get my attention.

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLAROD and tm1v2