Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded my M3P for an RS3 - My thoughts on both cars for what it's worth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, like I said...same range. They are both 11 second cars. A simple flash tune on the Audi and you're mid-to-low 11s all day long. And you can go much faster from there if you want, unlike the M3P.
You definitely can, but I had an FBO E85 Golf R before my M3P that was a 11.1s car and I was always worried about it blowing up. I actually had my rear Haldex fail and luckily my local dealer looked the other way on some of the mods and I was able to get it warrantied although it nearly ended up costing me $8K. Before that I had a Subaru STi that I actually blew up and ended up rebuilding the motor with forged internals, making 500whp and being a 10 second car (on the rare occasions that it didn't have some other issue since it was super finicky).

My goal with my M3P was to just get a car that was fast enough with a fully intact warranty, I'm done sinking gobs of money into mods. The RS3 meets that criteria in stock form as well.

Last edited:
You definitely can, but I had an FBO E85 Golf R before my M3P that was a 11.1s car and I was always worried about it blowing up. I actually had my rear Haldex fail and luckily my local dealer looked the other way on some of the mods and I was able to get it warrantied although it nearly ended up costing me $8K. Before that I had a Subaru STi that I actually blew up and ended up rebuilding the motor with forged internals, making 500whp and being a 10 second car (on the rare occasions that it didn't have some other issue since it was super finicky).

My goal with my M3P was to just get a car that was fast enough with a fully intact warranty, I'm done sinking gobs of money into mods. The RS3 meets that criteria in stock form as well.
Hello from a former 2017 Golf R stage 2 FBO with E85 tune owner! DSG fart FTW!! Once you cross the line with the stage 2 FBO, you will never go back to the stock because the stock power and response is too slow.
That corn juice (E85) is amazing stuff when it comes to raise the boost with cleaner and cooler burning.
However, you always have to monitor everything due to increased power and tune, you are always at risk of blowing something up.
FullSizeRender(13).jpg

Yeah, it's important to actually build a car rather than just mod it to go faster. That's part of the game for sure. Done right, you can build a reliable car that goes like hell. Unfortunately, too many people just try to take shortcuts and go for whatever power adders they can without considering the entire package. A guy I know built a big turbo A4 and when he inevitabily blew it up, he had to build the bottom end of the engine to handle the power and then he was fine. Had he done it right from the beginning, he would have saved himself a lot of time/money/aggravation.

I had A3 and Q3 loaners from Audi and they were very tight and small inside. Definitely smaller/narrower (interior) than Model 3.

Yeah, like I said...the A3 is a smaller car than the Model 3. A better size comparison is the Model 3 and the Audi A5. They are pretty much the same dimensions. Inside, the Audi is still tighter, but that's the way Germans tend to build their cars....with a "tight" cockpit type feel.

My goal with my M3P was to just get a car that was fast enough with a fully intact warranty, I'm done sinking gobs of money into mods.

I've never had a stock car that was close to as quick as the current M3P. I'm kind of enjoying know I can't really "tune" anything, it saves me from myself :D

(Though some coil overs would be nice ... 😅)

I've never had a stock car that was close to as quick as the current M3P. I'm kind of enjoying know I can't really "tune" anything, it saves me from myself :D

(Though some coil overs would be nice ... 😅)
Yeah...done with modding cars. I'm lazy 😁.

I think if I just wanted something faster, I'd go Plaid...just think the Model S is too big for me to like. If they had a tri-motor Model 3, I'd be first in line 😀

Yeah...done with modding cars. I'm lazy 😁.

I think if I just wanted something faster, I'd go Plaid...just think the Model S is too big for me to like. If they had a tri-motor Model 3, I'd be first in line 😀

OMG, hahaha, I was intending to install something on the previous ride, and I literally laid in the garage, with the car not fully lifted yet, just not even wanting to start (I didn't, had a local shop toss it on).

Me 20 years ago:

"Hey dude, can I use your engine lift? I'm doing a head / cam this weekend."

Me 2 years ago:

*calls local exhaust shop*

"Can you guys install an X-pipe?"

Either a Tri-Motor or just a Model 3 "R" with a better suspension, bigger wheels/tires, some more aggressive aero and another 100-150HP (but still 2 motors). Maybe another 10kW or so ...

And put a HUD in the Y and 3, no need to redesign the dash, just needs a cutout and projector (and support electronics which would be minimal).

OMG, hahaha, I was intending to install something on the previous ride, and I literally laid in the garage, with the car not fully lifted yet, just not even wanting to start (I didn't, had a local shop toss it on).

Me 20 years ago:

"Hey dude, can I use your engine lift? I'm doing a head / cam this weekend."

Me 2 years ago:

*calls local exhaust shop*

"Can you guys install an X-pipe?"

Either a Tri-Motor or just a Model 3 "R" with a better suspension, bigger wheels/tires, some more aggressive aero and another 100-150HP (but still 2 motors). Maybe another 10kW or so ...

And put a HUD in the Y and 3, no need to redesign the dash, just needs a cutout and projector (and support electronics which would be minimal).

I'll keep my M3P until a better version comes out. Honestly, I'd be highly tempted by a Cybercar... no need to wash the thing, bullet proof, no more door dings. 😁

Cons
1. Rough ride. The suspension on the M3P is pretty rough. I did have mine lowered on eibach springs but tbh it was just as bad before as well. The RS3 is plenty firm as well but it does not crash over bumps like the Tesla did. Even this weekend, I prepared myself to cringe over typical road hazards only to find the Audi dealt with them far better. Tesla needs to improve this.
2. Interior. Here is probably the biggest drawback to the Tesla IMHO. The interior build is just not up to par for a $55k car. Tesla desperately needs to improve this going forward. I know this is news to no one but honestly if the interior were better, I might have kept it. In comparison, the RS3 is like a dream. Sport seats with quilted leather, interior led lighting, carbon fiber trim. All of this and the base price for an RS3 is only 5k more than the M3P. Just an entirely different experience. I will not buy another Tesla until they up their interior game.
This pretty much sums up my gripes with the M3. Rough ride being #1. Just bought some adjustable Tein shocks and I'm hoping that will tame the jarring ride. I'll post up a review when I get them on. Aside from that, I'm spending a lot of time hunting for rattles. I don't even mind the cheap "minimalist" look, I even kind of like it, but everything seems to be rattling or falling apart after 66k hard miles on bumpy roads.

This pretty much sums up my gripes with the M3. Rough ride being #1. Just bought some adjustable Tein shocks and I'm hoping that will tame the jarring ride. I'll post up a review when I get them on. Aside from that, I'm spending a lot of time hunting for rattles. I don't even mind the cheap "minimalist" look, I even kind of like it, but everything seems to be rattling or falling apart after 66k hard miles on bumpy roads.

That's the first time I've ever heard (read) anyone say that about the standard range car. I thought the only complains were from owners of the Performance model. And from what I've heard, the newest Performance Model 3 cars are being built with softer springs to make the ride more tolerable. Some have suggested that the suspension in the Performace is the same as the Long Range cars.

Mine is an early 2019 and I know Tesla made some improvements over the years. Could be an earlier iteration suspension problem. I will admit that my buddy's 2021 model Y has much better ride quality. But mine crashes and thuds over every road imperfection, sending a shock through the whole car, probably exacerbating the afore-mentioned rattles. Roads in my area are pretty rough, but I've driven dozens of other vehicles on the same roads. My 3 is the only car that just feels overwhelmed by the bumps, sewer covers, expansion joints, train tracks, etc.

Mine is an early 2019 and I know Tesla made some improvements over the years. Could be an earlier iteration suspension problem. I will admit that my buddy's 2021 model Y has much better ride quality. But mine crashes and thuds over every road imperfection, sending a shock through the whole car, probably exacerbating the afore-mentioned rattles. Roads in my area are pretty rough, but I've driven dozens of other vehicles on the same roads. My 3 is the only car that just feels overwhelmed by the bumps, sewer covers, expansion joints, train tracks, etc.
When I first got my M3P I initially thought how much I loved the firm suspension. It felt sporty. That quickly morphed into a complete dislike of the suspension. The car crashes over everything in its way. It's bone-jarring here in Western Pa. where the roads are terrible. Coming from a history of smaller hot hatch type cars, my tolerance for a suspension like that is higher than most. I have heard the later models are better but mine was a 2021 so I shutter to think of what the earlier versions were like.

When I first got my M3P I initially thought how much I loved the firm suspension. It felt sporty. That quickly morphed into a complete dislike of the suspension. The car crashes over everything in its way. It's bone-jarring here in Western Pa. where the roads are terrible. Coming from a history of smaller hot hatch type cars, my tolerance for a suspension like that is higher than most. I have heard the later models are better but mine was a 2021 so I shutter to think of what the earlier versions were like.

Anything with the 20s feel like there is no suspension travel. I've gone to 18s on my 2019 M3P and the ride is much much better. Yes...it doesn't look as good but the driveability upgrade makes it worthwhile for me.

Reactions: Cypcode
Anything with the 20s feel like there is no suspension travel. I've gone to 18s on my 2019 M3P and the ride is much much better. Yes...it doesn't look as good but the driveability upgrade makes it worthwhile for me.
Having switched to 18s on my M3P, and then separately installed coilovers, I can say they both play a significant part in the ride and handling - different parts. Neither is a substitute for the other.

My late 2021 M3P came with a pretty soft, almost bouncy suspension. Rode alright (nothing special), better than a 2021 MYLR at least. Handled like crap when pushed hard. The M3P I test drove felt exactly the same (and was built within a week or two of the one I purchased).

The coilovers I went with are firmer than stock suspension (firmer springs), you can tell, but when the going gets rough and fast they actually ride MUCH better than stock. Tesla definitely missed the mark on the stock suspension, they could've made it ride better or handle better or even both, with no real downside. But I think they prioritized cheap cost even for the M3P.

An early Model 3 that I drove again recently (I briefly drove the same car when it was new) rode and handled firmer than I recall my late 2021 feeling before I modded it. And yeah the older ones have more wind noise too. NVH is just better on the newer Model 3's.

TBH though, I've never been impressed by the ride or handling of the smaller Audis. Every A4/S4 I've been in kind of rode like crap for a "luxury" car, and the handling wasn't anything special either out of the box. A3 was meh. Some bigger Audis had a nice ride quality though. But I haven't been in the latest Audis, probably nothing newer than 2012-ish. The OP's RS3 looks like a different beast than the older Audi's I've driven or ridden in.

Reactions: S2K_MoZo