Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded my M3P for an RS3 - My thoughts on both cars for what it's worth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weekend, I parted ways with my beloved 2021 M3P for an RS3. This transaction was not really on my radar but I received an unsolicited call from my local Audi dealer that they had an unspoken for allocation for a 2023 RS3 (Kayalmi Green no less) and gave me about an hour to decide before moving on to the next person. The RS3 is extremely hard to come by and I was told previously wait times were upwards of 2 years. Prior to my M3P, I have owned Porsche, BMW and Audis. I very much enjoyed my M3P and believe electric is the future. However, when given the opportunity to grab an ICE (perhaps for the last time), I felt compelled to do the deal. That and the fact that I was given an excellent trade in value on my Tesla made the math work for me. Here are the things I will miss and not miss about my Tesla for those considering similar trades:

Pros
1. Jaw dropping acceleration. The Tesla is just a freaking rocket ship and it's very apparent compared to the RS3 that the Tesla is faster. Instant torque on demand that never ends. The Audi, by comparison, feels slow. Hard to believe given it's a 3.5 second car.
2. Quick steering. This was my favorite feature of the Tesla. The steering is quick, precise and perfectly weighted. The RS3 is no slouch but the steering is lighter in feel and doesn't provide as much feedback.
3. Never filling up for gas. Not elaboration needed. I'm already sick at the thought of needing to go to a gas station.
4. OTA updates, new features and amazing infotainment. The Audi MMI is cooler but nothing beats the OTA updates and superb navigation of the Tesla. I found using android auto annoying and clumsy by comparison.

Cons
1. Rough ride. The suspension on the M3P is pretty rough. I did have mine lowered on eibach springs but tbh it was just as bad before as well. The RS3 is plenty firm as well but it does not crash over bumps like the Tesla did. Even this weekend, I prepared myself to cringe over typical road hazards only to find the Audi dealt with them far better. Tesla needs to improve this.
2. Interior. Here is probably the biggest drawback to the Tesla IMHO. The interior build is just not up to par for a $55k car. Tesla desperately needs to improve this going forward. I know this is news to no one but honestly if the interior were better, I might have kept it. In comparison, the RS3 is like a dream. Sport seats with quilted leather, interior led lighting, carbon fiber trim. All of this and the base price for an RS3 is only 5k more than the M3P. Just an entirely different experience. I will not buy another Tesla until they up their interior game.
3. Range anxiety. Yes, it's real at least for me. I only took a couple of road trips and despite the easy process of finding a supercharger, I found each trip to be a PIA due to having to plan around stops. On a recent trip, the nearest supercharger was 15 miles past my destination. That destination was 45 minutes away due to traffic and added 3 hours to my trip overall. This is obviously part of the EV game and its fine but it was far from ideal.
4. Decreased performance on lower charge. This always bugged me after I took delivery. I did my research but did not realize that performance would degrade so quickly as SOC reduced. For a performance car, I found this bothersome and it was very prevalent in the cold months. Not being able to get 100% performance out of my 55k after 70SOC was a bummer. Yes, the car remained quick at all times but it wasn't the same as 90 SOC.

All in all, I very much enjoyed my M3P and will own one again someday. I have nothing but praise for the car overall - despite my list of complaints above. The RS3 is on another level in terms of interior feel and driving engagement. Yes, I missed shifting (dual clutch) and breaking. This is probably my last hurrah with an ICE. I'll probably keep stopping by here from time to time to check in. If you own an M3P or have one on order, it's an awesome car and you can't go wrong with one. I'll add some pics shortly.
IMG_20220910_135233_01.jpg

Attachments

• Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Nice comparison. I definitely really like the new RS3, and while I'm not seriously looking for any vehicle change currently, it is on the radar as a potential future replacement. One thing I did want to know: how do they compare in size?

@clerks - Enjoy your RS. Going back to an ICE car only is not on my radar, but owning a classic with manual trans as an extra hobby car does appeal to me.

Perhaps Tesla will redesign the 3 with structural battery and gigacastings. That should reduce mass and improve body stiffness. Plus there surely will be many other advancements by then. That would be a good time to trade the RS and get back into a M3P.

GSP

Reactions: clerks
Hey man, I remember you selling some part/s I cannot remember on the Tesla parts for sale section. In all honesty, if I had gotten an allocation for an RS3 in that color at MSRP, I wouldn't have thought twice.

Congrats and enjoy!

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Nice Audi man. Out of all the dealerships I went to for a quote on my '21 M3P, Audi offered me the most so I respect them a lot more. While I was waiting at their showroom, I can't help but notice how nice the interiors are on some of their cars. For a second it almost made me want to buy an Audi lol, Thankfully, that all changed once I saw people waiting in the dealership while their cars are being serviced.

Nice comparison. I definitely really like the new RS3, and while I'm not seriously looking for any vehicle change currently, it is on the radar as a potential future replacement. One thing I did want to know: how do they compare in size?
It's definitely smaller in the back seat area. Trunk is surprisingly large. But the rear really isn't going to work for adults unlike the Tesla beyond short trips. My kids are 12 and 9 and we have a family SUV.

Oh and btw, just wanted to ask for future reference. Did you return the car 100% back to stock, or did you sell it with some/all modifications?

The only real mods were my lowering springs, aftermarket wheels and some carbon add ons. I left the car as is and I think they probably dinged me a grand or two on the trade value as a result. But I still go more than I paid for the Tesla in trade. It also needed 4 new tires. I probably could have done better returning to stock but it wasn't worth it the time.

Reactions: santua
Thanks for the great writeup and fair comparison. Very few of us will ever go back to an old-fashioned piston slapper so it's interesting to get an occasional glimpse over the fence.

+1

I have thought about trying to get a "fun" car for weekend driving, but then realize that it would basically be a garage queen. I wont be going back to ICE vehicles myself, but I still appreciate a good one.

I also really appreciate posts / reviews that feel "fair" and are neither "Tesla does nothing right!!!!" or "Tesla does everything perfect!!!"

Congrats OP, nice car, enjoy the ride 👍

You're mostly right about the performance being lower as SOC drops, although it's not that dramatic at 70%. Battery temperature can also affect it, it's downright funny in the winter... Mind you, an ICE car would require proper warming (self-restraint) before you mash the pedal if you want to keep the car healthy. Also note that a turbo will not always provide full power, the intercooler will heat soak in traffic for example. The first couple pulls after will lack power. Nothing is perfect :)

Nice car, enjoy!

Reactions: TBrownTX and santua